The Manchester United Thread

Waiting for day when these journos learn the difference between Pound and Euro. Rumors were we were willing to pay 50 Million euro, not pound.

Similarly Rojo has 30 Million euro release clause but Sky reported he had 30 million pound release clause.

It's not just Sky, but whole british media that seem to confuse pounds with euros in every deal they report.

It's not just Sky, but whole british media that seem to confuse pounds with euros in every deal they report.

Exactly. Some foreign paper reports the fee in Euros then British media picks it up and reports the same number but put pounds sign.

It's not like most actual deal values will be made public anyway, it doesn't matter much.

Waiting Rojo on our website today/tomorrow. Let's see if we can wrap up another one before Saturday also.

We really should've gone all out to try and get Vidal.. I still feel he should have been considered the priority ahead of di Maria for us this window, for the formation we use. He can either be a midfield destroyer or a brilliant BTB. I know many are hoping Strootman will join us, but Strootman is even more reluctant to request a transfer than Vidal is, and Roma is in a way better situation, and they sure as heck don't want to sell. Something tells me a lot more teams are going to be in for Vidal if for some reason he does become available again next summer.

I know I'm only basing it on rumours, but there seemed strong indications Vidal would be willing to join us. And if we aren't able to get di Maria this window as well, Woody really does need to find a new job :\

Oh well, atm, the most likely players to join us, other than Rojo, seem to be Blind and di Maria. Let's hope the two of them happen, lol.

Transfer news: Sporting's Marcos Rojo ready for Manchester United move

marcos-rojo-argentina_3188557.jpg

Marcos Rojo: Set for move to Man United

World Cup star Marcos Rojo has told the Argentine media that he cannot wait to join Manchester United.
The Sporting Lisbon defender has just returned to training with the Portuguese giants after apologising to them for previously refusing to play, as he looked to force through a transfer out of the club.
Both United and Southampton had lodged bids for the 24-year-old, but it is United who are set to win his signature - although neither club has yet confirmed whether a deal has been agreed.
It is understood talks are continuing between United and Sporting, with reports claiming that Nani and Anderson could be loaned the other way as part of the deal.
But one thing that is sure, is that Rojo - who has won 28 caps for Argentina - believes he will be at Old Trafford sooner rather than later.
"It's a dream to play at Manchester United and I am very proud of having the chance of working with [Louis] van Gaal," Rojo said in an interview with Argentinian radio stationContinental.
Veron talks

marcos-rojo-juan-sebastian-veron-estudiantes-celeb_3192740.jpg

Veron, Federico Fernandez and Rojo celebrating Estudiantes' title win in 2010

Rojo, who can play at left-back or centre-back, has revealed that he always wanted to play for United, after speaking with former United midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron earlier in his career.
"I spoke with Juan Sebastian Veron about Manchester United when we were at Estudiantes," he said.
"I have always liked English football, and I should adapt to this new playing style easily."
Regarding what has happened with Sporting, he added: "There was a misunderstanding, I never wanted to do something wrong at Sporting as I have always been very thankful to that team that gave me many chances for playing in Europe.
"If I made a mistake, I have already apologised because I didn't want to hurt the feelings of anyone at the club.

One good thing about this deal is no one had a ******* clue that we were in for him. Journos only picked it up when Rojo started following ManUtd players on Twitter/Instagram

Last edited:
Not sure about Song. I liked him when he was at Arsenal but his game has regressed a lot. His passing is good but his defensive work is not that good.
True, but on loan (i feel) he can be a good back up player (better then Fellaini) or maybe surprise us. But we dont need back up players, we need a starter....I dont know, I am at that point where I will be happy with any decent signing. :D

Well, United has plenty of backup players as a starters. So Song wouldn't be that good.

Rojo is just the start (I hope), we need another player capable of playing CM and other multiple positions for cover/depth...... Di Maria + Blind it's a great window. Even Di Maria on his own and it's a real good window. If we don't get Di Maria it's a poor one as there is still glaring weaknesses in this side, if Fletcher or Herrera get injured we rely on the likes of Cleverley.

Oh and with Nani apparently going out the other way to Sporting, surely we desperately need a winger now? Even if 3-5-2 (whatever you class it as) is LVG's main system this season, we still need the option to convert to a 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1. Hard to do that with no good wide-players. Only one we shall now have is Januzaj.

Oh and with Nani apparently going out the other way to Sporting, surely we desperately need a winger now? Even if 3-5-2 (whatever you class it as) is LVG's main system this season, we still need the option to convert to a 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1. Hard to do that with no good wide-players. Only one we shall now have is Januzaj.

I think it would be a good move for Nani and ManUtd. If he plays well then his transfer fee will only increase and we can sell him for bigger fee or retain him and play him. If he flops then we were ready to lose him anyways so no big deal.

For winger role we have to come to terms with it. 3-5-2 is the primary formation and when we switch to 4-3-3 then Januzaj, Kagawa, Mata, Young will play as wingers.

I think it would be a good move for Nani and ManUtd. If he plays well then his transfer fee will only increase and we can sell him for bigger fee or retain him and play him. If he flops then we were ready to lose him anyways so no big deal.

For winger role we have to come to terms with it. 3-5-2 is the primary formation and when we switch to 4-3-3 then Januzaj, Kagawa, Mata, Young will play as wingers.

Or sign a better one? I'm sorry Kagawa and Mata are not wingers and don't have the pace we SO BADLY LACK.

I'd get Di Maria... even in a 3-5-2 he can do a better job than our current options (especially with Rafael and Shaw injured), he'd add some pace to our side even from a Central Midfield position he'd be great. But also we can utilise him with different systems.

Also some depth to midfield is much needed, not just numbers, quality. Hopefully Fellaini is going out on loan like reports are saying to Napoli and we are getting someone.

Or sign a better one? I'm sorry Kagawa and Mata are not wingers and don't have the pace we SO BADLY LACK.

I'd get Di Maria... even in a 3-5-2 he can do a better job than our current options (especially with Rafael and Shaw injured), he'd add some pace to our side even from a Central Midfield position he'd be great. But also we can utilise him with different systems.

Also some depth to midfield is much needed, not just numbers, quality. Hopefully Fellaini is going out on loan like reports are saying to Napoli and we are getting someone.

Yeah Di Maria would be awesome. All I'm saying is maybe LVG wants to play 3-5-2 this season.

Back