The Manchester United Thread

Actually I just remembered LVG was quoted saying he already gave his A B and C list of transfer targets a while back to Woody.

LVG probably said that stuff in the press conference to hide his plans and still give hope to players on the fringes of squad. I think he knows what he needs already.

Last edited:
Oh and in other news.. Vidal yet again has spoken and mentioned us again..

Not sure why there is a panic (I know only 1 or 2). We have signed amazing manager who has worked wonders in his previous clubs and also with Dutch NT, knows how to integrate young players and has excellent eye for talent. He has a strong belief in his philosophy and not afraid to drop or sell players who don't follow him.

I'm very much impressed with his press conference and how in just 2 days he identified one of the biggest challenges in training, open training where wind spoils everything. If you have watched U18 games you would know how much it had impact on game. I think it was against Blackburn where it changed the outcome of the game and technical players were so uncomfortable on the ball as they had no idea where the ball was going.

I'm sure this even had impact on our training sessions, how Fergie never tried to address this is beyond me. Good that Van Gaal identified that and asked owners to do something about it.

Also we have some very good players in the academy who needs game to improve. Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira (inconsistent but his ability on ball is very good), Wilson, Lingard, Varela, Janko, Keane bros. We should sell some deadwood and integrate these young players.

Yeah the way Madrid operates, they basically make completely random marque signings every year, and manager is left with the job to try and make sense of that.

They keep winning stuff tho (they've got 10 CLs ffs!) so it must be working ...

Not sure why there is a panic (I know only 1 or 2). We have signed amazing manager who has worked wonders in his previous clubs and also with Dutch NT, knows how to integrate young players and has excellent eye for talent. He has a strong belief in his philosophy and not afraid to drop or sell players who don't follow him.

I'm very much impressed with his press conference and how in just 2 days he identified one of the biggest challenges in training, open training where wind spoils everything. If you have watched U18 games you would know how much it had impact on game. I think it was against Blackburn where it changed the outcome of the game and technical players were so uncomfortable on the ball as they had no idea where the ball was going.

I'm sure this even had impact on our training sessions, how Fergie never tried to address this is beyond me. Good that Van Gaal identified that and asked owners to do something about it.

Also we have some very good players in the academy who needs game to improve. Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira (inconsistent but his ability on ball is very good), Wilson, Lingard, Varela, Janko, Keane bros. We should sell some deadwood and integrate these young players.

Integrating youth I'm all for, but we need proven quality in our midfield if we want to compete with the best. It has been a problem for many seasons, we still need a quality dynamic ball winner/enforcer. Roy Keane was never replaced.

So yeh youth is good but it would be naive to think it's going to fix our main problems. We don't have a Lara Bender coming through. Also we need classy experienced CB.

Integrating youth I'm all for, but we need proven quality in our midfield if we want to compete with the best. It has been a problem for many seasons, we still need a quality dynamic ball winner/enforcer. Roy Keane was never replaced.

So yeh youth is good but it would be naive to think it's going to fix our main problems. We don't have a Lara Bender coming through. Also we need classy experienced CB.

Not saying our youngsters are good enough to bridge the gap but if they are not given chances they will never be good enough.

We have 1 excellent midfielder in Herrera who is very dynamic. We need 1 more CM for sure but we are in much better position this season than last. I wouldn't mind Fellaini given chance as he has the talent and gets lot of unfair stick. Who knows with LVG he might become very good DM.

They keep winning stuff tho (they've got 10 CLs ffs!) so it must be working ...

>_> It took them 10-12 years to win the La Decima. I'd rather we not operate their way. And besides, there's no way LvG (and earlier Fergie) would have allowed that much control to slip-by. Madrid change managers like Kleenex, won't work out here =P

I know it was sarcasm, but I just couldn't resist xD

I am rather suprised there haven't been any links to us with Khedira move yet. It would be perfect chance to snap him from Arsenal & Chelsea.

