The Manchester United Thread

1. Again, just because no one does it often doesn't make it a brilliant move. It really is no different from a manager bringing on a better penalty taker. Also the Dutch #1 GK had never saved a penalty in his entire career apparently so that probably explains even more why it was a pragmatic rather than gutsy move

It is called thinking outside the box and his decision was helpful. Not sure how is it anything but brilliant. Maybe for you it's not but for us and for many Netherlands it is brilliant decision and rightly got all the praise.

2. I agree that LVG has done a very good job. In fact, might even be the best manager in this WC ... I just wish people would tone down on the hyperbole a bit and stop making everything he farts look like liquid gold. Also if you think Chelsea fans don't get criticized for blindly worshipping Jose then you are very mistaken

Why should we? He is our manager and whatever he does we try to look at the positives. No one is saying he will win League titles and make us play like Barca and Bayern, just that we are happy with his decision making and his arrogance in making big decisions which Moyes lacked. Chelsea fans get criticized when they defend his shameful acts, not for praising his tactics.

It is called thinking outside the box and his decision was helpful. Not sure how is it anything but brilliant. Maybe for you it's not but for us and for many Netherlands it is brilliant decision and rightly got all the praise.

Why should we? He is our manager and whatever he does we try to look at the positives. No one is saying he will win League titles and make us play like Barca and Bayern, just that we are happy with his decision making and his arrogance in making big decisions which Moyes lacked. Chelsea fans get criticized when they defend his shameful acts, not for praising his tactics.

Alcaraz agrees it is a very good job by LVG and says he's one of the best managers in the WC but would like to argue against himself and other people who think the same! Logic.

Right... but you ignore that he came off a totally injury-plagued season firstly and secondly the only stat that truely matters for a striker 3 goals in 6 games... yes that's really terrible isn't it?

Please stop posting these crappy pointless posts because you clearly just want to keep digging, no one said it was a miracle or anything else, they just said it was a great achievement to get them to the semi's.

RVP averages goal per game with LVG as manager. His stats are nonsense as the sample size is ******* ridiculous. He just chose the games where he played badly to prove something.

Alcaraz agrees it is a very good job by LVG and says he's one of the best managers in the WC but would like to argue against himself and other people who think the same! Logic.

Yeah thinking back what you said is correct. He said he might be the best manager in the WC too still argues it was not something brilliant to take Netherlands to semi finals. If it was not brilliant then not sure what was the reason for saying " agree that LVG has done a very good job. In fact, might even be the best manager in this WC "

No I just think that their is a fine line between doing a good job and pulling off a miracle and in some of the comments made by United fans, the line is becoming increasingly blurred. Btw Subtle pointed out the same thing a few pages back, so that's 3 people who feel the line is being blurred

1. So what if it's thinking outside the box? That doesn't make it brilliant. In fact I read that another manager in the lower leagues did the same as well so it's hardly an original idea either. It really isn't anything brilliant. It's exactly the same as a manager taking off a worse penalty taker for a better one towards the end of extra time. Exactly what I meant when I said that some people try to find genius in even the simplest of things that LVG does

Was it unexpected? Initially yes but not after you read that the Dutch No.1 has never saved a penalty so it's good preparation that any manager worth their salt would do. That's all

2. This just about confirms what am I saying. Some people try I look for genius in everything he does ... Also you are unnecessarily carving things up here. I said that Chelsea fans get criticized for blindly worshipping him which includes defending him for his shameful acts such as how he is isolating the **** out of the great striker Lukaku

1. So what if it's thinking outside the box? That doesn't make it brilliant. In fact I read that another manager in the lower leagues did the same as well so it's hardly an original idea either. It really isn't anything brilliant. It's exactly the same as a manager taking off a worse penalty taker for a better one towards the end of extra time. Exactly what I meant when I said that some people try to find genius in even the simplest of things that LVG does

Was it unexpected? Initially yes but not after you read that the Dutch No.1 has never saved a penalty so it's good preparation that any manager worth their salt would do. That's all

Yeah when I was in school I changed the GK for shootout and replaced him with outfield player as that player was excellent fielder and diver. So the lower league manager must have copied me and LVG copied this idea.

Btw did you say the same thing when explaining what a genius Jose is as I have not seen him doing anything for the first time?

How many times have to seen a manager changing GK for Penalty shoot outs? Netherlands GK was poor at saving penalties, big deal. So was Krul as he has saved only 2 penalties in PL IIRC.

