The Manchester United Thread

It's just a shame Evra and Büttner left, because they would have been capable wing backs in this system. Depleted options on the left side, hence Young's deployment there (pleasant surprise).

May have even posed Büttner in a different light, compared to the "winger-turned-full-back" label that can't compete at this level well enough. This squad a year back with Van Gaal would have done significantly better, for sure.

Not really a shame Buttner left. LVG knew how he wanted to play and did not rate him in the slightest, hence he was sold. He wanted to keep Evra though.

If we go with the same formation we have been using in pre season for majority of games means we'd have 3 for the RWB position, Cuadrado is better than both Rafael and especially Valencia (by some distance).

But yeh I see your point... I just don't know how often we'd use 4-3-3 this season.

He wants to be able to shift easily from 3-4-1-2 to 4-3-3 by changing one position. It's why United wanted Di Maria. CM/10/wide attack in a heart beat. Cuadrado can play both wingback positions and both wide positions

Not really a shame Buttner left. LVG knew how he wanted to play and did not rate him in the slightest, hence he was sold. He wanted to keep Evra though.

I still think he would have offered a lot. But it doesn't matter now anyway.

Well Vidal played in the World Cup even though he wasn't even fit enough and apparently it was a meniscus injury, which is quite a problematic one, so that's probably why we are hesitating.

Of course that is just assuming what Sampaoli said is true.

Fair enough, didn't know that. Wouldn't it make more sense to push through the deal and check that out during the medical? Surely that would give you a better idea than watching him in a couple of pre-season friendlies..

Xavi:

'When I think about all I have won with Spain and Barcelona and all they great players I have played with - it is impossible for me to have any regrets,' said Xavi.
'Maybe one small regret is that I never got to play with Paul Scholes - but I was never going to leave Barcelona and he was never going to leave Manchester United.'

Barcelona midfielder Xavi admits the only regret of his career is not playing alongside former Manchester United star Paul Scholes  | Mail Online

That's fantastic. Other team wouldn't have touched the ball had Scholes and Xavi played in the same team.

France had Zidane - they built a team around him and won a World Cup
Italy had Pirlo - they built a team around him and won a World Cup
Spain had Xavi - they built a team around him and won a World Cup
England had Scholes - they shove him to the left side of the midfield to play Gerrard and Lampard together, forcing Scholes to consider his options and ultimately he retired. England are still wondering why are they so ****.

England had Scholes - they shove him to the left side of the midfield to play Gerrard and Lampard together, forcing Scholes to consider his options and ultimately he retired. England are still wondering why are they so ****.

I was about to make pretty much the same post. I do feel Scholes is more appreciated now than he was 6 or 7 years ago, but it's too late for England now.

That was one of Sven's biggest mistakes. Both Mclaren and Capello had talked of wanting him to come out of retirement.

Man Utd youngster 15 yr old RoShaun Williams breaks Darren Campbell 25yr old 100m school record in 10.99 seconds, the youngster was said to be delighted by this and has been on Utds books since age 9. One of the promising youngsters says has aspirations to play for 1st team and England. Also Phill Neville said he is no longer on the coaching staff. Few rumours going round we made 8m bid for De Jong, and Cuadrado future should be sorted in next few days after arriving back in Italy. And finally happy 31st B.Day RVP :)

Mata likely to play a lot and be in the goals/ assists? Thinking of putting him in my Fantasy team haha

I've got Rooney and Giroud - RVP want be playing early in the season anyway.

This times infinity.

I think the Scholes thing is very easy to say in retrospect, but there wasn't exactly a huge clamouring for it at the time. When you know that his sort of player enjoyed a renaissance around the time he was misused, it's easy to say "lol England so stupid for not picking Scholes" but a lot of people thought that Gerrard's/Lampard's dynamism made them much more suitable to the contemporary notion of "modern football".

I think the Scholes thing is very easy to say in retrospect, but there wasn't exactly a huge clamouring for it at the time. When you know that his sort of player enjoyed a renaissance around the time he was misused, it's easy to say "lol England so stupid for not picking Scholes" but a lot of people thought that Gerrard's/Lampard's dynamism made them much more suitable to the contemporary notion of "modern football".

England so easily could have had what United had - a box-to-box midfielder and Scholes in the midfield. We had Keane who was Box-to-Box and Ball-winning complete midfielder alongside Scholes. His going ahead, combining with Scholes pinpoint passing was vital for us. England could've had something similar, or atleast a 3 man midfield, utilising all 3 to their potential, but instead screwed it up.

But if it had to be a 2 man midfield in those times, I'd have picked Lampard and Scholes, instead of Gerrard - I considered Lampard to be more complete, and more Box-to-Box than Gerrard back then/

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Utd is one of 3 big clubs after his services, and that we have made an offer.

Well I became a Man Utd fan because of Scholes and had been a fanboy of him since 8, so in my mind he was always the best midfielder for England (and in the world!). I personally it's English's obsession with "grit, hard work, and never stop running until you drop" that made them think Lampard and Gerrard are the better players.

Btw Wenger confirmed that we have a bid for Vermaelen. I guess we are starting to get active again after returning from our tour.

Back