The Manchester United Thread

I am mostly surprised that it took Van Gaal a week to find a system where everyone looks like they actually have a purpose. Moyes didn't manage that in a year.

I would be surprised if we stick to 3-4-1-2 for whole season. I think Van Gaal is just trying out the tactics to see which fits better. He has the luxury to sign players to make his favorite 4-3-3 work.

with this formation we have to sign at least 2 very good CBs, with 4-3-3 formation we have to sign at least 1 very good CM.

I would be surprised if we stick to 3-4-1-2 for whole season. I think Van Gaal is just trying out the tactics to see which fits better. He has the luxury to sign players to make his favorite 4-3-3 work.

with this formation we have to sign at least 2 very good CBs, with 4-3-3 formation we have to sign at least 1 very good CM.

I think he might stick with it. The #1 advantage of 3-5-2 is that he can have Mata, Rooney, and RVP on the pitch, at the same time and in their prefered positions. That is just terrifying. The #2 advantage is that finally all the attacking talent United has would be put to good use. Welbeck and Kagawa would actually get games and make an impact instead of rotting on the bench or being played out of position

Vermaelen rumours also starts making a lot more sense if LVG wants to play with 3 in the back, since it requires good ball-playing defenders.

Herrera is killing it. So many through balls, his is just toying with the defense now.

herrera has just been superb. Bossing both the MC and AMC positions. Superb passing.

Well, this was amusing. Herrera, what a performance. Shaw did OK, nothing special, but I think he'll do just fine for United.

Herrera is just amazing, not sure how many assists he had, apart from assists his passing was joy to watch.

Young off the ball movement is great which worked really well for Herrera.

Ian Ladyman ✔ @Ian_Ladyman_DM
Follow

Van Gaal confirms 3-4-3 is the way #mufc will play this season. Says also squad lacks "balance". Says "we have four number tens".

At least this season Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Mata will all play in their natural position. Also we need at least 2 new CBs if we play with 3CBs but who knows Blackett and Keane might be promoted.

Also De Vrij would be ideal signing if we are playing with 3 CBs as he knows the system and Van Gaal knows his strengths and weaknesses. Also he is available for 8-10 Million and his club is offering him to every club possible as per Dutch journos.

Last edited:
I am mostly surprised that it took Van Gaal a week to find a system where everyone looks like they actually have a purpose. Moyes didn't manage that in a year.

Yeh but are you really that surprised?

Backline looks very uncomfortable with this system.

It's going to take time, also add to the fact Jones and Smalling are still quite inexperienced as they have been shifted from pillar to post with Fergie/Moyes.

I like this formation and the options it gives us to play Mata/Rooney/RVP all together and at the same time we have capable wing-back's in Rafael and Shaw.

Oh and Valencia could do well in a wing-back position I'm sure.

Herrera looked impressive from what I saw..

LVG says the squad lacks balance and we have four number 10's, so I'm pretty convinced he's latching on pretty quickly the areas we need to improve to make this formation work. Another CB and CM is a must.

Only question now is "where will Januzaj fit in" as a striker maybe?

Januzaj is a no.10 really, like LVG says we have 4 of them and the squad is unbalanced... someone will have to miss out.... but I think there will be opportunities for rotation, at the moment Januzaj only needs a rotating role. But fact is, Mata is better, so not sure really if he's going to get anything other than a few games here and there.

Only question now is "where will Januzaj fit in" as a striker maybe?

He can play in the position Mata played or he can even play as striker. He played whole season as striker for U21s when Keane was injured and he was very impressive. At least for first team he won't be playing with his back to the goal, more like Robben role.

Januzaj is a no.10 really, like LVG says we have 4 of them and the squad is unbalanced... someone will have to miss out.... but I think there will be opportunities for rotation, at the moment Januzaj only needs a rotating role. But fact is, Mata is better, so not sure really if he's going to get anything other than a few games here and there.

If we play the same formation then I'm sure Rooney, RVP, Welbeck will play only as strikers. #10 role is Mata and maybe Januzaj will play as back up to Mata. From what we have seen in this game, Van Gaal might try Kagawa deeper as today he played as CM with Herrera as AM.

If we play the same formation then I'm sure Rooney, RVP, Welbeck will play only as strikers. #10 role is Mata and maybe Januzaj will play as back up to Mata. From what we have seen in this game, Van Gaal might try Kagawa deeper as today he played as CM with Herrera as AM.

I've long been one to try Kagawa as a dynamic CM, it's just great to have a manager with exciting ideas and tactical nous, god it feels like heaven right now.

I've long been one to try Kagawa as a dynamic CM, it's just great to have a manager with exciting ideas and tactical nous, god it feels like heaven right now.

I'm not sure about Kagawa as a CM, he is poor defensively and he has no strength whatsoever. On the plus side he is very good with both feet so he switches play with ease.

I'm not sure about Kagawa as a CM, he is poor defensively and he has no strength whatsoever. On the plus side he is very good with both feet so he switches play with ease.

Yeh there is pro's and con's of him there, but he's such a talented player, it would be great if we could make him into one... I honestly feel that's the only way he'll get a chance this season.

Back