2. This just about confirms what am I saying. Some people try I look for genius in everything he does ... Also you are unnecessarily carving things up here. I said that Chelsea fans get criticized for blindly worshipping him which includes defending him for his shameful acts such as how he is isolating the **** out of the great striker Lukaku

From my first post I sticked to tactics part and how you find genius in everything he does. LVG did a brilliant job and ManUtd fans are ******* happy about it. What's the problem here?

And yeah LVG is genius for taking this hopeless Netherlands team to semi finals and just a penalty kick away from finals when many thought they wouldn't even qualify from their group. And to achieve that he did many tactical decisions including to rip up the whole tactical plan after Strootman injury where they hardly had time to adjust to the new set up.

Btw it's was good to see you ignoring the point that every player praised him for his tactics, as usual,

Last edited:
Back on a more interesting note, it appears Di Marzio saying there was no Vidal talks between Juventus and United during Evra sale. So either we're not interested in paying the amount they want (which is probably a lot more than stated as the prices are varying in virtually every report) or we've moved our attention to someone else.... not sure who else there is... but still.

What did Van Gaal have to do it brilliantly?
He got the most out of the squad he had. The whole defense were players from the Eredivisie playing their first tournament (except for Kuyt, but he played striker position, and Vlaar, but still was his first tournament). Even the Dutch GK started in the Jupiler League this season and got starting positiong during this season at Ajax. His defense was really inexperienced and most people would say the achilles heel of the squad.

He made it maybe the strongest point, while abusing the talent of Robben who was in fenomonal form. Which isn't a shame, because Brasil, Argentina, Italy and Uruguay do the same with their star players (Neymar, Messi, Pirlo and Suarez).

It's all in hindsight, but if the Netherlands got into the finals everyone would say he did brilliantly, but he only lost due penalties. Which the Netherlands were in heavy disadvantage anyways, because they had another penalty series earlier this world cup aswell. Romero dived (dove?) to the same corners the dutch players shot earlier.

Not to forget he had key players as in De Jong and Van Persie who weren't 100% fit because of injury and sickness, so he had to use 2 garantueed substitutes for those players, and Martins Indo wasn't looking solid that match. In ET he wanted to force a goal with subbing Hunterlaar, because he knew he was in disadvantage at penalties and thought the Netherlands could force a goal. This time he guessed and he was wrong, but that doesn't mean he didn't do an amazing job this world cup.

In the end he did a great job, but not a miracle. He got to the semi finals and was really close to reaching the finals, altough he did it in a really defensive and with a countre tactic, which people tend not to rate (strange enough Chelsea fans don't). He made the weakest part of the Dutch side the strongest and he was very diverse with his tactics during the tournament. You can't say that about alot of managers.

Yeah when I was in school I changed the GK for shootout and replaced him with outfield player as that player was excellent fielder and diver. So the lower league manager must have copied me and LVG copied this idea.

Btw did you say the same thing when explaining what a genius Jose is as I have not seen him doing anything for the first time?

How many times have to seen a manager changing GK for Penalty shoot outs? Netherlands GK was poor at saving penalties, big deal. So was Krul as he has saved only 2 penalties in PL IIRC.

From my first post I sticked to tactics part and how you find genius in everything he does. LVG did a brilliant job and ManUtd fans are ******* happy about it. What's the problem here?

And yeah LVG is genius for taking this hopeless Netherlands team to semi finals and just a penalty kick away from finals when many thought they wouldn't even qualify from their group. And to achieve that he did many tactical decisions including to rip up the whole tactical plan after Strootman injury where they hardly had time to adjust to the new set up.

Btw it's was good to see you ignoring the point that every player praised him for his tactics, as usual,

1. Just because managers don't do it often doesn't mean that when someone does, it is a brilliant move. I am sure not many managers have No.1 goalkeepers who are utterly **** at saving penalties ... So much so that they haven't saved one in their life. So you can see that most managers really don't have a need to change their goalkeeper for penalty shoot ours in the first place. LVG had a need and he did so. Suddenly that's a brilliant move

2. Avram Grant took Chelsea all the way to the CL finals and was a penalty kick away from winning it as well. Just saying

Undeniably LVG has done a very good job, all I am saying is to tone down on the hyperbole and stop finding genius in everything he does such as swapping RVP for Hunteelar and swapping GKs. I am not directing this accusation at you. All I am saying is that United fans tend to exaggerate when it comes to his qualities sometimes and if you can't see it then you are blind

Undeniably LVG has done a very good job, all I am saying is to tone down on the hyperbole and stop finding genius in everything he does such as swapping RVP for Hunteelar and swapping GKs. I am not directing this accusation at you. All I am saying is that United fans tend to exaggerate when it comes to his qualities sometimes and if you can't see it then you are blind

But zzeezzy and sunil aren't the ones going over the top. You're trying to argue when you basically agree with them.

