The Manchester United Thread

Makes you wonder why we're holding back on bidding big for these players (Vidal, Carvalho) when the money we get from all these different types of sponsorships alone the club receives will easily cover it.

We are not holding back, we paid 28 Million for Herrera and 27 Million for Shaw. Before that 37 Million for Mata and 27 Million for Fellaini.

We don't know what is holding up the deal, who knows maybe they don't want to move to ManUtd.

Also re Carvalho, just because we have money doesn't mean we have to spend 37 Million pounds on him. He just had 1 good season and we should try to bring the price down as much as possible. He is way too overpriced.

We are not holding back, we paid 28 Million for Herrera and 27 Million for Shaw. Before that 37 Million for Mata and 27 Million for Fellaini.

We don't know what is holding up the deal, who knows maybe they don't want to move to ManUtd.

Also re Carvalho, just because we have money doesn't mean we have to spend 37 Million pounds on him. He just had 1 good season and we should try to bring the price down as much as possible. He is way too overpriced.

Carvalho is a unique type of player that is hard to come by, fact is even if we wanted to look elsewhere we'd struggle for alternatives.

Whilst I can understand the price may become inflated, we have to realise we cause our own problems a lot of the time from these types of situations. One only needs to look at Vidal and Strootman who were available before they became what they are now at their previous clubs, for much smaller fees.

Could very well become a similar situation with Carvalho, we need to get him now, before he makes his mark even more and he goes elsewhere. Which will happen eventually.

Last edited:
Carvalho is a unique type of player that is hard to come by, fact is even if we wanted to look elsewhere we'd struggle for alternatives.

Whilst I can understand the price may become inflated, we have to realise we cause our own problems a lot of the time from these types of situations. One only needs to look at Vidal and Strootman who were available before they became what they are now at their previous clubs, for much smaller fees.

Could very well become a similar situation with Carvalho, we need to get him now, before he makes his mark even more and he goes elsewhere. Which will happen eventually.

I have not watched Carvalho so don't know how unique he was. Going by what I read he is very very highly rated but still it's very high price for player with only 1 good year and that too in Portuguese league.

It's not my money so I don't have any problem if we sign him for that price but IMO that's still way OTT for a young player.

Makes you wonder why we're holding back on bidding big for these players (Vidal, Carvalho) when the money we get from all these different types of sponsorships alone the club receives will easily cover it.

Its the 3rd of July, We've already spend £55m I think we're on excellent course.

Daley Blind says Hi

The simple fact is that not every single deal can be north of 30m. Dont be too surprised if we buy a couple of 10m players

I'm sorry but Vidal and Strootman were about 10m+ each, while Carvalho is being quoted for 37.5m. That amount is simply way too much for someone like Carvalho.

However, I'm rather ****** off at how every single player that we are linked to would cost us at least 30m+. Where do the media get these figures from? Do they pull it out of their **** or what?

I'm sorry but Vidal and Strootman were about 10m+ each, while Carvalho is being quoted for 37.5m. That amount is simply way too much for someone like Carvalho.

However, I'm rather ****** off at how every single player that we are linked to would cost us at least 30m+. Where do the media get these figures from? Do they pull it out of their **** or what?

That's the point, we could of got them for that and now we're quoted much more because we missed out the first time and now they are World-Class players.

The simple fact is that not every single deal can be north of 30m. Dont be too surprised if we buy a couple of 10m players

That's all well and good, but we have enough average players as it is, if we can get a good player for 10m, I'm all for it.

But lets be realistic, no one really wants Vermealen - much rather we push for Benatia or Hummels (even though we'll pay the price), Blind is good but I still have reservations whether he would cut it in the Premier League.

Daley Blind says Hi

I for one would love to see him at United. Not excellent player but good enough player for multiple positions and also player who likes to tackle something our player lacks.

That's all well and good, but we have enough average players as it is, if we can get a good player for 10m, I'm all for it.

But lets be realistic, no one really wants Vermealen - much rather we push for Benatia or Hummels (even though we'll pay the price), Blind is good but I still have reservations whether he would cut it in the Premier League.

Why would you have reservations about Blind? You might as well say that about any player who hasnt played in the league. That said, his world cup performances against different styles speaks for itself.

Why would you have reservations about Blind?

His pace is going to be an issue in some of the positions he plays, I think that will be highlighted in the Premier League. Not saying he couldn't make up for it with his intelligence and positioning... still worries me though.

[h=1]Trust Van Gaal: Why Man United were right to sign Ander Herrera instead of Bayern’s Toni Kroos[/h]By Nick Harris
reu_2071583.jpg

