The Manchester United Thread

This could be the best thing that's happened for Jones and Smalling.... they need to cement their position and this formation gives them the possibility to do that.

Smalling and Jones have the potential to be great CB's, however we do need another CB to come in for rotation at the very least.

I think we could also do with another wing-back to add competition to Shaw and an enforcer (like De Jong) in the middle of the park, which will be hard to get as there isn't many about.

Although Blind would solve a lot of these problems... he's a must in my eyes... be shocked if we don't go for him.

Edit: Oh and another issue is if Herrera gets injured, suddenly all what he offers is gone and we have no replacement? Something else that in an ideal world, needs to be addressed, but it's all too much to be done in one window.

Last edited:
A good promising performance especially tactically. Im dont care that much about the result LA are obviously very weak.

But its more obvious now that we need:

1.At least one (experienced) cb: De Vrij/Vermaelen would do fine if we invest in world class talent higher up the pitch.
2.Another Lb/wb to rotate with Shaw: Daley Blind would be nice
3.Arturo Vidal
4. I really hope that LVG's comments about having too many n.10s do not sound the death knell on a deal for a world class creative player on the wing as we need one. Young may have scored twice but we all know he's still ****. I also know that a 352 does not have wingers but we ll employ a 433 also obviously.

Last edited:
What I'm worried about is playing against top teams, all top teams in England have good wingers with lot of pace. So the space behind the wingbacks will be very problematic. Hopefully Van Gaal has a plan for it but at least that's one worry I have for now.

That's the nice thing about 3-5-2 though. For the tight games You can very easily switch it to 5-3-2 and suddenly you're very hard to break down.

I dont like to admit it but United obviously underachieved last season and if you make the right signings you will be back up their immediately

However, it's a vital year because two years underachieving does have an effect on who you can target and who wants to come. Liverpool are a perfect example - we had to target average players for years due to poor finishes in the league and even now we cannot compete for the top, top players even though we are back in the CL due to only having one successful season

That's the nice thing about 3-5-2 though. For the tight games You can very easily switch it to 5-3-2 and suddenly you're very hard to break down.

Yeah but will make us defensive..

It blows my mind that Valencia needs to be given instructions about something as basic as 'look at goalkeeper before you shoot'. And ot was 100% accurate observation from Van Gaal, too.

Some kids arent taught that way, if you're not a natural finsher, most coaches will tell you to get the technique right over everything else, form right, head down, laces through the ball. Mostly likely taught this way as a winger cutting in, his shots were most likely from 15-20 yard range. Mans a natural wide player/wing back, prob not given much finishing training in comparison. but Total Football and LVG shows you otherwise (and rightly so really).

EDIT : on the formation, i like it, if only for the improvement it will give Jones and Smalling that would be much needed, compared to the TOp 4, CB pairings. I wouldnt mind a CB in the middle that can step into the Anchor, ie Javi Martinez or even Song or Masherano at a push.

Last edited:
We'll need two more cb's if we are to play that system for most of the season, de vrij and vermaelen wouldn't be the worst signings.

EDIT : on the formation, i like it, if only for the improvement it will give Jones and Smalling that would be much needed, compared to the TOp 4, CB pairings. I wouldnt mind a CB in the middle that can step into the Anchor, ie Javi Martinez or even Song or Masherano at a push.

I had always thought that Vermaelen could be a good DM, or maybe it's just me.

Some kids arent taught that way, if you're not a natural finsher, most coaches will tell you to get the technique right over everything else, form right, head down, laces through the ball. Mostly likely taught this way as a winger cutting in, his shots were most likely from 15-20 yard range. Mans a natural wide player/wing back, prob not given much finishing training in comparison. but Total Football and LVG shows you otherwise (and rightly so really).

It's why he was unhappy about losing Carrick, and why he is targeting Blind.

Are you sure he is targeting Blind? I have heard no news about him for quite some time already.
Hummels, Blind, De Vrij, but in no rush to make any further signings. Hence no updates

Hummels, Blind, De Vrij, but in no rush to make any further signings. Hence no updates

But why? It's quite obvious we need them now so why not give them more time to gel into the city/team before season starts?

But why? It's quite obvious we need them now so why not give them more time to gel into the city/team before season starts?

Because new managers like to see what they have for themselves first before signing players.

So apparently Vidal has stated that while he is not sure about his future at Juventus, he is not going to Manchester.

Well Vidal just landed from his flight and the reporter was hounding him asking for answers, of course he wouldn't be giving him his actual answer.

Back