The Manchester United Thread

@MiguelDelaney: "Van Gaal is said to be getting increasingly impatient about the lack of activity & occasionally has been fuming."

Delaney: "Italian sources state that Juve set an internal deadline for last Fri after which Vidal would not be allowed to be move."

Delaney on Vidal: "The big push never came."

Delaney: "There is finally likely to be a big push for Di Maria."

Delaney: "The club are aided by the fact that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is almost as eager to sell as #MUFC are to buy."

Delaney: "That could create some leeway with the price -- #MUFC are said to be ready to initially offer £50M but Real want around £60M."

Delaney: "One player deal that was at a tentative stage this summer never got off the ground because of a difference of about £2M."

Delaney: "For his part, Woodward is said to be "very conscious" of the public image, and is determined to land deals."

Cesc, matic, oscar and ramires as midfield choices must nice to have.

Good article from delaney but quite shocking read as a united fan. Anyone who isn't putting blame at woodwards door is mental.

Footy Humour @FootyHumour
Follow

Cesc Fabregas got more assists in his first 45 mins for Chelsea than Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley and Fellaini got last season combined.

That's just grim with a hint of hilarity, still amazed they are four of our current 5 CM choices. You could only argue carrick would get into the liverpool side, city, chelsea, arsenal, **** even everton and spurs because the rest sure the **** wouldn't.

Rojo on Argentine Radio a few minutes ago:

"It feels like a dream, to be a Manchester United player. Leaving Sporting wasn't easy." Also mentioned that he's going to a club where one of his idols, Seba Veron, played.

Seems a done deal. Announcement next few days I'd expect.

Carrick really fell off form last year. Big part of why United was so awful. The year before he was their best player along with RvP.

Carrick really fell off form last year. Big part of why United was so awful. The year before he was their best player along with RvP.
He was also routinely badly injured. And when he was playing, he was being asked to play lateral passes, rather straight through the middle the season before (when he was so **** effective with RVP)

Here's hoping we get Di Maria, not confident though

I grimaced a little at the Swansea result, obviously. But it didn't take too long for the words "disaster", "Moyes", and "miserable" to start being bandied around. Already Van Gaal's opening game as Manchester United has been declared a "catastrophe". Ho-hum.

It won't make the surfaces of many people's minds for too long that Van Gaal failed to win any of his opening three games when he began at Bayern München in 2009/10. It was apparently the club's worst start to the league season in 43 years (sounds familiar?). After losing 2-1 away at Mainz, they picked themselves off the floor, and dispatched Wolfsburg and Borussia Dortmund 3-0 and 5-1, home and away, respectively. They went on to win the league that year, and reach the Champions League final.

It's not a foregone conclusion that history will repeat itself, but even so, of course​ someone must be at fault. We were in control for considerable parts of the game - I thought - but it was our defending that let us down. Particularly the second goal. That can and will improve with: a) Jonny Evans returning and forming a cohesive partnership in that central defensive two or three, and/or b) signing a new central defender. The latter seems likely with Rojo, so there's some optimism there.

We could do with one more signing, preferably a left back - or if Evra had stayed just one more season, but alas. Things should improve.

This isn't to anyone in particular on here. Just been working a lot.

Last edited:
He was also routinely badly injured. And when he was playing, he was being asked to play lateral passes, rather straight through the middle the season before (when he was so **** effective with RVP)

Here's hoping we get Di Maria, not confident though

You mean you aren't confident in woodward sealing a world class player and the glazers putting out a package that could be worth anywhere from 90m and up, if you believe reports.

You mean you aren't confident in woodward sealing a world class player and the glazers putting out a package that could be worth anywhere from 90m and up, if you believe reports.

I'm not convinced he can sign his own name half the time. Although credit where it's due, he's got Sporting to stop hating Doyen enough to do the Rojo deal.

I grimaced a little at the Swansea result, obviously. But it didn't take too long for the words "disaster", "Moyes", and "miserable" to start being bandied around. Already Van Gaal's opening game as Manchester United has been declared a "catastrophe". Ho-hum.

It won't make the surfaces of many people's minds for too long that Van Gaal failed to win any of his opening three games when he began at Bayern München in 2009/10. It was apparently the club's worst start to the league season in 43 years (sounds familiar?). After losing 2-1 away at Mainz, they picked themselves off the floor, and dispatched Wolfsburg and Borussia Dortmund 3-0 and 5-1, home and away, respectively. They went on to win the league that year, and reach the Champions League final.

Its pretty consistent with Van Gaal's career that he's a slow starter. I don't expect it to be any different now, especially since he could barely do a proper pre-season, with the World Cup and all. Barrage of injuries already at the start definitely doesn't help matters.

That being said, the club is moving WAY too slow in the transfer market. The shortages in some positions should be obvious to everybody.

Its pretty consistent with Van Gaal's career that he's a slow starter. I don't expect it to be any different now, especially since he could barely do a proper pre-season, with the World Cup and all. Barrage of injuries already at the start definitely doesn't help matters.

That being said, the club is moving WAY too slow in the transfer market. The shortages in some positions should be obvious to everybody.

The club is steadfastly making moves for me. Sealing two deals in the space of 48 hours was very impressive. Now that the dust has settled on Herrera and Shaw, it's being viewed as stagnant. Not at all. Pursuing Mangala, Vidal, Di María and Rojo has shown direction and assertiveness. It's finalising these deals that is critical.

LVG can so much with our midfield, wingers and lack of quality and numbers at the back. I'd snap your hands off for 4th place on goal difference even if we get di maria.

Our team is soo slow aswell likes of cleverley, fellaini, fletcher run like they're in quicksand or towing a bus. I remember when we had that wicked pace and counters.

Never really had pace in the middle but we had scholes whipping them balls to the front three or four with such pace and precision.

Last edited:
The club is steadfastly making moves for me. Sealing two deals in the space of 48 hours was very impressive. Now that the dust has settled on Herrera and Shaw, it's being viewed as stagnant. Not at all. Pursuing Mangala, Vidal, Di María and Rojo has shown direction and assertiveness. It's finalising these deals that is critical.

IMO i know it's rehashing old debates but i still go back to previous transfer activity, instead of rvp and kagawa it should have been a CM and RVP or a CM and kagawa, instead of mata a quality winger, strootman over fellaini, hindsight hey. Also imo a cb should have been signed last summer all our defenders were either aging or injury prone.

Now don't get me wrong mata, kagawa and RVP all quality buys but no balance, could even go back to 09-11 when a CM was not signed because fergie insisted with anderson and then cleverley around 2012 and then when fletch got ill still no new midfielder.

@MiguelDelaney: "Van Gaal is said to be getting increasingly impatient about the lack of activity & occasionally has been fuming."

Delaney: "Italian sources state that Juve set an internal deadline for last Fri after which Vidal would not be allowed to be move."

Delaney on Vidal: "The big push never came."

Delaney: "There is finally likely to be a big push for Di Maria."

Delaney: "The club are aided by the fact that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is almost as eager to sell as #MUFC are to buy."

Delaney: "That could create some leeway with the price -- #MUFC are said to be ready to initially offer £50M but Real want around £60M."

Delaney: "One player deal that was at a tentative stage this summer never got off the ground because of a difference of about £2M."

Delaney: "For his part, Woodward is said to be "very conscious" of the public image, and is determined to land deals."

Waiting for day when these journos learn the difference between Pound and Euro. Rumors were we were willing to pay 50 Million euro, not pound.

Similarly Rojo has 30 Million euro release clause but Sky reported he had 30 million pound release clause.

Back