The Manchester United Thread

You're starting to see why any deal with Vidal is horribly complicated.

Let's also remember Vidal and Juve are seemingly playing a game of who decides to say vidal should go first. Neither wants to be the one to say it.

Club IS chasing Di Maria, but right now he is horribly expensive, as in £50m plus 260k a week expensive

Well, if we do sign Vidal, I reckon we should go for Depay over di Maria. Depay may not be WC atm, but he can be, and van Gaal can definitely mould him to be so. Thing is, rumours suggest LvG wants Depay to stay back in Netherlands for one more season before moving, while Depay wants a move now;;

The only reason I suggest so is because of price. If we're already paying so much for Vidal, buying di Maria with his exorbitant wages could cause problems to FFP. And Cuadrado clearly is angling a move for Barca, who again, are reluctant to fork out crazy money demanded by Fiorentia.

Vidal, Blind and Depay could be good..? We have the CM for a 4-3-3 if that is so, Fletcher the enforcer, Vidal as BTB and Herrera for playmaking, although would exclude Mata, and possibly one of Rooney or RvP from that lineup. But then again, we don't have quality in width to use that formation, although if Depay is brought, maybe Januzaj and Depay?

You're starting to see why any deal with Vidal is horribly complicated.

Let's also remember Vidal and Juve are seemingly playing a game of who decides to say vidal should go first. Neither wants to be the one to say it.

Club IS chasing Di Maria, but right now he is horribly expensive, as in £50m plus 260k a week expensive

I don't understand Vidal though, he either wants to come or he doesn't, there has to be some help from his side of things to make this happen, I don't think he really does if he won't just tell Juventus in private he wants to leave.

Di Maria is a whole different kettle o'fish, I think he'd be an exceptional signing because he offers us to utilize between systems, but if Real Madrid really did want to sell, there should be a better price of £50m.

I'd honestly look into the option of Khedira more, think he's really good and reckon he'd be a nice player alongside Herrera and great to boost our midfield. He looked well miserable on the bench in Super Cup, surely he is gettable. We know wages is an issue there as well, but top players demand top wages. Khedira and Di Maria are top players.

Well to be fair we don't have much time, it's hard, there has to be some realisation though that Hernandez and Nani are worth a fair amount though, plenty of clubs have shown interest in Chicharito so we'd get at least decent amount for him.

Vidal for £36m and no players is more realistic. Maybe give them Nani on loan with a future buy fee.

It's hard though, we're in a bad situation, so I suppose we don't have much choice if we're going to strengthen this window, which we really should do.

Aye, the club arent stupid, they need to make signings. They also still have a responsibility to go through deals properly. Now you see why they are linked to various levels of players. Blind is most likely a plan B. We can afford him, he is open to a move. I actually suspect he will be bought regardless, probably next season. he's a perfect replacement for Carrick

I don't understand Vidal though, he either wants to come or he doesn't, there has to be some help from his side of things to make this happen, I don't think he really does if he won't just tell Juventus in private he wants to leave.

Di Maria is a whole different kettle o'fish, I think he'd be an exceptional signing because he offers us to utilize between systems, but if Real Madrid really did want to sell, there should be a better price of £50m.

I'd honestly look into the option of Khedira more, think he's really good and reckon he'd be a nice player alongside Herrera and great to boost our midfield. He looked well miserable on the bench in Super Cup, surely he is gettable. We know wages is an issue there as well, but top players demand top wages. Khedira and Di Maria are top players.

It's all about how it looks. Neither wants to be the bad guy. Big transfers between big teams rarely happen unless one of the selling team or player is openly saying the player has to go.

I like Khedira, but his wages are crazy, like £125,000 crazy. It's also about to be a bidding war with Arsenal and Chelsea, could cost as much as Vidal anyway

Di Maria: the club thinks they could well be beaten by PSG anyway, they are pessimistic about getting him. They dont believe PSG have pulled out like they have publicly said.

Last edited:
All answers of course assume the 36m plus 2 players thing is true.

Well, if we do sign Vidal, I reckon we should go for Depay over di Maria. Depay may not be WC atm, but he can be, and van Gaal can definitely mould him to be so. Thing is, rumours suggest LvG wants Depay to stay back in Netherlands for one more season before moving, while Depay wants a move now;;

The only reason I suggest so is because of price. If we're already paying so much for Vidal, buying di Maria with his exorbitant wages could cause problems to FFP. And Cuadrado clearly is angling a move for Barca, who again, are reluctant to fork out crazy money demanded by Fiorentia.

