The Manchester United Thread

Less than 2 weeks to sign a CM, CB and a LB cover. Again can't blame CBs for the lack of cover from the midfield and every wingback getting injured at the same time. I'm not really worried if we don't sign a CB but a midfielder who is good defensively is a MUST. Fletcher was very poor against Swansea, we need a very good CM/DM who is good defensively so that Herrera can play #8 role rather than #6. Should have sign Carvalho long time back, would have been superb signing to play alongside Herrera.

Re all these talk of Benatia, tbh I don't see it happening. At max we will sign Rojo and one CM that's it.

If we can sign Di Maria then it would be brilliant. His pace, directness, flair means he can push opposition to back foot easily. Van Gaal wants to play his best players in their position so Mata, RVP and Rooney will play which means hopefully we start playing Diamond formation if we can sign Di Maria. Which is also sort of 4-2-2-2 when Di Maria pushes higher up.
De Gea

Rafael Jones Smalling/Evans Shaw

Carrick

Herrera Di Maria

Mata

Rooney RVP

This is the team I would love to see week in week out. Lack of width is not really a problem as Di Maria can easily move our wide to play as LW or RW.

Less than 2 weeks to sign a CM, CB and a LB cover. Again can't blame CBs for the lack of cover from the midfield and every wingback getting injured at the same time. I'm not really worried if we don't sign a CB but a midfielder who is good defensively is a MUST. Fletcher was very poor against Swansea, we need a very good CM/DM who is good defensively so that Herrera can play #8 role rather than #6. Should have sign Carvalho long time back, would have been superb signing to play alongside Herrera. Re all these talk of Benatia, tbh I don't see it happening. At max we will sign Rojo and one CM that's it. If we can sign Di Maria then it would be brilliant. His pace, directness, flair means he can push opposition to back foot easily. Van Gaal wants to play his best players in their position so Mata, RVP and Rooney will play which means hopefully we start playing Diamond formation if we can sign Di Maria. Which is also sort of 4-2-2-2 when Di Maria pushes higher up.
De GeaRafael Jones Smalling/Evans ShawCarrick Herrera Di MariaMataRooney RVP​
This is the team I would love to see week in week out. Lack of width is not really a problem as Di Maria can easily move our wide to play as LW or RW.
you must be reading my mind. Funny enough I've been wondering if we could use this formation considering our over bloated midfield. Would also help to hide some of our weaknesses. Remember Fergie used it sometimes and the football we played with it was beautiful.

you must be reading my mind. Funny enough I've been wondering if we could use this formation considering our over bloated midfield. Would also help to hide some of our weaknesses. Remember Fergie used it sometimes and the football we played with it was beautiful.

I remember Fergie playing Diamond formation against Newcastle away in his last season with Carrick as DM, Cleverley and Kagawa as CMs and Rooney as AM and it worked superbly. Shame he didn't try it again.

[h=1]Manchester United close in on signing Marcos Rojo from Sporting Lisbon[/h]• Argentina defender valued at £16m plus Nani
• Louis van Gaal keen to strengthen left side

• Share8

• in[COLOR=#333333 !important]Share
[/COLOR]

Soccer---Marcos-Rojo-File-006.jpg
The Sporting defender, Marcos Rojo, played a key role in Argentina’s run to the final of the World Cup in Brazil this summer. Photograph: Mike Egerton/PA

Manchester United believe a deal to land Marcos Rojo is close, with whether Nani should go on loan to Sporting Lisbon in addition to a £16m fee the final detail to be decided.
Club sources are characterising the move for the Argentinean as “very complex”. Yet once an agreement can be reached regarding if Nani should move to Sporting on a temporary basis – probably for a season – there is confidence at Old Trafford Rojo will become a United player and so strengthen an area of Louis van Gaal’s squad that is particularly weak.
As first reported last week by the Guardian the manager wants Rojo as he is a left-side defender who can play at centre-back and left-back.
Given Van Gaal’s favoured 3-5-2 system the Dutchman requires at least one left-sided defender. Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans, his three recognised first-team players in the position, are all predominantly right-sided.
If Nani does go to Sporting it will mark a return to the club he played two seasons for until 2007 before he moved to United. Despite flashes of brilliance the Portugal winger has failed to consistently deliver for the 20-times champions.
Rojo apologised on Sunday after refusing to train in an effort to push through the move. “I was hot-headed and I’m sorry. I’ll be back with the rest of the squad tomorrow,” he said.
“Sporting signed me when I was not at my best and gave me the opportunity to play for a big club in Europe. I would like to thank the trust they had in me and I will resume training on Monday.”

Apparently Mehdi Benatia has not turned up for Roma training, at the moment there is no reason why... apparently he isn't injured either.

Apparently Mehdi Benatia has not turned up for Roma training, at the moment there is no reason why... apparently he isn't injured either.

Tbh, I'm not sure it will happen. Hummels is very two footed, Vermaelen and Rojo both left footed and can even cover LB. Benatia on the other hand has a decent left foot but is mostly right footed. Evans is more two footed than him.

Tbh, I'm not sure it will happen. Hummels is very two footed, Vermaelen and Rojo both left footed and can even cover LB. Benatia on the other hand has a decent left foot but is mostly right footed. Evans is more two footed than him.

Rojo still has decent chance of happening. There are rumours that we're tabling a crazy offer for di Maria, only question is, is it worth it? Touted at 100 Million, including wages, I believe..

Yeh but Benatia is a step ahead of all of them, he could quite easily fulfill any of them 3 roles at the back if you ask me, admittedly the Left sided of the 3 will be his most uncomfortable, but that's probably an over-statement because he's class with the ball.

He has experience using a system like this with 3 at the back as well. Not saying it's going to happen, but **** I really want it to.

I'm guessing Strootman is a primary target for LvG, but I'd much rather we go for Vidal. Based on atleast what noises and finances indicate, Vidal has more chance of happening than Strootman. Roma want crazy money for him, and they have no need to sell. Vidal, although unrealistic, seems more 'gettable' than Strootman.

Vidal saga definitely seems to be the new Sneijder situation, based on what all has been rumbling all summer..

I'm sure we won't be signing Benatia. Even City couldn't agree fee with Roma for him and I'm not sure we can.

Absolutely top class CB and would take our defense to next level easily.

Rojo still has decent chance of happening. There are rumours that we're tabling a crazy offer for di Maria, only question is, is it worth it? Touted at 100 Million, including wages, I believe..

Euros or pounds?

Di Maria ain't worth more than Özil were last year, so if we want to buy him we should aim for same price range.

Di Maria ain't worth more than Özil were last year, so if we want to buy him we should aim for same price range.

Actually, considering his performances last season, di Maria would definitely be worth more than Ozil.. His versatility and work rate is definitely better than Ozil, even if you could equate performances.

Di Maria is excellent player. Not that I agree with the sentiment that Ozil is a big game bottler but Di Maria is way way better in big games than Ozil. His work rate, versatility is an asset to any team.

Sevilla signed Ever Banega for 2 Million, his career went downhill so quickly.

Back