A lot of United fans are just being tongue in cheek and the over the top praise - you have to find the bits of optimism/humour where you can after our last season.

1. Just because managers don't do it often doesn't mean that when someone does, it is a brilliant move. I am sure not many managers have No.1 goalkeepers who are utterly **** at saving penalties ... So much so that they haven't saved one in their life. So you can see that most managers really don't have a need to change their goalkeeper for penalty shoot ours in the first place. LVG had a need and he did so. Suddenly that's a brilliant move

2. Avram Grant took Chelsea all the way to the CL finals and was a penalty kick away from winning it as well. Just saying

Very rich coming from you when you see genius in everything Jose does and how you blame players for everything Jose does.

Gary Neville is really becoming pain in the ***. He does some very good analysis but his view on ManUtd should employ British manager is bit OTT.

Alex Shaw @AlexShawESPN
Follow

G. Nev under Moyes: "I honestly don't think it needs a rebuild."With LVG at MUFC: "Won't be a revolution unless they sign 7, 8 or 9."Eh?

If we get beaten to Di Maria by PSG I'll be mad, there is no way they can afford him in any right of FFP after what they have already done. Honestly Fifa needs to act against these clubs who just want to take all the best players and have no regard for FFP whatsoever.

But zzeezzy and sunil aren't the ones going over the top. You're trying to argue when you basically agree with them.

A lot of United fans are just being tongue in cheek and the over the top praise - you have to find the bits of optimism/humour where you can after our last season.

Something is seriously wrong.

We are linked with good players and as soon as the discussion starts he will come and post how ManUtd can't afford that player and how lack of CL will have big impact.

Mata was linked with us he was posting how ManUtd have no chance of signing him.
Shaw was linked and he started how Chelsea have got clear advantage over ManUtd.
We were struggling and how Newcastle won't sell their players to ManUtd as they are our rivals.
Signed Herrera and ManUtd fans were happy about signing CM then he started posting about how ManUtd fans are excited as if we signed a Messi caliber player.
Happy with what LVG did with such average team - He started posting about how we are over praising him

It's so obvious what he is doing/trying to do here or any discussion on ManUtd/Liverpool and Arsenal thread clearly bugs him so much.

At least you admit that some of the praise is over the top even if it may be tongue-in-cheek

Very rich coming from you when you see genius in everything Jose does and how you blame players for everything Jose does.

Yeah and I get beaten down for it .. At least I admit it afterwards instead of stubbornly sticking to my tune. Glad you agreed to my views on his GK swap btw ;)

Something is seriously wrong.

We are linked with good players and as soon as the discussion starts he will come and post how ManUtd can't afford that player and how lack of CL will have big impact.

Mata was linked with us he was posting how ManUtd have no chance of signing him.
Shaw was linked and he started how Chelsea have got clear advantage over ManUtd.
We were struggling and how Newcastle won't sell their players to ManUtd as they are our rivals.
Signed Herrera and ManUtd fans were happy about signing CM then he started posting about how ManUtd fans are excited as if we signed a Messi caliber player.
Happy with what LVG did with such average team - He started posting about how we are over praising him

It's so obvious what he is doing/trying to do here or any discussion on ManUtd/Liverpool and Arsenal thread clearly bugs him so much.

Only too right mate!!! I am honestly flattered that you actually remember stuff that I said 6 months ago. Genuinely flattered haha ... Even I had forgotten about it lol. Please remind us all of this discussion 6 months later as well :D

Last edited:
I have not been around this site for long but I can see who to look out for when it comes to winding other teams supporters up. There are a certain few individuals that do it almost on a daily basis.

I have not been around this site for long but I can see who to look out for when it comes to winding other teams supporters up. There are a certain few individuals that do it almost on a daily basis.
It's ok when you do it with tongue in your cheek. But when someone is just talking *****, then it gets interesting ( take word interesting as you will). Where's the old Mike. to pwn those n00bs.

Back