The Manchester United Thread

I dunno, there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the running for Vidal, if we actually manage to pull it off, think of the statement we'll be delivering.. Signing the best midfielder in the world inspite of no CL. But then again, screwups may happen, and we could end up getting Guarin or Song :\

I would really dislike it if we got Song, although he is better at what he does than the rest of our CM, he definitely is on a decline after his time at Barca..

(As unlikely as it is) if you've made all this noise about signing the likes of Kroos, Fabregas and Vidal, and end up with Guarin, it will be hilarious.

(As unlikely as it is) if you've made all this noise about signing the likes of Kroos, Fabregas and Vidal, and end up with Guarin, it will be hilarious.

Uh-huh. Hope we don't do it :\ Rojo and Vidal would still be a brilliant window, if you already add Shaw and Herrera to it. Maybe not the best - the best would be legendary window of Hummels, Vidal and di Maria, but ****, I'll take this anyday! Don't really mind us not getting Cuadrado, if we manage to strengthen CB/CM.

Uh-huh. Hope we don't do it :\ Rojo and Vidal would still be a brilliant window, if you already add Shaw and Herrera to it. Maybe not the best - the best would be legendary window of Hummels, Vidal and di Maria, but ****, I'll take this anyday! Don't really mind us not getting Cuadrado, if we manage to strengthen CB/CM.

I do think you'll get Di Maria: PSG have pulled out, his spot is basically taken at Real and no one else seems to be in for him. Rojo, Vidal, Herrera and Di Maria would be a fantastic window.

I do think you'll get Di Maria: PSG have pulled out, his spot is basically taken at Real and no one else seems to be in for him. Rojo, Vidal, Herrera and Di Maria would be a fantastic window.

Lol, di Maria's stumbling block is the wages. His wages and the fee made ****** PSG pull out (although they were afoul of FFP anyhow). Don't think di Maria's gonna happen, that's why we were trying for Cuadrado. I'm wondering if we're gonna try for Depay..

Lol, di Maria's stumbling block is the wages. His wages and the fee made ****** PSG pull out (although they were afoul of FFP anyhow). Don't think di Maria's gonna happen, that's why we were trying for Cuadrado. I'm wondering if we're gonna try for Depay..

Ah, I didn't see that. I saw them say they couldn't afford him, but I assumed that was due to FFP.

Di Maria wants insane wages and Ancelloti absolutely loves him .... I know what Ancelloti thinks counts for little in the world of Madrid but considering he is the coach who delivered La Decima, Who knows?

I've heard what he says, but the time to get transfers in is before the season starts, before we are at risk of dropping points, we don't know how valuable each point could be in the end of the season do we?

Plus if we got them in sooner rather than later it would give us more time to have a settled squad, rather than a paper thin one reliant on last seasons failures who have looked good (Young) or semi-good (Cleverley) in pre season.

We've lost 3 key players arguably 4 if you count carrick and only brought 2 players in... please do the maths and realise we badly need a signing or two at very least.

At the risk of dropping points, are you serious?

Have you seen the teams we are playing first? They are teams we should be beating without new signings. You are pinning far too much on the new signings. They are not going to carry the entire side.

Not one person has said we don't need new signings, so why would i need to do the maths, have you bothered to read my posts?

Again we are neither on reliant on Young nor Cleverley. Stop making things up. Not is the squad paper thin.

More to the point, if the failures of last season are better players this season, where is the problem?

Ah, I didn't see that. I saw them say they couldn't afford him, but I assumed that was due to FFP.

For both reasons, they have to offload to get him. But he was also asking crazy money.

I don't think anyone is disputing this. The club is clearly making moves to rectify your problem, I don't know why you won't believe that.

There's no indication that this isn't what is happening. You're the clear favourites to sign Di Maria at this point and Vidal is a little complicated (due to Juve's reluctance to sell, his injury, agents etc etc). I know you guys got shafted last summer with your signings, but I would be absolutely shocked if the same happens again this year.

