The Manchester United Thread

I think it's one of the respected paper in Italy. Not sure about this story though but over all I though it was respected paper.
Gazzetta is really bad, it's mostly gossip newspaper. Don't trust them very much.

Vermaelen was obviously the main target and with Arsenal signing Callum Chambers who Wenger himself said "can play RB, CB and CM", United are obviously very confident of getting that deal done.

EDIT: Rafael has been sent home from the tour due to his groin injury -> Rafael sent home injured from US Tour

Last 2 seasons Vermaelen was injured most of the time. Not sure about adding one more injury prone CB and also he is not even very good CB.

Anyways Van Gaal is spot on till date as ManUtd manager so it will be interesting to see whom he wants in the team.

Yeh... it's an odd one, maybe LVG thinks we don't need another young relatively inexperienced CB, we have plenty of them tbf.

But age he is not inexperienced isn't it?

Also I have posed few days back, how our defense is not inexperienced. They are playing for years in top level so they are all experienced.

But age he is not inexperienced isn't it?

Also I have posed few days back, how our defense is not inexperienced. They are playing for years in top level so they are all experienced.

I can't think of a solid reason other then that, if I had a choice between De Vrij or Vermealen I'd still go for De Vrij.

I can't think of a solid reason other then that, if I had a choice between De Vrij or Vermealen I'd still go for De Vrij.

Yeah.

Anyone feel that we might also play Carrick as one of the CB? There are rumors that Van Gaal is impressed most with Evans because of his skill on the ball, so if we don't sign a ball playing CB he can play Carrick as CB isn't it?

Yeah.

Anyone feel that we might also play Carrick as one of the CB? There are rumors that Van Gaal is impressed most with Evans because of his skill on the ball, so if we don't sign a ball playing CB he can play Carrick as CB isn't it?

Possibly.... but we kind of need Carrick as a CM as we have lack of options there as well. If Carrick was CB it would mean virtually relying on one of Cleverley/Anderson/Fellaini with Herrera, not the most exciting of prospects.

Need to sign a few players, but the weeks keep going by with not much seemingly happening.

BtnXvJDIgAAlFaB.jpg

The number of people who don't know how to calculate wages is hilarious. In England it's gross and in Germany, Italy, Spain they report net wages.

BtnXvJDIgAAlFaB.jpg

The number of people who don't know how to calculate wages is hilarious. In England it's gross and in Germany, Italy, Spain they report net wages.

The BBC still think Wayne Rooney earns more than Messi.

GdS reporting United are ready to bid €60M for Vidal and that Juventus will leave it to Vidal to decide.

Here's original link in Italian - http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Juventus/27-07-2014/juventus-vidal-manchester-united-allegri-60-milioni-801368683647.shtml …

Here's an image of the story translated into English - http://gyazo.com/27dc3f1cbf7a99d991696f70165c7826 …

I propose FM-base drinking game. Each time there's a Vidal to United rumour, we take vodka shot.

I propose FM-base drinking game. Each time there's a Vidal to United rumour, we take vodka shot.

No thanks, I like my liver. Vidal to United is already more boring than Fabregas. Except this time, there is even less reputable news.

Allegri and Juventus to hold a press conference tomorrow at 1pm UK time. Expecting Allegri to say "Vidal is staying" and everyone to explode.

Means nothing. He has to say that, regardless of whatever is really happening. If he says he's off, they lose leverage in negotiations and face in public.

Last edited:
I hope Carrick does not plat at CB, cant see it myself. Will be happy if we get Vermalen, that will give us Evans,Jones,Smalling,Vermalen,Keane,Blackett,Thorpe,James for CB options. More than enough considering were not in Europe. Lets spend the cash elsewhere.

Its called hyperbole.

Word talk.
That argument is a complete paradox, as hyperbole is commonly defined as: "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." The only way you can justify it in any way is with a verbose stream of semiotics and linguistic relativity, but even then it only works in a theoretical context. There's also little reason to, apart from to be contrary, as justifying it would rather imply that there is some merit to that kind of usage. That's a hard case to make: it's a decidedly inelegant method of expression, a bit like double negatives. I'd be happy to discuss it further in PMs if you want.

On topic.
With Hererra being so dynamic, what do guys think you will do in terms of a holder? Is a Kagawa + Hererra partnership strong enough defensively?

Last edited:
Word talk.
That argument is a complete paradox, as hyperbole is commonly defined as: "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." The only way you can justify it in any way is with a verbose stream of semiotics and linguistic relativity, but even then it only works in a theoretical context. There's also little reason to, apart from to be contrary, as justifying it would rather imply that there is some merit to that kind of usage. That's a hard case to make: it's a decidedly inelegant method of expression, a bit like double negatives. I'd be happy to discuss it further in PMs if you want.

On topic.
With Hererra being so dynamic, what do guys think you will do in terms of a holder? Is a Kagawa + Hererra partnership strong enough defensively?

Probably not, but could many smaller teams in the league cope with a Kagawa + Herrera with Mata, Rooney, RVP all on the same pitch?

Against bigger teams it would be an issue I reckon, I am still hoping we are signing another CM though cos I don't particularly think it's good enough especially with Cleverley and Fellaini as back up.

Back