Vidal, Blind and Depay could be good..? We have the CM for a 4-3-3 if that is so, Fletcher the enforcer, Vidal as BTB and Herrera for playmaking, although would exclude Mata, and possibly one of Rooney or RvP from that lineup. But then again, we don't have quality in width to use that formation, although if Depay is brought, maybe Januzaj and Depay?

Depay isnt quite ready. Ideally if we could afford, I'd buy him and loan him back for a season

Depay isnt quite ready. Ideally if we could afford, I'd buy him and loan him back for a season

Considering our healthy financial situation, I'm pretty sure we could do that. May also reduce the price slightly, if that were to happen. And then, LvG can make final transfers to play formation he wants next season, w/o worrying about where to fit Depay in. But then again, Depay might not be open to that.

Also, remember, Ronaldo wasn't quite ready when he made a move to us. Still a raw, unpolished youngster with unbelievable talent. (I'm not at all comparing Ronaldo to Depay, because there is literally noone I rate more than CR7.) But the point is, Depay just has to polish his game up a bit, he has the strength, pace and dribbling to be a success in the League. As long as it happens the Ronaldo way instead of the Nani way (I always thought he'd rediscover his form of yore, but sadly that doesn't seem likely to happen.

These are the players I think we should get who I think are realistic as well...

Blind (I take Mikes point but I think we may need to utilise him right now, as we're struggling for depth in numerous areas, rather than next season, our injuries are already piling up).

Cuadrado or Di Maria - Would give us great options not only in positions they cover, but in utilizing perhaps 4-3-3 or other formations. Which could be possible when Shaw came back if we bought Blind he could be a part of the 3 man midfield with Carrick/Fletcher/Cleverley/Fellaini and Herrera.

Benatia - Someone who seems relatively quiet in relation to United, which I am really surprised about, Roma seem open to letting him go and he is an experienced but great as well CB who has had experienced playing in 3 and 4 back formations.

If we got these three.... it would be fantastic window. But obviously it's hard to see it happening as time continues to pass.

Cuadrado/di Maria - crazy money on both deals. Doubt it happening, but Cuadrado seems more likely than di Maria, if the club so wishes to go through with it.

Benatia - Apparently has given out a statement stating he wants to stay back at Roma. Means nothing in today's scenario, but still, food for thought. Means we have a CB as our priority than a winger.

I'd still think Vidal + Blind is more realistic. I still feel we should go for Depay, we haven't had a brilliant performance from an out and out winger in ages..!

These are the players I think we should get who I think are realistic as well...

Blind (I take Mikes point but I think we may need to utilise him right now, as we're struggling for depth in numerous areas, rather than next season, our injuries are already piling up).

Cuadrado or Di Maria - Would give us great options not only in positions they cover, but in utilizing perhaps 4-3-3 or other formations. Which could be possible when Shaw came back if we bought Blind he could be a part of the 3 man midfield with Carrick/Fletcher/Cleverley/Fellaini and Herrera.

Benatia - Someone who seems relatively quiet in relation to United, which I am really surprised about, Roma seem open to letting him go and he is an experienced but great as well CB who has had experienced playing in 3 and 4 back formations.

If we got these three.... it would be fantastic window. But obviously it's hard to see it happening as time continues to pass.

For me its simple. The club need to have a cut off point for Vidal to make sure they can get a player like Blind. I think we need to accept the loss on Hernandez and Nani, we already know that Nani is out of favour for sure.

We also ideally must come back with either Cuadrado or Di Maria

Rojo is being worked on

Benatia is the odd one, the most likely of the big deals, one we have definitely shown interest in, and yet the quietest of the low.

It's all a case of wait and see.

We also need to consider there are supposed to be a number of outs. If they are linked, could be very complicated

Well to be fair we don't have much time, it's hard, there has to be some realisation though that Hernandez and Nani are worth a fair amount though, plenty of clubs have shown interest in Chicharito so we'd get at least decent amount for him.

Vidal for £36m and no players is more realistic. Maybe give them Nani on loan with a future buy fee.

