The Manchester United Thread

No? I just find it slightly funny how United fans spent season and after season deriding City/Chelsea for 'buying' their way to success and now United are doing the exact same thing in a desperate attempt to get back into the top 4. Nothing wrong with it mind, let's see how the Di Maria deal plays out. Quite surprised their is no competition for him

This is money the club makes.. We're not funded by an oil billionaire. There's a big difference, not that I wanted to bring it up but you clearly don't understand when you post stuff like this.

Who the fat Journo on Sunday Supplement? Whats he on about saying he would pick Cole,Lampard,Gerrard,Terry ahead of the youngsters for the Euros :O

No? I just find it slightly funny how United fans spent season and after season deriding City/Chelsea for 'buying' their way to success and now United are doing the exact same thing in a desperate attempt to get back into the top 4. Nothing wrong with it mind, let's see how the Di Maria deal plays out. Quite surprised their is no competition for him

No, the reason that happens is that Chelsea/City only ever buy players. Other than John Terry, I'm struggling to think of one youth player who is currently a first team regular for Chelsea, and I'm not even going to start on City. Over-paying for players? We invented that in the Premier League. But the thing is, we mostly paid high for excellent youth prospects (if you exclude RvP, Mata in recent times), and we almost always had our youth players in the mix for first team football.

Chelsea/City NEVER give youth a chance (I'm not going into reasons, for whatever causes), which is why they're called so. And only United fans? I know many Liverpool fans, Newcastle and West Ham fans who'd also say the same thing.

No, the reason that happens is that Chelsea/City only ever buy players. Other than John Terry, I'm struggling to think of one youth player who is currently a first team regular for Chelsea, and I'm not even going to start on City. Over-paying for players? We invented that in the Premier League. But the thing is, we mostly paid high for excellent youth prospects (if you exclude RvP, Mata in recent times), and we almost always had our youth players in the mix for first team football.

Chelsea/City NEVER give youth a chance (I'm not going into reasons, for whatever causes), which is why they're called so. And only United fans? I know many Liverpool fans, Newcastle and West Ham fans who'd also say the same thing.

I don't see how it's related in any way whatsoever. United fans have criticized Chelsea/City for the longest time for 'buying' their way to success even though that's the fastest way to get into the Top 4 and now United are doing the exact same thing. I struggle to see why youth players has anything remotely to do with the point I was making

Nonetheless, Yes United did integrate Youth prospects but that's also because they had an incredible manager who had managed to attain unprecedented success and therefore, had the time and freedom to integrate youth players without facing the risk of a sacking if things don't go well. Let's see how many youth prospects are integrated this season as now LVG knows he is walking on a thin line and he might get the sack if he fails to get United into the top 4

Also how many youth players at Chelsea/City can you name that would have gotten into the CFC time if given time. The only one I can think of is Matic and Chelsea realised their mistake and bought him back. None of the rest of the youth players that Chelsea let go would have made it into the Chelsea team so it's pretty narrow-minded to keep regurgitating the same line that Chelsea never give youth a chance. It's also only been 3-4 seasons since Chelsea upgraded their youth facilities to truly world-class standards and these processes take time. You can't suddenly expect the next John Terry to pop out of nowhere

I don't see how it's related in any way whatsoever. United fans have criticized Chelsea/City for the longest time for 'buying' their way to success even though that's the fastest way to get into the Top 4 and now United are doing the exact same thing. I struggle to see why youth players has anything remotely to do with the point I was making

Nonetheless, Yes United did integrate Youth prospects but that's also because they had an incredible manager who had managed to attain unprecedented success and therefore, had the time and freedom to integrate youth players without facing the risk of a sacking if things don't go well. Let's see how many youth prospects are integrated this season as now LVG knows he is walking on a thin line and he might get the sack if he fails to get United into the top 4

Also how many youth players at Chelsea/City can you name that would have gotten into the CFC time if given time. The only one I can think of is Matic and Chelsea realised their mistake and bought him back. None of the rest of the youth players that Chelsea let go would have made it into the Chelsea team so it's pretty narrow-minded to keep regurgitating the same line that Chelsea never give youth a chance. It's also only been 3-4 seasons since Chelsea upgraded their youth facilities to truly world-class standards and these processes take time. You can't suddenly expect the next John Terry to pop out of nowhere

We fielded way more than you in the first competitive game alone.

This is money the club makes.. We're not funded by an oil billionaire. There's a big difference, not that I wanted to bring it up but you clearly don't understand when you post stuff like this.

