The Manchester United Thread

Not really insulting, just being realistic... of modern football. Bayern Munich are totally dominant in that league and they will continue to be so because Dortmund sell their best players to their biggest rival....

If it were realistic, as you're saying, then what you're saying is that Dortmund have no hope and Hummels knows it, as much as everyone else and should just give up. That's as much as just saying, "Here, mate. You may as well just sell everyone of your players because see all of those domestic cups you're playing for? They're Bayerns. See that Champions League as well? Why play for Dortmund under Jurgen Klopp, when you can switch sides and play for me, Pep Guardiola.. we will be far more successful." That's exactly the kind of idealogical thinking that has turned the beautiful game into the skull-*******, money-orientated, business cash cow that it is today. What you're basically saying is, undo all the creating, development and building Dortmund have done with their current crop of young stars, just to satisfy the demand of the modern era.

The more clubs continue this, with the bloated wages, excess bonus fee's and transfers, within the long term, clubs will be unable to afford it. Who do you think will buy clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea and Monaco with the players they have on the wages they are? Once these oil-rich owners decide to up and sell to who ever is buying, because they're finished their little "project" of failing to build a European giant, then they will be exposed and one by one, clubs like that will crumble away into nothing.

It's authentic clubs like Dortmund who set the standard for the rest of us and there is no shame in that.

If it were realistic, as you're saying, then what you're saying is that Dortmund have no hope and Hummels knows it, as much as everyone else and should just give up. That's as much as just saying, "Here, mate. You may as well just sell everyone of your players because see all of those domestic cups you're playing for? They're Bayerns. See that Champions League as well? Why play for Dortmund under Jurgen Klopp, when you can switch sides and play for me, Pep Guardiola.. we will be far more successful." That's exactly the kind of idealogical thinking that has turned the beautiful game into the skull-*******, money-orientated, business cash cow that it is today. What you're basically saying is, undo all the creating, development and building Dortmund have done with their current crop of young stars, just to satisfy the demand of the modern era.

The more clubs continue this, with the bloated wages, excess bonus fee's and transfers, within the long term, clubs will be unable to afford it. Who do you think will buy clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea and Monaco with the players they have on the wages they are? Once these oil-rich owners decide to up and sell to who ever is buying, because they're finished their little "project" of failing to build a European giant, then they will be exposed and one by one, clubs like that will crumble away into nothing.

It's authentic clubs like Dortmund who set the standard for the rest of us and there is no shame in that.

I think you're taking it way too deep, whilst you raise some good points, I'm clearly just looking at it from Hummels point of view only.

Hummels is a great CB and I respect if he wants to remain loyal to Dortmund, but I'm just pointing to the fact that realistically he won't achieve much unless he moves away. Dortmund aren't helping themselves by selling their best player to Bayern and therefore basically admitting they are going to be second-best for quite a while.

I think it's safe to say the majority of modern footballers play to have a chance of winning silverware rather than being loyal to one club and right now, I just don't see how Dortmund would over-take Bayern. Which carries itself over to Europe as well, because if you don't set standards to keep your best players and be the best team in the league... you're very unlikely going to do well in Europe to contend any longer to the final stages of Champions League like they did few seasons ago.

I am genuinely baffled as to how you twisted something pretty simple into something so deep and complex

I am genuinely baffled as to how you twisted something pretty simple into something so deep and complex

His train of logic reminded me of this:

[video=youtube;lflRbv3HA0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflRbv3HA0E[/video]

Bale is 24... Vidal is 27....

I don't get this whole "he's the best CM"..... What defines the best CM in the world? Someone help me out on this one because I'm just confused, he's not exactly been some outstanding force for Juventus. He's been good, nothing more, in my opinion.

We need someone who can break up play and be aggressive whilst providing solid protection to the back four, he's not the be all and end all, there is plenty of good alternatives who will be more suited to the role and give us more money to get a top class CB or winger.
I'm confused, how has he not been outstanding for Juventus? He scored 18 goals and made 5 assists for the club last season playing as a CM, including 5 goals in the CL from just 6 games. By looking at stats alone he is the best CM in the world by far, not even Yaya comes close to his numbers, and I guess I'll put up a bunch of statistics and numbers since 2009 to bore you (number in brackets are Yaya's). He averages 4.7 (1.5) tackles per game since he was in Leverkusen. Despite scoring so many goals, his average shots per game is only 2 (1.6, mainly because he has very low spg when he was back in Barca). Average number of key passes 1.5 (1.2), interceptions 1.9 (1.1). His total amount of goals since 2009 is 49 (47) and assists 31 (31). He has more fouls than Yaya - 2.3 (1.2), but I don't think that is going to be a problem at all. They both played similar amount of games - 184 (185). This is just by looking at stats alone. I have watched Vidal and Yaya before, and Vidal is easily as good as or even better than Yaya.

