The Manchester United Thread

I've been watching Serie A longer then I've watched English football. I remember its heydays, when it truly awas the biggest league in the world. It has fallen a long way away from that. Serie A simply is not on a bigger stage, thn the PL, La Liga, and arguably Bundesliga. Selling your league top scorer 3 years running is a big marker of that. If anything mirrors the decline of Serie A, its the drop in Inter and AC. Still a very good league, but not what it was.

Last edited:
I've been watching Serie A longer then I've watched English football. I remember its heydays, when it truly was the biggest league in the world. It has fallen a long way away from that. Serie A simply is not on a bigger stage, then the PL, La Liga, and arguably Bundesliga. Selling your league top scorer 3 years running is a big marker of that. If anything mirrors the decline of Serie A, its the drop in Inter and AC. Still a very good league, but not what it was.

I remember when football italia was on channel 4 that used to be my Sunday afternoon taken care of right there, I used to watch it religiously but I agree since the TV deal turned into an absolute clusterfuck a few years back it has only been on the way down. I hope it turns it around because there are a few teams I really like in Serie A with a lot of history.

Signing Vermaelen stunts the development of Jones/Smalling too though. Vermaelen will start and Evans is our best CB currently. So they should start if that signing happens. I'm all for signing a CB, but if they're not world class there's no point IMO. No point stunting development of 3 potentially very good CB's to accommodate an average CB for experience purposes.

Signing Vermaelen stunts the development of Jones/Smalling too though. Vermaelen will start and Evans is our best CB currently. So they should start if that signing happens. I'm all for signing a CB, but if they're not world class there's no point IMO. No point stunting development of 3 potentially very good CB's to accommodate an average CB for experience purposes.

He's not really average, when he's free from injuries and has good fitness he's a very good CB. Problem is he is constantly getting injured these days... which is another reason to perhaps look elsewhere.

He's not really average, when he's free from injuries and has good fitness he's a very good CB. Problem is he is constantly getting injured these days... which is another reason to perhaps look elsewhere.
I read somewhere he was always injured coz Wenger kept trying to rush him back, same like Wilshere.

he playes for gunners so its the law that any good player is going to injured till thay have 1 year left then thay have the season of there lifes then move on yes rvp i am looking at you

The only real leader we have in the back line is Evans. Short answer is that Keane isnt a better answer. And more pertinently we cant spend £30m on every position. Vermaelen when fit is as good as Evans. He's a lot better than Smalling, and better than Jones currently is. The key is keeping him fit.

Last edited:
Tbh I would not be to fussed if we did not sign a CB, I don't think that was the main problem I think it was the LB getting caught out of position and the CBs getting dragged all over the shop. And the other thing was the non existent midfield just letting players run at our CBs ***** nilly time after time. If we really do solve our midfield problems and provide decent protection for the defence, on top of that a new LB which we already have then I would be fine with Smalling,Evans starting with Jones/Keane as cover. But if anything I think we will sign De Vrij or Vermalen. But what im trying to say is that after watching a lot of matches again from last season the CBs were actually not that bad, they were just easily got at.

Tbh I would not be to fussed if we did not sign a CB, I don't think that was the main problem I think it was the LB getting caught out of position and the CBs getting dragged all over the shop. And the other thing was the non existent midfield just letting players run at our CBs ***** nilly time after time. If we really do solve our midfield problems and provide decent protection for the defence, on top of that a new LB which we already have then I would be fine with Smalling,Evans starting with Jones/Keane as cover. But if anything I think we will sign De Vrij or Vermalen. But what im trying to say is that after watching a lot of matches again from last season the CBs were actually not that bad, they were just easily got at.

No mate, just no. The cb position is crucial. Part of the spine. You need one more experienced player there. Im not that big a fan of VERMAELEN but I see MIKE's point that in buying him we can spend big on another two positions (dm/winger).

Btw, Im not religious (far from it) but most of my time recently is occupied by praying we land Vidal and Di Maria!

We need Hummels... the guy oozes class.... it was a masterclass by him today for the Germans. Oh and that header was outrageous... Hummels marry me.

I remember when football italia was on channel 4 that used to be my Sunday afternoon taken care of right there, I used to watch it religiously but I agree since the TV deal turned into an absolute clusterfuck a few years back it has only been on the way down. I hope it turns it around because there are a few teams I really like in Serie A with a lot of history.

There's a reason why most neutrals such as myself switched to following PL. Serie A is far gone. The fact Juve crushes the league year after year and yet they can't even make it out of CL group says everything.

[video=youtube;HPjXBCTccAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjXBCTccAQ[/video]Worth a watch

Well all reliable appears quiet on Vidal right now, I'd say we've been put off by the price-tag... although what did anyone expect.

Well all reliable appears quiet on Vidal right now, I'd say we've been put off by the price-tag... although what did anyone expect.
Usually pretty quite at the weekend. Don't expect this to be over, seen reports that they want a player in the deal. Whatever happens it will be a lot of negotiating and complicated ones at that, this could go on all summer with Vidal and Carvalho.

Usually pretty quite at the weekend. Don't expect this to be over, seen reports that they want a player in the deal. Whatever happens it will be a lot of negotiating and complicated ones at that, this could go on all summer with Vidal and Carvalho.

Hope so, we need more signings.

Please be Nani

Back