Buying WC isn't the Utd way making world class is. The thing about WC is the price wages and possible effect on younger players case in point chelsea,real and city who buy excellent youngsters and they can't play because of WC demand a starting place. I'd rather.we do what atletico and dortmund have done they didn't buy WC they made it plus a shrewd manager is always better than a big name.

Buying WC isn't the Utd way making world class is. The thing about WC is the price wages and possible effect on younger players case in point chelsea,real and city who buy excellent youngsters and they can't play because of WC demand a starting place. I'd rather.we do what atletico and dortmund have done they didn't buy WC they made it plus a shrewd manager is always better than a big name.

Actually, if you look at our history, we've done both - bought WC players, but more often than not, made them. Heck, we were the first club to break transfer records in England, something which City seem to be trying to do these days. We've paid outrageous amounts for youngsters, and all the way back to near beginning of Fergie era, we have indeed bought WC players reasonably consistently. The thing is to find a right balance between the two. Experience can never go amiss, but without youth, your squad just goes stale.

I am rather suprised there haven't been any links to us with Khedira move yet. It would be perfect chance to snap him from Arsenal & Chelsea.

Khedira would actually be decent, he's starting to feature more as Box to Box than plain defensive oriented midfielder. But injuries? Gotta look at that too..

It's a shame he didn't live up to his full potential he showed very rare glimpses when he used to play but it's about time he moved on

When we bought him apparently our scout reports were to the effect that he was potentially better than Rooney!!!!!!

Actually may be part of the reason he hasnt developed any: he was then primarily an attacking midfielder/someone playing in the hole behind the striker and we never played him there ...

Mike has spoken the most sense about this: you should buy the players that will work best for you. You shouldn't do a Real and only buy big names, but you shouldn't turn down the big names if they are the best option because of some misplaced ideology. You have the funds to buy world class stars when appropriate and there is no financial reason not to do so. If you want to be a club that only develops talent, has some sort of odd pride in not buying big names and makes a tidy profit for American owners then you might as well move into the Emirates.

Yeh and we don't have any outstanding prospect for CM that I know of anyway, so it's not like we're halting anyone definite. Apart from Pogba obviously who is now gone.

Actually, if you look at our history, we've done both - bought WC players, but more often than not, made them. Heck, we were the first club to break transfer records in England, something which City seem to be trying to do these days. We've paid outrageous amounts for youngsters, and all the way back to near beginning of Fergie era, we have indeed bought WC players reasonably consistently. The thing is to find a right balance between the two. Experience can never go amiss, but without youth, your squad just goes stale.

Tbh what Dazmufc93 said want not far off the mark. We broke records to buy youngsters with potential or players in their early 20s.

In the last 20-25 years only world class players we bought were RVP, Mata, Veron, Stam from what I remember.

We then signed players like Cole, Yorke, Rio who were doing great with other clubs.

We signed players like Rooney, Shaw, Anderson, Ronaldo who were youngsters and had massive potential.

We spent money but on a long term project. IIRC Fergie even made a point about this, about not buying players above 28 years old for big money and exceptions were Berbatov, RVP.

People go on about how much ManUtd team cost, like Rooney 27 Million, Rio 28 Million and all that non sense but they fail to see the point that it took years to build team and we didn't just blew it in a single window. We built the team step by step. We spent good money when Fergie thought he will provide years of service.

Don't care if they are World-Class or not, just want players brought in who do the job. Herrera isn't at a World-Class level (not saying he won't ever be) and I'm really happy with him.

ManUtd tour squad.
Goalkeepers: De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos, Johnstone,
Wingbacks: Rafael, Shaw ,Blackett, James,
Centre-Backs: Keane Evans, Smalling, Jones,
CMs: Herrera, Cleverley, Fletcher,
Wingers: Young, Zaha, Valencia, Nani, Lingard,
10s/Strikers: Kagawa, Mata, Welbeck, Rooney, Keane

Players who took part in WC and played beyond group stages are given extended break.

Its bye bye Anderson :(

Back