The Manchester United Thread

My new article, please give it a read and leave your opinions on the site. Don't tell me there's no value in the transfer market!

Di Marzio also saying now that Benatia and Roma's extension "appears to be a formality". Says his agent met with Bayern but no agreement was made and no Bayern haven't made an offer. Roma have received no offers, according to him.

My new article, please give it a read and leave your opinions on the site. Don't tell me there's no value in the transfer market!

Di Marzio also saying now that Benatia and Roma's extension "appears to be a formality". Says his agent met with Bayern but no agreement was made and no Bayern haven't made an offer. Roma have received no offers, according to him.

Great article... it's quite clear the club is full of excuses and has been for a while.

My highlight of the article was: -

This summer alone we have seen some excellent deals take place. Cesc Fabregas, who Manchester United made a £40M bid for last summer, signed for rivals Chelsea in a £30M move (explain that one?). Ivan Rakitic replaced him at Barcelona from Sevilla, signing for £15M. Defensive midfielder Fernando left Porto and signed for Manchester City for just £12M while World Cup winner Toni Kroos signed for Real Madrid for £20M. Every single one of those players would have given Manchester United something they desperately need – A top class central midfielder.
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/292/files/2014/08/Yaya-Toure-Barca1.jpgCredit: zimbio.com

Going further back (and into other positions), players such as Yaya Toure, Raphael Varane, Thiago, Luka Modric (twice), Arturo Vidal (yes, him!), Nemanja Matic have all gone for nominal fees while Manchester United have persisted with a mediocre midfield. To sum up United’s mediocrity in recent transfer windows, lets remember that Sir Alex Ferguson replaced Cristiano Ronaldo with Antonio Valencia and Carlos Tevez with free agent Michael Owen. This in the same summer that players such as Karim Benzema, Xabi Alonso, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Kaka all left their clubs and went to La Liga.
Last summer Manchester United went about their transfers in an amateur fashion, publicly chasing Leighton Baines and Cesc Fabregas. David Moyes claimed in an interview on Sunday that the club tried to sign Fabregas, Bale and Ronaldo last summer. The fact the club ended up paying £4M more than his release clause makes the fact Marouane Fellaini was the club’s only signing of the summer even more embarassing. The club has slumped from champions the seventh.

Great article... it's quite clear the club is full of excuses and has been for a while.

My highlight of the article was: -

This summer alone we have seen some excellent deals take place. Cesc Fabregas, who Manchester United made a £40M bid for last summer, signed for rivals Chelsea in a £30M move (explain that one?). Ivan Rakitic replaced him at Barcelona from Sevilla, signing for £15M. Defensive midfielder Fernando left Porto and signed for Manchester City for just £12M while World Cup winner Toni Kroos signed for Real Madrid for £20M. Every single one of those players would have given Manchester United something they desperately need – A top class central midfielder.
Credit: zimbio.com

Going further back (and into other positions), players such as Yaya Toure, Raphael Varane, Thiago, Luka Modric (twice), Arturo Vidal (yes, him!), Nemanja Matic have all gone for nominal fees while Manchester United have persisted with a mediocre midfield. To sum up United’s mediocrity in recent transfer windows, lets remember that Sir Alex Ferguson replaced Cristiano Ronaldo with Antonio Valencia and Carlos Tevez with free agent Michael Owen. This in the same summer that players such as Karim Benzema, Xabi Alonso, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Kaka all left their clubs and went to La Liga.
Last summer Manchester United went about their transfers in an amateur fashion, publicly chasing Leighton Baines and Cesc Fabregas. David Moyes claimed in an interview on Sunday that the club tried to sign Fabregas, Bale and Ronaldo last summer. The fact the club ended up paying £4M more than his release clause makes the fact Marouane Fellaini was the club’s only signing of the summer even more embarassing. The club has slumped from champions the seventh.