Because he thinks transfers happen like in football manager. last year he complained that we made all our moves public. Now he complains that the club keeps quiet. Doesn't know what he wants.

A team that I feel is ready and competent to give us the best chance of going into the start of a pivotal season, where anything outside top 4 is a failure and is going to effect the club big time.

At the moment we've lost all the main experience in defence and are relying on 2 totally unproven youth players in defence as backup. Midfield is reliant on Fletcher staying injury free or else we're screwed and we have to rely on the failures of last season again.. Cleverley.... even worse... Fellaini.... even worse again... Anderson. (If he makes it to the bench).

If we are really wanting these players such as Vidal or Di Maria who have been available for a good few weeks or more now at a premium price admittedly, we have to pay it and stop pussyfooting around it because we all know that we'll end up with none of them in the end.

But what you want, and what LVG wants are different things entirely. He's been very clear on it from the the start. This is no shock. He wasnt bothered about players not arriving for the first game, because he expects the side to perform better under him than Moyes.

I mean you do realise that was going to even more important than 3-4 new signings, that the remaining players, played at the level they should be.

Last edited:
Lot of rumors about Rojo to ManUtd.

Haven't watched him at all and knows **** all about him. He had a good world cup but lot of Portuguese journos and watchers don't rate him that highly including DMF. Now that's a concern.

Betfair have put this poster up in Manchester, I like it :p
1407754715127_wps_14_Manchester_United_have_we.jpg

At the risk of dropping points, are you serious?

Have you seen the teams we are playing first? They are teams we should be beating without new signings. You are pinning far too much on the new signings. They are not going to carry the entire side.

Not one person has said we don't need new signings, so why would i need to do the maths, have you bothered to read my posts?

Again we are neither on reliant on Young nor Cleverley. Stop making things up. Not is the squad paper thin.

More to the point, if the failures of last season are better players this season, where is the problem?

How aren't our options really limited? Look at the defence.... in a 3 CB formation we only have 2 as backup who are Blackett and Keane. The main 3 Evans, Jones and Smalling (the latter 2 are susceptible to injuries), so how is this not a paper thin defence? Especially with this system. It's hardly ideal to know 2 of your 4 wing-back options are Valencia and Young either.

If we revert to a 4 back system, you then have the issue of 1 LB in Shaw, his first season and he's suddenly going to need to play virtually every game from the start as we have no backup there whatsoever, unless you count another totally unproven youth player... Reece James. Same applies to RB really, we only have Rafael there who is a naturally good RB.

Going to the Central Midfield.... it's just horrid... virtually every pairing you can give is an unbalanced one apart from Fletcher/Carrick with Herrera possibly, wouldn't want to even think about playing Cleverley/ Anderson or Fellaini as a major role this season, or ever for that matter, they are poor choices as back up if you ask me. We really do lack something here though, a physical/aggressive ball-winning/defensive type midfielder.

Also we have no great wingers so therefore 4-3-3 isn't possible, even LVG admitted this.

Not only are we lacking in key areas - CB, CM and winger/ natural-wing back in particular (we want the option to be able to effectively change systems), we also have a lack of balance with the players we have at the moment. LVG has admitted all this as well.

Maybe you are being overly optimistic about our opening games, because in my mind we will be playing teams who have more of a balance to their squad than we do.

How aren't our options really limited? Look at the defence.... in a 3 CB formation we only have 2 as backup who are Blackett and Keane. The main 3 Evans, Jones and Smalling (the latter 2 are susceptible to injuries), so how is this not a paper thin defence? Especially with this system. It's hardly ideal to know 2 of your 4 wing-back options are Valencia and Young either.

If we revert to a 4 back system, you then have the issue of 1 LB in Shaw, his first season and he's suddenly going to need to play virtually every game from the start as we have no backup there whatsoever, unless you count another totally unproven youth player... Reece James. Same applies to RB really, we only have Rafael there who is a naturally good RB.

