The Manchester United Thread

No man, you don't get to bend statistic as you like and then comment like that. No, that bending was your 'weapon' in this argument, and you lost it. You do that a lot, how do you like when someone else is doing that. And whats the point even in all this gibberish you're saying?

At which point did I bend statistics?

Actually it is. They were not expected to get out of the group stage. And he did it after being forced to rip up his original plan 2 games before they went because he lost his key man.

Yeah and then came up against an incredibly sub-par Spain squad so it hardly mattered in the end

He said so. He said that he felt he had no chance under LVG at Old Trafford as he's been ignored by him for the national team for 2 years.
sorry miread that thought he was talking about evra

Personally I think Luke is a bit young for the first team. If he's our first on the sheet LB, I'm worried about burnout later in his career. It would be a good move to bring someone in who's a little older and more capable of holding that position down, but also not going to complain about being second best a few years down the line when Luke is eventually old enough to be our number 1.

I like that Daley Blind. He was very good at getting down the wing to attack and back to defend. He's also very versatile and can play a number of positions, especially through the midfield and also as a right back if need be. He's what, almost 25 as well? If I were Louie, that's who I would go for.

Yeah and then came up against an incredibly sub-par Spain squad so it hardly mattered in the end

Total revisionism. No one thought they were sub par going into the world cup. Sorry but that's a stupid thing to say. They were expected to win the group and were right up there as favourites for the world cup. To say otherwise is a lie. In fact once they took the lead, everyone expected them to go on and win the game. The reaction to the win, said it all.

Spain couldnt handle their fast transitions at all, and they were cut down. Only Germany's game vs Brazil was more emphatic. It really bugs me when people try to downplay stuff by using revisionism and hindsight.

Last edited:
Total revisionism. No one thought they were sub par going into the world cup. Sorry but that's a stupid thing to say. They were expected to win the group and were right up there as favourites for the world cup. To say otherwise is a lie. In fact once they took the lead, everyone expected them to go on and win the game. The reaction to the win, said it all.

Spain couldnt handle their fast transitions at all, and they were cut down. Only Germany's game vs Brazil was more emphatic. It really bugs me when people try to downplay stuff by using revisionism and hindsight.

Excellent point. Although, to be said, I'm a huge fan of Spain, and I was dreading this would happen ever since Jesus Navas and Dani Carvajal weren't in the team (But lol, even I couldn't have predicted that outcome against Netherlands). But nowhere was it ever stated that Spain were sub-standard, ****, even now, they're still one of the stronger teams. Spain didn't learn from Confed finals where they were caught off-guard completely by pace, and Netherlands simply creamed them for it.

Spent 32 mil on a left back and you've forgotten him? :p

Now its 32 Million. You just have to love the opposition fans and the numbers they post everytime. Just like how Rooney all of a sudden went from 180K to 300K per week.

Isn't it great that other fans just want to make it sound as it was nothing to qualify from the group just because LVG is ManUtd manager.

Before the start of WC many thought we might have manager much before the end of WC as Netherlands might not qualify from group stage. Looking at their squad who can blame them for thinking so.

Man for man Spain are few levels above Netherlands, no one thought that Spain would go out in group stage.

Selling Suarez is a mistake... you don't sell your best asset after 1 good season making the CL. If they don't make it next season then they can only blame themselves. I've got nothing against some of them, but then some others of their fans I just can't stand due to their constant obsession with insulting other clubs especially Everton and obviously, United.

There are fans like that everywhere so please don't even try to take the moral high ground in these matters

Don't get me wrong ... I think he has done a good job getting them to the semi's. But we also have to keep in mind that other 'big teams' put in really average performances and had average squads as well. Plus he had to rely on penalties and a incredible last-minute comebacks to get as far as he did in the knockout stages. So yes he did a good job but it's not like he pulled off some miracle as some people like to claim

Isn't it great that other fans just want to make it sound as it was nothing to qualify from the group just because LVG is ManUtd manager.

Before the start of WC many thought we might have manager much before the end of WC as Netherlands might not qualify from group stage. Looking at their squad who can blame them for thinking so.

Man for man Spain are few levels above Netherlands, no one thought that Spain would go out in group stage.

I can turn it around on you and say that many United fans exaggerate LVG's achievements in the WC simply because he is a United manager. He did a good job, very good job but let's not pretend it was the miracle of the decade or something

Now its 32 Million. You just have to love the opposition fans and the numbers they post everytime. Just like how Rooney all of a sudden went from 180K to 300K per week.

Well you spent 30 million on him ... In the context of the amount of money that is thrown around football at this level, does an extra £2m really matter?

I can turn it around on you and say that many United fans exaggerate LVG's achievements in the WC simply because he is a United manager. He did a good job, very good job but let's not pretend it was the miracle of the decade or something

Yup. Some people even hailed Huntelaar for Van Persie substitution vs. Mexico as tactical genius. Because obviously swaping tired striker for fresh one, late in the game, is completely unexpected move that only Van Gaal can come up with.

Yup. Some people even hailed Huntelaar for Van Persie substitution vs. Mexico as tactical genius. Because obviously swaping tired striker for fresh one, late in the game, is completely unexpected move that only Van Gaal can come up with.

Also the swapping of the goalkeepers was hailed as a brilliant move ... Then I read that the Dutch 1st choice goalkeeper had NEVER saved a penalty in his professional career. It was really just a pragmatic move. How is it any different from managers swapping in a better penalty-taker for a worse one towards the end of extra time?

Don't get me wrong ... I think he has done a good job getting them to the semi's. But we also have to keep in mind that other 'big teams' put in really average performances and had average squads as well. Plus he had to rely on penalties and a incredible last-minute comebacks to get as far as he did in the knockout stages. So yes he did a good job but it's not like he pulled off some miracle as some people like to claim

Our team was built upon that, and we perfected it, so I don't mind..

Back