The Manchester United Thread

Vidal or Blind will have signed by Friday and if Keane does go out on loan expect CB unless LVG sees blind in a back 3.

Btw, why did we not even try for Mangala? I think he'd even given out a statement stating he'd prefer United or Chelsea over other clubs? Definitely talented, and he could have worked under a 3 man defence..

Btw, why did we not even try for Mangala? I think he'd even given out a statement stating he'd prefer United or Chelsea over other clubs? Definitely talented, and he could have worked under a 3 man defence..
Because his all out price would have been nearly 54€.. Porto only owned 54% of the player and Porto wanted a 20m deal already. The rest of player rights were owned by some investment bank. Basically on that deal City/Monaco/PSG are only stupid enough to buy out those players.

Because his all out price would have been nearly 54€.. Porto only owned 54% of the player and Porto wanted a 20m deal already. The rest of player rights were owned by some investment bank. Basically on that deal City/Monaco/PSG are only stupid enough to buy out those players.

Hm.. Makes sense, that looks too high a price for a young player. But, and no I'm not having a meltdown, but realistically, who are our defence options? We seem to be in the running for Benatia, but so do Chelsea, and they seem determined to get him. We let Garay go (we actually could have gotten him, dunno what happened there), and considering what you've just said about Mangala's price, he wasn't an option.. And we definitely need a CB, especially since there are rumours that Keane is about to be loaned out..
Hummels has been made Dortmund captain, no way in **** is he leaving at all now (it was slim at best, his coming to us anyhow).

I know I've only been listing names whom we were linked, but I don't have any other names to speculate.. Kinda makes you wonder why we didn't move for de Vrij at all..

48 hours since LVG mentioned Di Maria and we haven't signed him yet? #WoodyOut

Give it chance man! If we're three games in with 2 or 3 points and no more signings have been made then fair enough you might have a small point to make. But even then....

When we are at risk at dropping points it's too late... plus signings should be made before the competitive games start to give ourselves the best chance of a settled squad.

Unbeliveable really. I have no idea how the window will turn out. But the hysteria is insane.

Let's not forget that LVG explictly didnt want to sign players till he had seen what he had on tour. That didnt stop them looking at their options though.

I can only assume that he is panicking because he's not paid attention to all of the conferences, because he only seems to pick out the parts that go with his panic.

I've heard what he says, but the time to get transfers in is before the season starts, before we are at risk of dropping points, we don't know how valuable each point could be in the end of the season do we?

Plus if we got them in sooner rather than later it would give us more time to have a settled squad, rather than a paper thin one reliant on last seasons failures who have looked good (Young) or semi-good (Cleverley) in pre season.

We've lost 3 key players arguably 4 if you count carrick and only brought 2 players in... please do the maths and realise we badly need a signing or two at very least.

Holy ****, are you actually like this? I just assumed you acted like it to troll the other threads.

Take a chill pill man, no sense in getting so negative until the window is over.

How can anyone argue that the best time to do your business is before the season starts to have a settled squad? I only have to look at what Chelsea have done to realise this as well. Most of your new players will have had an opportunity to play already and adapt to life with the new team/surroundings, therefore giving you the best chance possible of starting well and you never know how important each point is.

Delaying transfers until nearer the end of the window is a recipe for disaster because it makes it a lot harder in most cases and one only has to point to the panic buy of Fellaini.

No clue, from what I heard Mangala was very reluctant to go to City so there must of been little competition for him, kind of think we are aiming for an experienced CB though..... but then again the only one remotely left realistically now is Benatia and we'll have to pay quite a bit for him.

No clue, from what I heard Mangala was very reluctant to go to City so there must of been little competition for him, kind of think we are aiming for an experienced CB though..... but then again the only one remotely left realistically now is Benatia and we'll have to pay quite a bit for him.

Dunno, Chelsea seem to be in serious competition for Benatia, so we'll need to alternatives if that doesn't work out..

Lol, some rumours indicate we've submitted a 16 Million bid for Marcos Rojo, after he refused to turn up for training. I think he's more of a LB than CB, although he can play both.

You guys throwing out names without even thinking that not every world class defender fit into 3 man line - that's rather uncommon choice so far, that being said I am pretty sure LvG have specially looking for players who have previous experience in that type of play or CB's who have played on right or left flank before.

How can anyone argue that the best time to do your business is before the season starts to have a settled squad? I only have to look at what Chelsea have done to realise this as well. Most of your new players will have had an opportunity to play already and adapt to life with the new team/surroundings, therefore giving you the best chance possible of starting well and you never know how important each point is.

