The Manchester United Thread

As a Spurs fan I was impressed with how United tore Galaxy a new one last night. I know not to go too far into reading too much into friendlies but if United are playing like that then you will be back into challenging for the title.

As a Spurs fan I was impressed with how United tore Galaxy a new one last night. I know not to go too far into reading too much into friendlies but if United are playing like that then you will be back into challenging for the title.

I only really hope for top 4, anything more is a bonus this season in my eyes.

Still need to strengthen this window, with a CB (especially if it's a 3 of the back formation) and a CM, oh and another wing-back to add competition to Shaw.

But yeh, it's a good start, promising signs that we're back to some kind of structure and vision which was lacked for all of Moyes reign.

Was very interesting to me that Kagawa played deep CM and Herrera played No.10 in second half.

Great performance, everyone played rather well. Jones and Evans are absolute leaders. Captain material, both of them.

Herrera was immense. Half a second ahead of everyone with his passing as seen for Young's second goal. Plays the pass earlier than expected which catches defence off guard and means striker is still onside. Very bright performance.

For anyone who missed the game (I did) here's a link to watch the game in full. The whole 90 minutes.
https://twitter.com/dmf180593/status/492213210985271296

Very good performance. Roll on Saturday vs AS Roma.

I only really hope for top 4, anything more is a bonus this season in my eyes.

Still need to strengthen this window, with a CB (especially if it's a 3 of the back formation) and a CM, oh and another wing-back to add competition to Shaw.

But yeh, it's a good start, promising signs that we're back to some kind of structure and vision which was lacked for all of Moyes reign.

If we really play 3-4-3 then it makes sense to buy Blind as he plays 3 positions and we need player for all 3 positions.

Blind and De Vrij would be very good additions.

If we really play 3-4-3 then it makes sense to buy Blind as he plays 3 positions and we need player for all 3 positions.

Yeh would like both of them and they are realistic.

Actually they seems to be the perfect additions. They would need no time to blend into LVG's system as he had worked with them before and know their strengths, and with Herrera playing like he was today I think all he needs is someone to cover him in the midfield, which Blind would do just fine. Blind can also play LB/LWB if required and if Whoscored is trustable he had played in CB before, just in case emergency happens. The 3-5-2 formation needs ball playing defenders and De Vrij is certainly one with lots of potential. I'm hoping it will happen.

I have loved watching Herrera play for years, and now seeing him for United is beautiful :D

That was funny :P
Just watching the game and James just scored his first, and i think the commentators have no idea who he is, they haven't mentioned his name yet haha! saying how well everyone else did !!

He can play in the position Mata played or he can even play as striker. He played whole season as striker for U21s when Keane was injured and he was very impressive. At least for first team he won't be playing with his back to the goal, more like Robben role.
guess this is the end of the road for Nani. Young looked more mobile and comfortable in the striker role. But alas it's just one game.

guess this is the end of the road for Nani. Young looked more mobile and comfortable in the striker role. But alas it's just one game.

Tbh Young's off the ball movement was always good. That's one of his attribute I like. He can thrive in this role IMO.

3 years ago, you would have been laughed off the internet for so many parts of that sentence.

5 assists for Herrera in one game. Must be more than our CMs combined managed last year!

5 assists for Herrera in one game. Must be more than our CMs combined managed last year!

Sure it's 5 assists?

Valencia won penalty.
Welbeck assisted Rooney
Mata assisted Welbeck
Young rebound shot was scored by James
Young's cut back was scored by James.

He was involved in 5 goals and assisted 2. But he was the involved in all 5 goals like playing nice pass to the player to set up goal.

3 years ago, you would have been laughed off the internet for so many parts of that sentence.

5 years ago, you would have been laughed off the Internet for suggesting that a team containing Torres and Eto'o would struggle for goals :P

Sure it's 5 assists?

Valencia won penalty.
Welbeck assisted Rooney
Mata assisted Welbeck
Young rebound shot was scored by James
Young's cut back was scored by James.

He was involved in 5 goals and assisted 2. But he was the involved in all 5 goals like playing nice pass to the player to set up goal.

Not sure, only just watching the game. Was just told it was 5.

More depressingly, 2 is still more than Carrick and Cleverley managed together last season..

Not read through the previous pages so apologies if it has been discussed but what are your thoughts on the new formation Van Gaal will play?

Looking in from the outside United are weakest at centre half and would need to be strengthened significantly if it was to be successful

More depressingly, 2 is still more than Carrick and Cleverley managed together last season..

He is just awesome. Looks very direct player.

Not read through the previous pages so apologies if it has been discussed but what are your thoughts on the new formation Van Gaal will play?

Looking in from the outside United are weakest at centre half and would need to be strengthened significantly if it was to be successful

I didn't like it before but after the game I'm starting to like it as our best players play in their natural positions and lack of CMs can be covered to an extent.

What I'm worried about is playing against top teams, all top teams in England have good wingers with lot of pace. So the space behind the wingbacks will be very problematic. Hopefully Van Gaal has a plan for it but at least that's one worry I have for now.

One more positive thing about this formation is all 3 CBs looked good and if we can sign De Vrij who is available for as little as 8-10 Million then it will improve our team. He knows the system and worked with Van Gaal.

Yes, and we are at least signing a CB or even two if that is the formation we are going to play. Happy times indeed!

Back