Several flaws here, you need to look at the difference between actual reasons and excuses:

We bid for Varane, he chose Madrid.

We tried hard for Modric both at Spurs AND Madrid. both were no goes for different reasons.

LVG himself pulled out of the Kroos deal.

Fernando was only interested in City, never us at any point.

Matic again we approached and were told he was Chelsea bound if he moved (under Ferguson not Moyes).

Now you can question the others, certainly Rakitic. But above are all valid reason, and its certainly incorrect to dismiss them.

Even Benzema we were outbid

Xabi Alonso went from Liverpool. Dont need to explain why that would never have happened.

Last edited:
My new article, please give it a read and leave your opinions on the site. Don't tell me there's no value in the transfer market!Di Marzio also saying now that Benatia and Roma's extension "appears to be a formality". Says his agent met with Bayern but no agreement was made and no Bayern haven't made an offer. Roma have received no offers, according to him.
I art with nearly all your views in that article expecially about this summer. I disagree with your view that Ferguson didn't try to replace scholes and Co though. He tried to but sadly it failed to come off. Anderson was clearly brought in to replace scholes but that didn't work out. Jones and Smalling were also brought in with high expectations but their development has not gone according to plan. Hargreaves was meant to play the Keane role but we all know how that turned out. On the point of Tevez we had Rooney, Berba and a young Welbeck who everyone expected big things of. And Nani was in the form of his life the season after Ronaldo left but sadly his form slagged off.So in all fairness, I think our current fortune has been down to the young players not developing as expected as much as anything.

Last edited:
Several flaws here, you need to look at the difference between actual reasons and excuses:

We bid for Varane, he chose Madrid.

We tried hard for Modric both at Spurs AND Madrid. both were no goes for different reasons.

LVG himself pulled out of the Kroos deal.

Fernando was only interested in City, never us at any point.

Matic again we approached and were told he was Chelsea bound if he moved (under Ferguson not Moyes).

Now you can question the others, certainly Rakitic. But above are all valid reason, and its certainly incorrect to dismiss them.

Even Benzema we were outbid

Xabi Alonso went from Liverpool. Dont need to explain why that would never have happened.

That's partly the point though. How do we get outbid/lose out on so many talents to rival clubs if we're supposedly "the biggest club in the world"?

That's partly the point though. How do we get outbid/lose out on so many talents to rival clubs if we're supposedly "the biggest club in the world"?

Various reasons to be honest. You're trying to compress 6 or 7 years into a short article, when half of these are worth an article in their own right.

Varane we lost to Madrid, one of the few clubs that can actually claim to be big/bigger than us.

Modric, Levy was intent on never selling to anyone in the prem, and ancellotti loves him

No one actually knows why LVG pulled the plug on Kroos.

Fernando wanted City, I actually dont think this is a big deal.

Matic is ex chelsea and still kept strong ties.

Benzema, we were £7m short in the end.

Alonso, doesnt need explaining

Not really sure how we lost to so many clubs here? the bold are no goes from the start.

The answer to all questions has one common factor: The Glazers.

I could write a whole essay on this. But if you want short answer, it nearly always comes back to the glazers.

Shame so many United fans ignored this while we were winning back to back titles.

The answer to all questions has one common factor: The Glazers.

I could write a whole essay on this. But if you want short answer, it nearly always comes back to the glazers.

Shame so many United fans ignored this while we were winning back to back titles.

No doubt, I just want someone heavily connected to United to actually tell it like it is, that they are a disease on the club, then fans would react HUGELY.

Imagine if Fergie came out and said now what the Glazers actually have taken from this club and continue to do to it.

No doubt, I just want someone heavily connected to United to actually tell it like it is, that they are a disease on the club, then fans would react HUGELY.

Imagine if Fergie came out and said now what the Glazers actually have taken from this club and continue to do to it.

Gill was actually really ****** good, considering what he was working under. We havent replaced him as well as we should have.

Back