The Manchester United Thread

Here is the transfer news we all are waiting for.

Milinkovic deal finalised

FK Vojvodina have confirmed a deal has been finalised with Manchester United for Vanja Milinkovic.
Club president Zoran Scepanovic addressed a press conference to announce the details of the transfer of the 17-year-old goalkeeper.

"After lengthy talks that have taken place over the past month, we have finally completed negotiations on Monday and we can officially inform the public that our young and promising goalkeeper has joined Manchester United," said Scepanovic.

"He will remain in Vojvodina for the next year, where he will be under the supervision of our experts and coaches from the English football giants, while continuing to train and perform in the jersey of his home club. This is an opportunity to thank everyone who participated in the realisation of this transfer. Can I point out Manchester United's very correct attitude."

The Reds announced in May that a move had been agreed and the teenager would be loaned back to his current side before arriving in Manchester after the Serbian season.

Although he only turned 17 in February, the 6ft 7in keeper is an Under-19 international for his country, along with his brother Sergej.
Milinkovic's Manchester United deal confirmed - Official Manchester United Website

Although he only turned 17 in February, the 6ft 7in keeper is an Under-19 international for his country, along with his brother Sergej

The ****, at this rate he will end up over 7 feet.

Probably too early for Reece James to start, he maybe backup at most, but most probably will be loaned out to a PL team.

I would prefer us to keep him than loaning him away. Loans never work as they are intended anyway, as players being loaned almost always ended up being sold anyway. I would rather us take the risk and play him in a few games than losing for nothing even though he had shown promise (Pogba anyone?).

When Van Gaal took over it was reported that he wanted smaller squad, meaning 20 outfield first team players. Van Gaal said he will make decision and tell players who are not in his plans. So this week there will be lot of Ins and outs hopefully.

I'm predicting these players will be in the list of 20 players.

RB: Rafael, Valencia
LB: Shaw, Young
CB: Evans, Jones, Smalling, New CB

CM: Herrera, Fletcher, Carrick, Cleverley, New CM

AM: Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj.
ST: Rooney, RVP, Welbeck

This is assuming we sign 1 CB and 1 CM. And we have 1 more open spot

Apart from these there are young players who will be promoted or given few games. Not everyone can get games as Van Gaal said in his first year he can't give chances to young players but hopefully at least few get the chances along with half a season loan.
Blackett
Keane
Powell
Reece James should be given few games and likes of Pearson, Henriquez, Rothwell should be sent out on loan.

Looks like it's the end of Nani, Hernandez, Zaha, Fellaini.

Last edited:
Need 4 strikers to reliably play current system, so I can't imagine Hernadez to be shipped off. Unless one of the younger lads will step up.

Need 4 strikers to reliably play current system, so I can't imagine Hernadez to be shipped off. Unless one of the younger lads will step up.

Can imagine Januzaj being used a s ST.

James Wilson should get a look in and maybe Will Keane, we certainly are not short of great strikers and potentially great strikers.

If I had to drop one I'd let go of Hernandez.

Even if hernandez goes we do not need another striker, not even close.

Just hurry up and give me a CB and CM woody.

Januzaj was promoted for first team for his performances as striker for U21.
James Wilson can play, Will Keane, Angelo Henriquez.

Also not to forget Young :D

Tom Coast - Sports Witness Journalist said:
Jorge Sampaoli has had a little bit of a chat with El Mercurio about many things surrounding the Chile NT, and one of the topics is Vidal. Sampaoli admits that the Vidal everybody saw at the World Cup was only “30-40%” of the Vidal everyone knows from Juventus. Sampaoli says how, by playing in the WC, Vidal sacrificed himself for the NT and could have potentially damaged his own personal objectives. Now, the most interesting part of all this is the next quote. Sampaoli mentions directly Vidal’s transfer to #MUFC. Sampaoli: “I know that the main problem in Vidal’s $80m transfer to #MUFC is LVG’s doubt over the improvement of Vidal’s knee”

Maybe that's what holding the transfer.

Maybe that's what holding the transfer.
Understandable, as the club does not want another Hargreaves incident happening again. It already hurts a lot when your best midfielder is forever injured, but you also couldn't make another midfielder signing because there might be a chance of him recovering from his injury and you would have too many midfielders. I believe that is one of the reasons why SAF didn't sign another midfielder all these years - because of Hargreaves.

Understandable, as the club does not want another Hargreaves incident happening again. It already hurts a lot when your best midfielder is forever injured, but you also couldn't make another midfielder signing because there might be a chance of him recovering from his injury and you would have too many midfielders. I believe that is one of the reasons why SAF didn't sign another midfielder all these years - because of Hargreaves.

I find that hard to believe. Vidal has never had a long-term injury, Hargreaves was picking up all kinds of injuries throughout his career, years before United signed him.

I find that hard to believe. Vidal has never had a long-term injury, Hargreaves was picking up all kinds of injuries throughout his career, years before United signed him.
Well Vidal played in the World Cup even though he wasn't even fit enough and apparently it was a meniscus injury, which is quite a problematic one, so that's probably why we are hesitating.

Of course that is just assuming what Sampaoli said is true.

Di Marzio says we preparing bid for Cuadrado.

Vidal is hotting up, just when I thought it was totally dead. Sampaoli Chile manager seems to be adamant a move will happen if his knee is no longer an issue... which explains why United are waiting to perhaps see how he does in a few Juve pre season games?

Di Marzio says we preparing bid for Cuadrado.

Vidal is hotting up, just when I thought it was totally dead. Sampaoli Chile manager seems to be adamant a move will happen if his knee is no longer an issue... which explains why United are waiting to perhaps see how he does in a few Juve pre season games?

Van Gaal was quite clear that he wanted to see the players before ins and outs. Now the tour is over he will be telling those who have no future and replacing them

Nothing, we need two right backs. He's quite injury prone. Cuadrado can also play higher in a 4-3-3.

If we go with the same formation we have been using in pre season for majority of games means we'd have 3 for the RWB position, Cuadrado is better than both Rafael and especially Valencia (by some distance).

But yeh I see your point... I just don't know how often we'd use 4-3-3 this season.

It's just a shame Evra and Büttner left, because they would have been capable wing backs in this system. Depleted options on the left side, hence Young's deployment there (pleasant surprise).

May have even posed Büttner in a different light, compared to the "winger-turned-full-back" label that can't compete at this level well enough. This squad a year back with Van Gaal would have done significantly better, for sure.

Back