The Manchester United Thread

Started the game well then went downhill once we conceded the penalty. Second half we were completely different team.

Blackett, Shaw, Young were very good. Very much impressed with Young and Blackett.

Also conceded only 4 goals in preseason, 3 penalties and 1 freak goal. It's a great record when you consider the quality of opposition.

Just a pre season but a great start for the new boss and the new tactics is winning over the players.

Rob Dawson ‏@RobDawsonMEN 4m
Van Gaal asked about players coming in. "I can not talk about players in the media. The price goes up."

Hopefully :D

2 games in 2 days and a lot of travelling... honestly think that's good performance and result considering.

Winning when you don't play well is a great sign.

Blackett has been watching tapes of Rio Ferdinand in his prime. Bundle of composure, pace, power and talent. Top prospect.

Young was superb on this tour. Shaw was excellent yesterday. Rooney looks clinical up top, Mata is special in No.10 role. Welbeck offers so much more than Hernandez.

Really think Hernandez and Nani have missed their chance and will be gone this summer. A shame, but it's the right decision.

Blackett has been watching tapes of Rio Ferdinand in his prime. Bundle of composure, pace, power and talent. Top prospect.

Young was superb on this tour. Shaw was excellent yesterday. Rooney looks clinical up top, Mata is special in No.10 role. Welbeck offers so much more than Hernandez.

Really think Hernandez and Nani have missed their chance and will be gone this summer. A shame, but it's the right decision.

Have to thank Jose for selling Mata. Class player.

I have no idea why Rooney's goal was disallowed.

Because it was too good to be a legal goal..

So are you guys happy with Young and Rafael as RWB options?

So are you guys happy with Young and Rafael as RWB options?

I'm definitely hoping Rafael stays fit and manages to hit form under LvG like he's capable of. I've long been a fan of Rafael, and in this system, he should find more prominence being to his attacking instincts. I'd rather he get more chances than Valencia, tbh. Young has actually been pretty brilliant this pre-season, but I'm still reserving judgement on him based off his past performances. But I guess he could be a back-up to Shaw, which also spares us spending on another LB.

Still need a midfielder though, that first half especially is a sign that it's still very light-weight.. sure LVG knows that but hope we have time to actually get someone.

Still need a midfielder though, that first half especially is a sign that it's still very light-weight.. sure LVG knows that but hope we have time to actually get someone.

Well, still have almost a month left. One CB and one CM should be doable.. Evans, Jones, Smalling and New CB would be starters, with Keane rotation should carry us through the season, especially since no CL. Same with midfield, Fletcher has been excellent, same with Herrera, and Carrick will also be in contention once he recuperates from his injury. Once CM should be more than enough, especially since Powell is also present for backup, not to mention Cleverley.

Well, still have almost a month left. One CB and one CM should be doable.. Evans, Jones, Smalling and New CB would be starters, with Keane rotation should carry us through the season, especially since no CL. Same with midfield, Fletcher has been excellent, same with Herrera, and Carrick will also be in contention once he recuperates from his injury. Once CM should be more than enough, especially since Powell is also present for backup, not to mention Cleverley.

Definitely need a new CB. But Blackett was awesome yesterday and has been one of the shining lights of this tour for me, made Evans look average yesterday. IMO he deserves a look in this season based on what he has shown.

I'm more interested in what roles our Youth players will have this season. Keane should be pretty straightforward, backup CB. I'm guessing Wilson will be backup striker, mainly used in Cup games.. The others are more puzzling. Lingard for one probably wouldn't fit into this system - He likes to cut in, but LvG uses no advanced widemen, so another loan? Would be disappointing, maybe he'd be kept back as a different option. And Angelo Henriquez, due to the emergence of Wilson, he'll probably be loaned out again?

Probably too early for Reece James to start, he maybe backup at most, but most probably will be loaned out to a PL team..

I'm not mentioning our other youth (Pearson, Rothwell, Blackett etc), because it maybe unrealistic to expect them to play in what is essentially a make-or-break season.

I'm definitely hoping Rafael stays fit and manages to hit form under LvG like he's capable of. I've long been a fan of Rafael, and in this system, he should find more prominence being to his attacking instincts. I'd rather he get more chances than Valencia, tbh. Young has actually been pretty brilliant this pre-season, but I'm still reserving judgement on him based off his past performances. But I guess he could be a back-up to Shaw, which also spares us spending on another LB.

Young was very good as both LWB and RWB so yeah we should use him as cover and also can promote Varela as Rafael's back up.

I'm more interested in what roles our Youth players will have this season. Keane should be pretty straightforward, backup CB. I'm guessing Wilson will be backup striker, mainly used in Cup games.. The others are more puzzling. Lingard for one probably wouldn't fit into this system - He likes to cut in, but LvG uses no advanced widemen, so another loan? Would be disappointing, maybe he'd be kept back as a different option. And Angelo Henriquez, due to the emergence of Wilson, he'll probably be loaned out again?

Probably too early for Reece James to start, he maybe backup at most, but most probably will be loaned out to a PL team..

I'm not mentioning our other youth (Pearson, Rothwell, Blackett etc), because it maybe unrealistic to expect them to play in what is essentially a make-or-break season.

From what we have seen this preseason Blackett is more ready for first team than Keane.

Also Lingard played well as AM, CM and also as RWB. So he should be with first team rather than going out on loan.

Van Gaal said this season he wants to concentrate more on first team so I wouldn't expect lot of young players getting chances.

Also with all the young players name mentioned, it's shame that Nick Powell name is not at all mentioned. Hopefully he will get chance as a CM.

I watched the first half again and only thing that caused us problems was our own mistakes. Just look at what caused the build up to Sterling's dive which thankfully wasn't given. as a pentalty, lord knows what Smalling and Jones were doing there.

I watched the first half again and only thing that caused us problems was our own mistakes. Just look at what caused the build up to Sterling's dive which thankfully wasn't given. as a pentalty, lord knows what Smalling and Jones were doing there.
Yeah mate still getting used to new system, LVG has said no end that he needs more training time. Been a great tour and gone a long way to get rid of last seasons memories!

Also with all the young players name mentioned, it's shame that Nick Powell name is not at all mentioned. Hopefully he will get chance as a CM.

Back