It's hard though, we're in a bad situation, so I suppose we don't have much choice if we're going to strengthen this window, which we really should do.
How is £36m for Vidal realistic? That is just slightly more than Mangala, who is nowhere near Vidal in terms of class and quality albeit playing in different positions. Sometimes you have to look at what's happening around you this summer and then set your expectations, not according to what happened in the past. In a window where Luiz was sold for £50m, James for £65m, Lallana for £25m, Shaw for £28m and even Shane fecking Long is now close to a £12m pound deal, you can't really expect Vidal to be bought with a "reasonable" price.

Not when Juventus is not really desperate to sell him, Vidal had not come out to say that he wants to leave and the length of his contract isn't even an issue.

I understand that buying players are important, but getting rid of players are equally important, and we have yet to do that. Flogging 2 players that we no longer need in a deal that gets us Vidal is basically killing three birds with one stone. And I doubt there would be clubs willing to buy Nani and Hernandez from us at this stage of the transfer window for a good price.

Time is running out, and we have to get things done as soon as possible instead of trying to save a few millions here and there. We are a club strong enough financially to simply ignore the few million losses made, and if Vidal got us a top 4 spot we would have more than recouped all of the losses made. The window is closing in 2 weeks, this is not the time to be penny wise pound foolish.

How is £36m for Vidal realistic? That is just slightly more than Mangala, who is nowhere near Vidal in terms of class and quality albeit playing in different positions. Sometimes you have to look at what's happening around you this summer and then set your expectations, not according to what happened in the past. In a window where Luiz was sold for £50m, James for £65m, Lallana for £25m, Shaw for £28m and even Shane fecking Long is now close to a £12m pound deal, you can't really expect Vidal to be bought with a "reasonable" price.

Not when Juventus is not really desperate to sell him, Vidal had not come out to say that he wants to leave and the length of his contract isn't even an issue.

If this move is to happen Vidal will have to let Juventus know clearly soon, we all know Juventus aren't in the best position financially either.

Although I see your point, maybe giving them Nani and £36m is more realistic, but not Chicharito on top of that, we could get a decent amount for him if we wanted, clubs have shown interest.

I understand that buying players are important, but getting rid of players are equally important, and we have yet to do that. Flogging 2 players that we no longer need in a deal that gets us Vidal is basically killing three birds with one stone. And I doubt there would be clubs willing to buy Nani and Hernandez from us at this stage of the transfer window for a good price.

Time is running out, and we have to get things done as soon as possible instead of trying to save a few millions here and there. We are a club strong enough financially to simply ignore the few million losses made, and if Vidal got us a top 4 spot we would have more than recouped all of the losses made. The window is closing in 2 weeks, this is not the time to be penny wise pound foolish.

If this move is to happen Vidal will have to let Juventus know clearly soon, we all know Juventus aren't in the best position financially either.

Although I see your point, maybe giving them Nani and £36m is more realistic, but not Chicharito on top of that, we could get a decent amount for him if we wanted, clubs have shown interest.

You both have very valid points. and I suspect the club have the same problem. We can all agree though that decisions need to be made one way or another. Let's hope they are done in time for the end of the window.

I guess it all depends on how you're looking at it. On the surface, it's a bad deal if you have the time and patience to sell the players on their own. Swap deals almost always are. However, if you think of it as being 2 players you don't need + cash for one of the best midfielders in the world, the idea becomes a lot more attractive.

I guess it all depends on how you're looking at it. On the surface, it's a bad deal if you have the time and patience to sell the players on their own. Swap deals almost always are. However, if you think of it as being 2 players you don't need + cash for one of the best midfielders in the world, the idea becomes a lot more attractive.

I wouldn't mind the deal at all. Rumors that we were ready to sell Nani for around 10 Million Euros and as good as Hernandez is when you are 4th choice and not getting enough games then it's hard to to get good fee. IMO they are worth around 25 to 30 Million Euros combined considering all the factors. That takes the deal to 75 Million euro which is 60 Million pounds.

On the other hand you can look it as, 36 Million pounds plus a player who has no position in the system (Nani) and a player where we have super depth and fantastic prospects (Welbeck, Wilson, Januzaj can play that role) doesn't look bad at all.

Edit: Not to forget we will save around 160K in wages for players not needed this season.

No wonder Sporting don't want to sell Rojo for anything less than his supposed release clause.

On top the Doyen owning 75% of his rights, they also have to pay 20% for any deal above 4M to Spartak.

I think United will start strong. A good pre-season and a favourable start to the season.

Back