I don't think you could even find another midfielder in the world that is anywhere near as complete as Vidal. If he is available, we must get him at all cost, even if it means that we will not sign a winger this window.

I'm confused, how has he not been outstanding for Juventus? He scored 18 goals and made 5 assists for the club last season playing as a CM, including 5 goals in the CL from just 6 games. By looking at stats alone he is the best CM in the world by far, not even Yaya comes close to his numbers, and I guess I'll put up a bunch of statistics and numbers since 2009 to bore you (number in brackets are Yaya's). He averages 4.7 (1.5) tackles per game since he was in Leverkusen. Despite scoring so many goals, his average shots per game is only 2 (1.6, mainly because he has very low spg when he was back in Barca). Average number of key passes 1.5 (1.2), interceptions 1.9 (1.1). His total amount of goals since 2009 is 49 (47) and assists 31 (31). He has more fouls than Yaya - 2.3 (1.2), but I don't think that is going to be a problem at all. They both played similar amount of games - 184 (185). This is just by looking at stats alone. I have watched Vidal and Yaya before, and Vidal is easily as good as or even better than Yaya.

I don't think you could even find another midfielder in the world that is anywhere near as complete as Vidal. If he is available, we must get him at all cost, even if it means that we will not sign a winger this window.
1OO% THIS we must sign Vidal at all costs if there is a chance, really could be the difference in getting into the top 4 or not! We really do a TOP TOP CM this summer!

O JOGO reporting that LVG will meet with Enzo Perez agent about a possible move to UTD after his move to Valencia has hit a snag. Will likely happen after the game on Wed/Thu.

I thought that was Ed Woodward's job.
That's what I thought, but don't know if Ed has already spoken and LVG will be involved maybe speak to player/agent while in same place. Don't know how reliable O jogo is always thought was pretty reliable.

Reports going about a few websites that Evra to Juventus is a done deal.

I know I am late to the party, but I can see that there are some fairly narrow-minded opinions on Vidal's actual style of play. When people describe a midfielder as a 'box-to-box player', it's used in the broadest sense of the term to cover all of said player's competent aspects. For example, they can get up and down the pitch frequently, decent passer, tackler, decent in the air (etc). Then you look at Yaya Touré who, on most accounts, defines it.

But Vidal doesn't stretched the - although tired - phrase of 'box-to-box'. Aside from being a very good tackler, he's also an underrated passer and playmaker. He may not win every aerial challenge, but he'll 110% put in the effort to chase after wherever it bounces and try to win it back. He can dictate the tempo of play with composure and assuredness. A threat from distance with a powerful shot, it's one of the few things he can do when in and/or around the box.

And at 27 years old, he has a good six, seven years in him at the peak of his game. Even when he inevitably regresses, he will eventually decline into a competent possession player and someone that can act as a destroyer in front of the defence. There is much more to him than just tackling and winning back possession. He does absolutely everything. Almost as much as Yaya Touré.

You're not going to see someone like him for a good long time, and if he's available, why not go for him? You're getting proven quality where needed, right now. Can't get much simpler than that.

Should totally go all out for getting Hummels and Vidal, even if it means losing out on Angel di Maria. If the spine of the team is strong enough, we can always strengthen other areas relatively easier, (there'll always be wingers present - I also heard rumours that we're looking at Nicolas Gaitan) and Hummels and Vidal are simply class..

We should immediately go all out and try to get Hummels, since Barca also seem to be considering him, and he once indicated that he'd like a move to Barca.

Vidal is great , although I am not sure if you can utilise player of that characteristic to the fullest when you already have Herrera. I figure LVG would want more of a ball distributing, creative type. Its also worth pointing out that Juve playes a different system, with 3 in the middle, allowing Vidal and Pogba/Marchisio to bomb forward more often. United would still rely on wings, and with no new winger...

Last edited:
Vidal is great , although I am not sure if you can utilise player of that characteristic to the fullest when you already have Herrera. I figure LVG would want more of a ball distributing, creative type. Its also worth pointing out that Juve playes a different system, with 3 in the middle, allowing Vidal and Pogba/Marchisio to bomb forward more often. United would still rely on wings, and with no new winger...

We have new manager who is not afraid to try new things, so wouldn't be surprised if we start playing more through the middle rather than wings.

Who's to say he won't play Wing-Backs like he is doing now rather than Wingers? We have Shaw and Rafael who could do that.

Back