The Manchester United Thread

I swear your optimism is something to behold, sure we all thought the same last summer as well, won't make them until after the tour, after the first game, after the second game, in the last week of the window.... next January.

Different season, different manager. Nothing to do with optimism. Although I can see why you think that with your mindnumbingly depressive outlook. Do you really think its that easy for anyone of these players to fall into our laps.

Vidal and Juve are playing a game of "who says leave first"

Di Maria is too expensive for PSG. PSG!

Benatia: something's happening, but to who? We'll see.

Cuadrado: ditto.

Blind: for all we know, he is a plan B.

Rojo: ditto (see cuadrado)

Last summer was frustrating - we were losing against pub-standard teams and we did not play like we have a clue in the games. We were linked to few players and declared our interests publicly, and ended up with a mophead. This summer isn't even comparable to the last - we looked brilliant in our pre-season and our players were enjoying themselves. We had a new manager that gets us play some exciting football that we haven't seen in the past few seasons (yes, even when SAF was here) instead of some Moyes' hoofball special.

I said quite awhile back that I would be happy if we have no more signings going into the new season, and my opinion is still unchanged. I had actually never been so excited going into a new season before!

Even without more signings I'm actually pretty happy. I'm actually happier now than when we went in for the title winning season two years ago.

Even without more signings I'm actually pretty happy. I'm actually happier now than when we went in for the title winning season two years ago.
Exactly. I'm actually loving what LVG is doing and how the whole squad looks so motivated as well as the football that we are playing. The last time I was this excited going into a new season was when we had still Tevez and Ronaldo!

United fans expectations have dropped so much - I think there is an acceptance amongst many that we are too far behind Chelsea and City to even rival their squads anymore. Same goes with the rest of Europe's elite. Soon Arsenal as well.

How can anyone be happy with the state of this current squad... apart from the attacking options.

Exactly. I'm actually loving what LVG is doing and how the whole squad looks so motivated as well as the football that we are playing. The last time I was this excited going into a new season was when we had still Tevez and Ronaldo!

Yep. I dont think we have enough for a title, but i think we can play better football than we have in a long time and certainly go close.

let's see what the next two - three weeks bring.

Also if what LVG said is right even if we signed Vidal,Benatia,Di mari and Hummels they would of not played the 1st 3-4 games anyways.

United fans expectations have dropped so much - I think there is an acceptance amongst many that we are too far behind Chelsea and City to even rival their squads anymore. Same goes with the rest of Europe's elite. Soon Arsenal as well.

How can anyone be happy with the state of this current squad... apart from the attacking options.

So because we dont agree with you, it means our expectations have dropped so much. Ridiculous.

Chelsea have Torres,Salah,Mikel,Scwarzer,Cahill,Ginkel,Zouma,Ake,Hilario,Baker. City have Sagna,Fernando,Demichellis,Richerds,Milner,Sinclair,Boyata,Garcia,Wright. Hardly top class players that put us miles behind!

Chelsea have Torres,Salah,Mikel,Scwarzer,Cahill,Ginkel,Zouma,Ake,Hilario,Baker. City have Sagna,Fernando,Demichellis,Richerds,Milner,Sinclair,Boyata,Garcia,Wright. Hardly top class players that put us miles behind!

Why did you just state them players in specific? The ones who would probably all make their B teams mostly lol.

You said were miles behind them clubs obviously not squad wise or 1st 11 wise.

Erm... our 1st 11 is miles behind both City and Chelsea (both defence and midfield in particular), am I looking at different squads here? I'm confused how you're so optimistic, Moyes may of been bad but he was given a really bad hand, LVG may make some of these players better but he isn't a magician to make us into world beaters if we don't buy quality.

I'm sorry, but while I understand where you are coming from in regards to not having made enough signings etc, that statement that United fans expectations have dropped is the biggest load of **** you have come out with and frankly quite insulting. We may not have a title winning squad right now but it is better than Liverpool and Arsenal squad from last season. Just because pretty much no one agrees with your panicky opinions about the transfer situation doesn't mean that our expectations have dropped. It is called being realistic.

Sorry did not realise RVP,ROONEY,MATA,JANUZAJ,KAGAWA,CARRICK,HERRERA,JONES,SMALLING,SHAW puts us miles behind tbh. Anyway if Neville says we have a good squad and our front 4 is the best in the league as a pool that's good enough for me.

Erm... our 1st 11 is miles behind both City and Chelsea (both defence and midfield in particular), am I looking at different squads here? I'm confused how you're so optimistic, Moyes may of been bad but he was given a really bad hand, LVG may make some of these players better but he isn't a magician to make us into world beaters if we don't buy quality.

Except that's exactly what he is. Turning potential into quality, and pulling consistent quality from the very best. It's why he likes working with young players.

I'm sorry, but while I understand where you are coming from in regards to not having made enough signings etc, that statement that United fans expectations have dropped is the biggest load of **** you have come out with and frankly quite insulting. We may not have a title winning squad right now but it is better than Liverpool and Arsenal squad from last season. Just because pretty much no one agrees with your panicky opinions about the transfer situation doesn't mean that our expectations have dropped. It is called being realistic.

You're now the 2nd person to make this comparison with Liverpool and Arsenal but it simply isn't true, their midfield and defence has a fear greater balance to it than ours did. (Talking about Arsenal in particular).

Liverpool had arguably best player in the world mixed with some highly talented young players and a manager who has a vision. All the rest played out of their skin pretty much.

It really isn't, United fans expectations are definitely lower now, it's noticable, especially since Moyes has joined and even if you look on twitter alone (Yes I know but it's where a lot of fans can be seen) it shows. Perhaps not here because everyone seems to be optimistic because we have a manager with a magic wand and a broomstick.

You're now the 2nd person to make this comparison with Liverpool and Arsenal but it simply isn't true, their midfield and defence has a fear greater balance to it than ours did. (Talking about Arsenal in particular).

Liverpool had arguably best player in the world mixed with some highly talented young players and a manager who has a vision. All the rest played out of their skin pretty much.

It really isn't, United fans expectations are definitely lower now, it's noticable, especially since Moyes has joined and even if you look on twitter alone (Yes I know but it's where a lot of fans can be seen) it shows. Perhaps not here because everyone seems to be optimistic because we have a manager with a magic wand and a broomstick.

Liverpool had their best season ever in the PL while we had our worst.

Arsenal for a team with better balance, find it pretty hard beating us. And they only count for 4 games. not 38

Heres there thing. United typically do decent when against the big sides. It's the rest of the league we wipe the floor with when we win titles. So prattling on about Liverpool and Arsenal is less relevant.

Back