The Manchester United Thread

Semi-Final's was definitely a huge-over achievement with that Holland squad.. on paper at least, don't care what anyone says. One of the worst I've seen in a long long long while.

Don't get me wrong, he did well but hardly a huge huge over-achievement. A lot of the supposed 'big teams' have average squads as well. Good job by LVG nonetheless

I think they got figured out after the group stages, as most of their goals are scored from then.

I dont think so, just that they were overly cautious in KOs.

But 2 against Australia...

Yeah that's why I said 3. Also 1 was controversial penalty against Aussies, so like I said only 1 legitimate goal conceded against Spain, Chile, Aussies is a great record.

One doesn't exclude the other.

Not sure what that means.

Not sure what that means.

If I take my dog on a walk, on average we have 3 legs. It's a factual statement that's also a misleading statistic.

p17Zs.gif

There were not really expected to do more than compete with Chile for second spot. RE Vidal, for as long as ive looked, thats the price i keep seeing ( well 45m euros, so whatever you conversion rate is at the time.)

It's funny Liverpool fans (mostly on twitter I'm talking about) are mocking LVG not being a real 'tactical genius' or he would of brought on Krul for Cilissen again despite them not realising (don't expect them to) 2 of the 3 subs were forced on him because RVP and De Jong had to go off. Both injury doubts before the game so had no chance of playing a full part anyway because they weren't 100% fit.

Don't get me wrong, he did well but hardly a huge huge over-achievement. A lot of the supposed 'big teams' have average squads as well. Good job by LVG nonetheless

As poor as Netherlands squad? I dont think so.

As poor as Netherlands squad? I dont think so.

Mathew Leckie gave Martins Indi the run-around when they played each other. I was actually impressed with the type of football Australia were playing, it was entertaining and if only England had such a philosophy. They gave Spain, Chile and Holland all good games, done themselves proud at least.

Anyway yeh it was a painfully mediocre squad, know you've got problems when Dirk Kuyt has to be played as a wing-back.

It's funny Liverpool fans (mostly on twitter I'm talking about) are mocking LVG not being a real 'tactical genius' or he would of brought on Krul for Cilissen again despite them not realising (don't expect them to) 2 of the 3 subs were forced on him because RVP and De Jong had to go off. Both injury doubts before the game so had no chance of playing a full part anyway because they weren't 100% fit.

Liverpool have one good year and already they talk as though they're one of the big boys. Arsene Wenger took the **** out of them from a beach in Brazil, without even making any form of effort. Stole their desired signing, which in turn forced them to sell their biggest asset.

It's like telling a fat, unpopular girl that she's beautiful and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere she starts swaggering about the place, acting as if she's the Bella da ball. Without Suarez, they'll get found out and put back in their place.

Liverpool have one good year and already they talk as though they're one of the big boys. Arsene Wenger took the **** out of them from a beach in Brazil, without even making any form of effort. Stole their desired signing, which in turn forced them to sell their biggest asset.

It's like telling a fat, unpopular girl that she's beautiful and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere she starts swaggering about the place, acting as if she's the Bella da ball. Without Suarez, they'll get found out and put back in their place.

Selling Suarez is a mistake... you don't sell your best asset after 1 good season making the CL. If they don't make it next season then they can only blame themselves. I've got nothing against some of them, but then some others of their fans I just can't stand due to their constant obsession with insulting other clubs especially Everton and obviously, United.

Yeah, its also 2 goals in last 330 minutes, one of which was from a pen. Against superpowers of Costarica and Mexico.

I don't get the point you are even getting at... you're trying to say LVG and Netherlands can't be attack-minded? What you trying to prove?

LVG used the system he thought would get Netherlands the furthest and as it turns out it worked... Semi-Final's is a good achievement no matter how you look at it. No one was predicting them in the final before this or anywhere near it for that matter.

I don't get the point you are even getting at... you're trying to say LVG and Netherlands can't be attack-minded? What you trying to prove?

I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm simply posting the stats.

You on the other hand seem to be masturbating to LVG before he even set foot on Old Trafford.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm simply posting the stats.

You on the other hand seem to be masturbating to LVG before he even set foot on Old Trafford.

He's got an under-whelming Holland to the semi-final's I'm merely saying that is a good achievement. Can't you just accept that it is?

Yeah, its also 2 goals in last 330 minutes, one of which was from a pen. Against superpowers of Costarica and Mexico.
Yea, also the scoreless games were against Costa Rica who has beaten 3 past world cup champions, and then with 10 footballers beat former European champions. Not to mention Costa Rica had no ambition to take a risk against Holland, they wanted pens from minute one. And they didn't score against Argentina, who also has defensive side. And on top of all that, those scoreless games were in knockout phase where all the teams are playing much, much safer.
So yea, you can easily manipulate with statistic. So here it is:
Holland, semi-finals, averages 2 goals per game and only concedes every other game.

Let's just look at things this way. Netherlands - predicted to crush out in group stages, is now playing for 3rd place. They scored 12 goals and conceded 4. The only world class players in the team is RVP and Robben. The Costa Rica you are mocking at beat Uruguay 3-1, Italy 1-0 and drew with England. The Mexico that you mocked drew Brazil 0-0 and crushed Croatia 3-1.

At least learn to give credit where its due.

He's got an under-whelming Holland to the semi-final's I'm merely saying that is a good achievement. Can't you just accept that it is?

He took 2010 runner-up to semi-finals in 2014. Its good result but hardly work of a genius.

He took 2010 runner-up to semi-finals in 2014. Its good result but hardly work of a genius.

Spain were winners and Holland beat them 5-1 in this tournament.. I guess that must be classed as a hand of god piece of work.

Back