In stark contrast to last summer, and perhaps in a bid to erase memories of the series of blunders that blighted that transfer window, Manchester United have gone about their business with remarkable alacrity this year, spending around £60m onLuke Shaw and Ander Herrera before June became July.
The Red Devils have been just as decisive in turning down the chance to sign players, with Cesc Fabregas and Toni Kroos both ignored despite figuring on United’s radar in the past.
The decision to pass on the Barcelona and Bayern Munich men, especially when a similar amount was then spent on the relatively small-fry Herrera, has not gone without comment, with the increasingly chatty Paul Scholes weighing in to say that he wished Man United had signed Kroos.
On the face of it, it’s pretty hard to argue with Scholes. Kroos is a serial winner, an important cog in the impressive Bayern Munich and Germany machines, and only 24, the same age as Herrera. It is also fair to say that if anyone has right to suggest the perfect man for Manchester United’s midfield, it is the formerly reticent stalwart.
However, allowing Sir Alex Ferguson to pick out his successor at Old Trafford proved a disaster, and there is a fair case to suggest that Kroos would also be a poor fit for the Red Devils, especially under new manager Louis van Gaal.
Kroos is an undeniably excellent player who should be near the top of almost any club’s shopping list this summer if he is available, but the German would not solve the biggest issue in the United team of last season.
That was a lack of pace and drive from deep, the absence of a midfield runner capable of accelerating the ponderous play that made United so easy to nullify. Other than Marouane Fellaini, who has a set of issues of his own, the whole array of midfielders at the club were alarmingly one-note – tidy players but ones unable to dominate the middle of park.
Toni Kroos Completed 92% Of His Passes Last Season

Kroos can control games with his exceptional passing – no player has completed more passes at the World Cup than the German – but he is slow and grounded in a style of play that fits neither with United’s traditionally boisterous directness or Van Gaal’s midfield preferences.

The Dutch manager will likely pair a defensive midfielder with, and these are becoming increasingly rare in football, a midfielder (now described as a box-to-box midfielder to avoid confusion). The latter will surely be Herrera, who combines a keen eye for a pass – he created 53 chances in La Liga last season – with bullish tackling – he averaged 2.64 per 90 minutes.
Who will act as the destroyer is unclear, but it certainly won’t be Kroos. The German’s best position is ahead of two deeper central midfielders, but United spent £37m in January on a player who could also fill that spot in Juan Mata. The Red Devils’ record signing is already competing for the role with Wayne Rooney, who is reportedly on £300,000 a week. Even if Kroos is better fit than either of United’s current options, they are unlikely to lavish more cash in that area.
Van Gaal could have opted to pair Kroos with Herrera in midfield, and the Spaniard’s defensive robustness might have dovetailed nicely with the Bayern man’s ability to pick a pass. However, this would be a bizarre use of Herrera, who would have to play a more withdrawn role than he has done at Bilbao, muting his attacking impact.

Looking at the stats from last season, Herrera actually averages more goals, assists and chances created per 90 than Kroos. That’s not to say he’s a better player, but the 24-year-old is a fine all-round midfielder and that is presumably why Manchester United spent £30m on him. To use him in any other way would be odd.
Turning down the chance to bring in Kroos is a gamble for United, but the signing of Herrera instead illustrates that Van Gaal has an understanding of the main problem with their sluggish midfield last season.
Signing Kroos would have necessitated a change in the Red Devils’ style. The German is a brilliant player in a possession-hogging side that spends much of its time camped out around the opposition box, but United have always been at their best when playing more directly.
Kroos will almost certainly go on and be excellent at Bayern or some other European giant next season, but United and Van Gaal should not be berated for passing on the German as he simply wasn’t the man for the job required at Old Trafford.

Trust Van Gaal: Why Man United were right to sign Ander Herrera instead of Bayern's Toni Kroos | Squawka News

His pace is going to be an issue in some of the positions he plays, I think that will be highlighted in the Premier League. Not saying he couldn't make up for it with his intelligence and positioning... still worries me though.

He's not horribly slow, and his positioning and tackling and distribution are strong, which is great for where he should play: DM

I do think Blind was arguably at fault for that Dos Santos goal Mexico scored as well. I think he should of closed him down better not allowing him to shoot at that angle.

[VIDEO 3D] (Holland) Netherlands vs Mexico 2-1 2014 Goals and Highlights World Cup 2014 - YouTube

This video is a great example of that goal and what happened.

1) Keeper should have saved that

3)Blind is tracking across and preventing him from being open on goal, the two players either side of Dos Santos could have made the tackle/foul.

Dos Santos just takes teh shot very early.

2) How does this go against him as a signing? As if players have never possibly made a mistake

1) Keeper should have saved that

3)Blind is tracking across and preventing him from being open on goal, the two players either side of Dos Santos could have made the tackle/foul.

Dos Santos just takes teh shot very early.

2) How does this go against him as a signing? As if players have never possibly made a mistake

Blind was the one running alongside him on his right the whole way when he was running eventually and scoring the goal? He he plenty of time to get a tackle in.

I'm not sure how a goalkeeper mistake kind of relieves a player of his mistake as well. I'm not against Blind I'm just pointing out he was at mistake for that goal partially.

Blind was the one running alongside him on his right the whole way when he was running eventually and scoring the goal? He he plenty of time to get a tackle in.

I'm not sure how a goalkeeper mistake kind of relieves a player of his mistake as well. I'm not against Blind I'm just pointing out he was at mistake for that goal partially.

But what exactly is the relevance towards a transfer?

Are you saying Carvalho has never made a mistake?

I'm pretty sure one youtube animation is not a good way to define a players career

But what exactly is the relevance towards a transfer?

Are you saying Carvalho has never made a mistake?

I'm pretty sure one youtube animation is not a good way to define a players career

Not much, but I still have my reservations on him... he's good but not sure if he's United standard. Makes you wonder if he's all that why other clubs haven't been after him, wouldn't exactly be that expensive either in comparison to other players.

Back