I disagree with you completely. Much of City and Chelsea's spending is also funded by the revenues that the clubs earn from substantial sponsorship and tv rights deal. It's completely absurd to say that the money solely comes from Sheikh Mansour's or Roman's pocket

Nonetheless, you are partially right but I still find the point slightly wrong. It's like saying that I spend the money that my dad earned whereas you spend the money that your dad won from the lottery and that somehow makes my spending more 'morally pure'. It's still spending one way or another

Also if you only expect clubs to spend the money that they earn that isn't that exactly what the FFP has done? Widening the gap between the big clubs and small clubs. Because FFP now has made it practically impossible for another Chelsea or City to rise and we will probably see the same few clubs at the top for years to come. Nothing could be more sad tbh. It's why no one wants to buy a club like Aston Villa because they know they simply cannot spend and catch up with the big boys but will have to grow the club organically which will take years and years

Thats because you barely have any good players. Something which you have repeatedly had a meltdown over

LVG and United has a record with youth though and they shall continued to be integrated even if we buy 3 more players.

LVG and United has a record with youth though and they shall continued to be integrated even if we buy 3 more players.

Yeah well we will see ... Top 4 is the priority at United and everyone including LVG is well aware of that. Also you completely ignored my last paragraph within my initial post

Yeah well we will see ... Top 4 is the priority at United and everyone including LVG is well aware of that. Also you completely ignored my last paragraph within my initial post

If you want to moan about FFP then go do it, but fact is most clubs agreed to it.

If you want to moan about FFP then go do it, but fact is most clubs agreed to it.

And now we are seeing all it's harmful implications. If you are strong advocate that clubs should only spend what the earn, that's fine but then we would probably see United winning the EPL year after year easily and make the EPL a one-team league. Excellent for you but **** for everyone else

And now we are seeing all it's harmful implications. If you are strong advocate that clubs should only spend what the earn, that's fine but then we would probably see United winning the EPL year after year easily and make the EPL a one-team league. Excellent for you but **** for everyone else

How? It's aimed to protect clubs not harm them.... this is the biggest ever summer transfer window of spending.... what did Shane Long just go for to a mid-table club? I think you're moaning for moanings sake when you don't really know anything about it.

It's like saying that I spend the money that my dad earned whereas you spend the money that your dad won from the lottery and that somehow makes my spending more 'morally pure'. It's still spending one way or another

More like, we spend the money we earnt on our own merit. You're more like the annoying, preppy Cambridge going toff who thinks he's the dog's bollocks because his Dad's a lawyer.

How? It's aimed to protect clubs not harm them.... this is the biggest ever summer transfer window of spending.... what did Shane Long just go for to a mid-table club? I think you're moaning for moanings sake when you don't really know anything about it.

I already showed you how it harms them. Why do you think no one wants to buy Aston Villa despite Randy Lerner being desperate to sell? It's because they know that their is absolutely no potential for them to do anything with the club. They can't spend their way to the top anymore because of FFP. They will have to grow organically which will take years!

The gap between the big and small clubs have just widened and we will likely see the same few big games at the top now. Advocating that clubs should only spend what they earn is just entrenching the big clubs further at the top and making them
more dominant

What does Shane Long have to do with this? It isn't like buying him has made the Saints world beaters and they were flush with cash anyways due to their summer sales

More like, we spend the money we earnt on our own merit. You're more like the annoying, preppy Cambridge going toff who thinks he's the dog's bollocks because his Dad's a lawyer.

Spin it any way you like. It's still spending at the end of the day. No one wants to see United winning the title year after year and make the EPL a one-team league

I already showed you how it harms them. Why do you think no one wants to buy Aston Villa despite Randy Lerner being desperate to sell? It's because they know that their is absolutely no potential for them to do anything with the club. They can't spend their way to the top anymore because of FFP. They will have to grow organically which will take years!

The gap between the big and small clubs have just widened and we will likely see the same few big games at the top now. Advocating that clubs should only spend what they earn is just entrenching the big clubs further at the top and making them
more dominant

What does Shane Long have to do with this? It isn't like buying him has made the Saints world beaters and they were flush with cash anyways due to their summer sales

What a horrific concept. If only you were there to advise Portsmouth! Oh..

more dominant

Forgive me if I'm wrong but Randy Lerner has wanted to sell Aston Villa even before FFP was about and couldn't find a suitor.

Spin it any way you like. It's still spending at the end of the day. No one wants to see United winning the title year after year and make the EPL a one-team league

You seem to oscillate between United aren't ever going to win a game again without UCL, and United are unbeatable because of FFP. There is a middle ground that doesn't rely on hyperbole, you know?

You seem to oscillate between United aren't ever going to win a game again without UCL, and United are unbeatable because of FFP. There is a middle ground that doesn't rely on hyperbole, you know?

One big potential signing to United and the world panics, you know that by now right?

Except if your a Liverpool fan who thinks Sterling is just as good |)

Back