The Manchester United Thread

Fair enough. Dont get me wrong im not knocking the Man U academy its clearly one of the best in the country if not Europe, I personally just wouldnt call a player signed at 16 a product of that academy when most players are scouted and signed and educated from 10+ or there abouts.

EDIT - The Barca list, yeah i defo wouldnt consider a player at 17, to be a La Masia product.

Fair enough, just like "world class" this term is also each to their own. I for one would consider any player who played for academy as academy player.

Jesus? two differing points that didnt explode into a vitrol multipage thread?!?!? the internet is broken people!! :)

Its purely a preference thing, 17 I think is a bit old to claim, there should be a new term.. from Dug up to Diamond...

Rooney = Product of Everton, Developed/Educated/Polished at United. Something like that.

Last edited:
Jesus? two differing points that didnt explode into a vitrol multipage thread?!?!? the internet is broken people!!

Its purely a preference thing, 17 I think is a bit old to claim, there should be a new term.. from Dug up to Diamond...

Rooney = Product of Everton, Developed/Educated/Polished at United. Something like that.

Again different way of judging, Ronaldo is a Sporting Lisbon product even if he joined them when he was 12-13.

For me if the player played for academy before playing for first team football elsewhere then he is academy product.

If Januzaj played for Belgian club before joining ManUtd then I would have said he is not MU academy product.

Like I said each one have their own definition, I go with what Mr.MUJAC twitter guy goes with.

Also Southampton twitter posted in Dec last year that Lallana was a Everton fan, he couldn't care less to join their arch rivals and that too by going on strike.

Like many said, the club players support as a boy has very little importance.

Again different way of judging, Ronaldo is a Sporting Lisbon product even if he joined them when he was 12-13.

For me if the player played for academy before playing for first team football elsewhere then he is academy product.

If Januzaj played for Belgian club before joining ManUtd then I would have said he is not MU academy product.

Like I said each one have their own definition, I go with what Mr.MUJAC twitter guy goes with.

He was at Brussels, then Anderlect for 5+ years before MU, so Adnan isnt.

Also Southampton twitter posted in Dec last year that Lallana was a Everton fan, he couldn't care less to join their arch rivals and that too by going on strike.

Like many said, the club players support as a boy has very little importance.

It's a bit of an unfair comparison though because the difference between Liverpool and Everton is huge. One is in the champions league and challenging for tht title. The other is a mid-table club that somewhat overachieved but is happy where it is

It's a bit of an unfair comparison though because the difference between Liverpool and Everton is huge. One is in the champions league and challenging for tht title. The other is a mid-table club that somewhat overachieved but is happy where it is

And last 3 years that Mid table happy club finished above Liverpool.

He was at Brussels, then Anderlect for 5+ years before MU, so Adnan isnt.

Funny isn't it how whole world says Puyol is Barca born and bred when he joined at 17 and considered their product and Messi is considered as crown jewel of their academy and rightly so.

Last 3 years doesn't matter. Lallana is making the move considering the current situation, not the situation 3 years ago

I know but Liverpool and Everton were both on more or less same level for years and Lallana couldn't care less to join Liverpool.

Same with Ramsey when ManUtd won double, he still chose Arsenal as he thought it was best for his career.

Edit: So if ManUtd and Everton make a move for the same player, Everton are more likely to win the race as they finished ahead?
I don't know, it didn't work with manager for sure. Van Gaal didn't think twice to reject Spurs as soon as ManUtd came calling.

I know but Liverpool and Everton were both on more or less same level for years and Lallana couldn't care less to join Liverpool.

Same with Ramsey when ManUtd won double, he still chose Arsenal as he thought it was best for his career.

They were on the same level for years but now they are not. That's what I am saying. Which is probably why chose Liverpool. Also worth mentioning that it's not like Everton made an offer for him so he won't just stay at Southampton because he doesn't want to play for Liverpool. Similar situation with Fab

I agree with you in general though, the club the player supports matters little in the grand scheme of things but will obviously tip him one way or another if everything else is similar

They were on the same level for years but now they are not. That's what I am saying. Which is probably why chose Liverpool. Also worth mentioning that it's not like Everton made an offer for him so he won't just stay at Southampton because he doesn't want to play for Liverpool. Similar situation with Fab

I agree with you in general though, the club the player supports matters little in the grand scheme of things but will obviously tip him one way or another if everything else is similar

Everything was similar when it came to Ramsey and Smalling and both chose clubs that they didn't support.

Edit: I think the point is clear as you also agree it matters very little.

On the wanted list: Vidal, plus any of Nigel de Jong, Daley Blind, Stefan De Vrij, Edinson Cavani and William Carvalho.

From Mark Ogden's article published today for Telegraph.

Seriously, Edinson Cavani? He's ****** tosh for the price we'd have to pay.

I've written an article on Stretty News about how signing William Carvalho now could make up for us losing Paul Pogba.

Have a read and let me know what you think.

William Cavalho - Manchester United's Paul Pogba replacementStretty News | Manchester United Blog

It's a solid article. The one thing I would say though is that you don't really make a strong argument for Carvalho being Pogba's replacement. It seems unnecessary to compare the two, and the fact that you only look at their defensive stats highlights the fact that they really do fill rather different roles. I feel like you could have been much more productive focussing on the Matic angle that you bring up later.

Players age when they joined Barca (as per Wiki).. Not sure if anyone says they are not La Masia products.

Valdes - 13
Puyol - 17
Xavi - 11
Iniesta - 12
Biscuits - 17
Pedtro - 17
Messi - 13
Tello - 11

My sides

On the wanted list: Vidal, plus any of Nigel de Jong, Daley Blind, Stefan De Vrij, Edinson Cavani and William Carvalho.

From Mark Ogden's article published today for Telegraph.

Seriously, Edinson Cavani? He's ****** tosh for the price we'd have to pay.
Vidal,Carvalho,De Vrij that would be a great window for me.

I just love all these rival fans constantly digging at Rooney (mainly on twitter), it's going to make him a whole lot hungrier for next season and that's when he's at his best.

Anyone who mocks Rooney hasn't seen his stats for United... yes... we're gutted to have him still. Judging him off last season where it was an absolute disaster for the whole club is just stupid (but you can expect that from a lot of people).

Only thing I would say is, his last season weren't the best but he was still one of our better players, if not the best anyway.

Back