Delaying transfers until nearer the end of the window is a recipe for disaster because it makes it a lot harder in most cases and one only has to point to the panic buy of Fellaini.

In ideal circumstances, you would have all your business done by now, but you were not in ideal circumstances. You had a squad of players that were of varying worth, and LvG rightly wanted to assess them himself before he made any decisions.

You guys throwing out names without even thinking that not every world class defender fit into 3 man line - that's rather uncommon choice so far, that being said I am pretty sure LvG have specially looking for players who have previous experience in that type of play or CB's who have played on right or left flank before.

IMO it doesn't matter much, but if it does, Benatia would be perfect as he has experience of both systems.

In ideal circumstances, you would have all your business done by now, but you were not in ideal circumstances. You had a squad of players that were of varying worth, and LvG rightly wanted to assess them himself before he made any decisions.

Yes, that time has passed, he knows what he needs, he has mentioned what he needs to the press, defenders in particular. Said the squad is broken and is unbalanced, he knows the problems and he handed a list of targets to Woodward that he was meant to be working on... I think the problem is him delivering these more than anything.

Yes, that time has passed, he knows what he needs, he has mentioned what he needs to the press, defenders in particular. Said the squad is broken and is unbalanced, he knows the problems and he handed a list of targets to Woodward that he was meant to be working on... I think the problem is him delivering these more than anything.

Well, to be fair, it's not always as easy as snapping fingers and getting the players. Maybe under Fergie, it'd have been, but after the season we've just had, WC targets were always going to be a bit difficult. Just have to wait and see I guess, no harm in speculating, but still time remaining before we start panicking..

You finished your tour a week ago and the club is clearly working towards getting players in. I seriously don't know what you're expecting here: it's not like you were going to play Liverpool, get rid of 7 players the next day and then sign 4 more the day after. These things take time, and all the signs suggest that you are actively chasing 2-4 players for the first team.

Lol, some rumours indicate we've submitted a 16 Million bid for Marcos Rojo, after he refused to turn up for training. I think he's more of a LB than CB, although he can play both.

Maybe this is why. Just like Cuadrado or Blind, it's really useful to have players who can play on multiple positions during a game, so you can change tactics without subbing too many players. Maybe some people have more information about it, but it thought Argentina started playing in the WC with 5-men defence and changed to 4-men.

You finished your tour a week ago and the club is clearly working towards getting players in. I seriously don't know what you're expecting here: it's not like you were going to play Liverpool, get rid of 7 players the next day and then sign 4 more the day after. These things take time, and all the signs suggest that you are actively chasing 2-4 players for the first team.

A team that I feel is ready and competent to give us the best chance of going into the start of a pivotal season, where anything outside top 4 is a failure and is going to effect the club big time.

At the moment we've lost all the main experience in defence and are relying on 2 totally unproven youth players in defence as backup. Midfield is reliant on Fletcher staying injury free or else we're screwed and we have to rely on the failures of last season again.. Cleverley.... even worse... Fellaini.... even worse again... Anderson. (If he makes it to the bench).

If we are really wanting these players such as Vidal or Di Maria who have been available for a good few weeks or more now at a premium price admittedly, we have to pay it and stop pussyfooting around it because we all know that we'll end up with none of them in the end.

I dunno, there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the running for Vidal, if we actually manage to pull it off, think of the statement we'll be delivering.. Signing the best midfielder in the world inspite of no CL. But then again, screwups may happen, and we could end up getting Guarin or Song :\

I would really dislike it if we got Song, although he is better at what he does than the rest of our CM, he definitely is on a decline after his time at Barca..

A team that I feel is ready and competent to give us the best chance of going into the start of a pivotal season, where anything outside top 4 is a failure and is going to effect the club big time.

At the moment we've lost all the main experience in defence and are relying on 2 totally unproven youth players in defence as backup. Midfield is reliant on Fletcher staying injury free or else we're screwed and we have to rely on the failures of last season again.. Cleverley.... even worse... Fellaini.... even worse again... Anderson. (If he makes it to the bench).

I don't think anyone is disputing this. The club is clearly making moves to rectify your problem, I don't know why you won't believe that.

If we are really wanting these players such as Vidal or Di Maria who have been available for a good few weeks or more now at a premium price admittedly, we have to pay it and stop pussyfooting around it because we all know that we'll end up with none of them in the end.

There's no indication that this isn't what is happening. You're the clear favourites to sign Di Maria at this point and Vidal is a little complicated (due to Juve's reluctance to sell, his injury, agents etc etc). I know you guys got shafted last summer with your signings, but I would be absolutely shocked if the same happens again this year.

Back