Going to the Central Midfield.... it's just horrid... virtually every pairing you can give is an unbalanced one apart from Fletcher/Carrick with Herrera possibly, wouldn't want to even think about playing Cleverley/ Anderson or Fellaini as a major role this season, or ever for that matter, they are poor choices as back up if you ask me. We really do lack something here though, a physical/aggressive ball-winning/defensive type midfielder.

Also we have no great wingers so therefore 4-3-3 isn't possible, even LVG admitted this.

Not only are we lacking in key areas - CB, CM and winger/ natural-wing back in particular (we want the option to be able to effectively change systems), we also have a lack of balance with the players we have at the moment. LVG has admitted all this as well.

Maybe you are being overly optimistic about our opening games, because in my mind we will be playing teams who have more of a balance to their squad than we do.

If the two young CBs are good enough, its not paper thing. It lacks quality at the top end, which not a problem in the majority of games, it is in Europe where we are not playing, and against 3/4 of the 19 teams we will play.

If Valencia and Young are playing well as wingbacks, then its not an issue.

We wont be reverting to a back 4 unless we get another full back, its why we are playing 3 at the back in the first place

Also not true that every pairing is unbalanced. Carrick and Fletcher have the defensive role. Herrera Kagawa Cleverly have the offensive ones. And Fletcher is exactly that aggressive player.

Yes we know the wingers arent good enough for 4-3-3, that's why we are playing 3 at the back.

We have a lack of balance between wingers and 10s, which is why we are playing 3-4-1-2.

Take a look at our opening fixtures vs how we are set up. If we cant take the majority of them without 3 new signings then we wouldnt be getting into the CL with them anyway.

Obviously you did not see Valencia and Young on tour then coz they were good and Young was player of the tour at WB LVG has give them the confidence back and its working wonders for a lot of the players. So we have atm 5 CBs to play 3 positions with half the amount of games, maybe more if we sign. Don't sound thin to me. All our midfields can do a job this season with our lack of games even the like of Cleverly/Fellaini and again we have 7 CMs to play 2 positions once again don't sound thin to me and we could still buy! We have players that can do a job if we change to 433 we possible 6 players who can play wide plus LVG has said he likes Di Maria and sounds like we are persuing him, no problem there im afraid. Nothing to complain about really LIKE ALL OF US HAVE SAID A MILLION TIMES WINDOW HAS NOT CLOSED YET AND THER FORE NO NEED TO COMPLAIN!

Take a look at our opening fixtures vs how we are set up. If we cant take the majority of them without 3 new signings then we wouldnt be getting into the CL with them anyway.

We can hardly get carried away by pre-season.... Blackett wasn't exactly much good last season at Birmingham. Young and Valencia never have any consistency last few seasons, which is what PL is about.

But they don't just have to be squad signings, they have to be signings which will make the difference and get into the first team straight away if you ask me... Benatia/Cuadrado/Di Maria/Vidal would change our fortunes completely around. Problem is we've consistently bought players who haven't fulfilled to their potential, now we need some with instant impact.

With the current first team 11 and backup options, I still think top 4 is going to be a real struggle.

We can hardly get carried away by pre-season.... Blackett wasn't exactly much good last season at Birmingham. Young and Valencia never have any consistency last few seasons, which is what PL is about.

But they don't just have to be squad signings, they have to be signings which will make the difference and get into the first team straight away if you ask me... Benatia/Cuadrado/Di Maria/Vidal would change our fortunes completely around. Problem is we've consistently bought players who haven't fulfilled to their potential, now we need some with instant impact.

With the current first team 11 and backup options, I still think top 4 is going to be a real struggle.

You need to stop thinking its going to be a fantasy window. It's far more important that LVG raises the whole level of the entire squad again. That's the most important thing, then you add quality on top of that.

Get the team playing the right way first, then add to it.

Back