The Manchester United Thread

With this team, United should easily be title contenders. Pressure is on LVG but I am sure he wouldn't have it any other way!

We ARE title contenders mate, make no mistake. Whether we ll actually win the ****** thing this season remains to be seen ...

Oh and we WILL buy in January as well if we are there or thereabouts in the table ...

With this team, United should easily be title contenders. Pressure is on LVG but I am sure he wouldn't have it any other way!

Depends on the injuries, I expect top 4 is the aim, too many new players with a new philosophy to expect it to all click and suddenly mount a tittle challenge.

We ARE title contenders mate, make no mistake. Whether we ll actually win the ****** thing this season remains to be seen ...

You should be very close tbh ... Particularly as you don't have CL to worry about either. Anything less and it should be classed as a disappointment imo

Should be up there for sure, think top 4 is the target though. LVG has said it will be hard for title this season. Been some great players come to the prem though.

Depends on the injuries, I expect top 4 is the aim, too many news players with a new philosophy to expect it to all click and suddenly mount a tittle challenge.

Depends though mate. Media and fans were happy to mock Mourinho when he downplayed Chelsea's chances last season despite facing similar problems and having no proper striker as well as CL to contend with. LVG has 3 world-class strikers and a pretty solid squad with no CL commitments so in a sense, its hypocritical if we start downplaying expectations

Should be up there for sure, think top 4 is the target though. LVG has said it will be hard for title this season. Been some great players come to the prem though.

I would have agreed with you but now you just signed Di Maria, Falcao and Blind inside a week so expectations have got to be higher. United should definitely push Chelsea/City all the way as well have make a deep run in the FA Cup

I would have agreed with you but now you just signed Di Maria, Falcao and Blind inside a week so expectations have got to be higher. United should definitely push Chelsea/City all the way as well have make a deep run in the FA Cup
Agree mate. Will also depend how quick they settle and how quick we can get our 10 players back from injury.

LVG has said it clearly:

1. He will assess players then buy.
2. He trains minds not bodies and will take around 3 months to understand his 'philosophy". This clearly means time is needed to be fluid tactics wise and to be able to change tactics/formations from match to match or during a match.
3. The squad is very unbalanced esp with the amount of "number 10s".
4. He will work to do the following: ensure young players are given chances as well as pass on to the next guy a much more balanced squad than he got.

He didnt buy the cb and dm we think we need? Maybe he did in Blind and Rojo and, also introducing 9 instead of 7 players in a squad makes fluidity much more difficult to achieve. Squad is much more balanced than people think.

God how refreshing it is to have a proper manager again who obviously knows what he is doing AND has the balls to do what he thinks is needed.

Agree mate. Will also depend how quick they settle and how quick we can get our 10 players back from injury.

Agreed mate. Going to be one roller coaster of a season. I am sure glad United got Falcao instead of City. Evens the playing field a bit more otherwise City would be insanely strong

4-2-3-1? Our wingers would be Di Maria, Mata, Januzaj and one of Young/Valencia.

Er, how can Mata possibly cover the wing when you have him as primary AM? Di Maria, Mata and Januzaj all double up as winger/AM and Di Maria triples as CM. 3 players to cover 3 positions. The backups are either deadwood or people played badly out of position.

Agreed mate. Going to be one roller coaster of a season. I am sure glad United got Falcao instead of City. Evens the playing field a bit more otherwise City would be insanely strong
Will be some cracking matches for sure. God **** international break :P

Er, how can Mata possibly cover the wing when you have him as primary AM? Di Maria, Mata and Januzaj all double up as winger/AM and Di Maria triples as CM. 3 players to cover 3 positions. The backups are either deadwood or people played badly out of position.

To be fair it hardly matters, United are only involved in the league and FA Cup :P

----------DDG--------
Rafael---Jones---Rojo---Shaw
---------------Blind---------
-----Herrera-----------
ADM-----Mata/Rooney------Januzaj
-------Falcao/Rooney

Put Blind in either CM/CDM, squad is still good for a traditional 4-2-3-1. Above formation doesn't factor in RvP, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, Young, Blackett, Evans, Smalling. Besides, it's not like we have Champions League matches to contend with, to need too much squad rotation.

TBH, the wildcard here is Rooney. Play him in CM and could solve a lot of problems temporarily..

To be fair it hardly matters, United are only involved in the league and FA Cup :P

Yeah and their title chance slipped the moment Henderson got injured.

Importance of squad depth can't be overestimated.

Like I said in a 4-2-3-1 we have to play either Rooney on wings or Mata. So Rooney, Januzaj, Di Maria, Young/Valencia. That's not too bad.

Ogden reporting that Villa can buy Cleverley for 7 Million in Jan if they are impressed with him.

One reason I'd like a 4-2-3-1 is that Januzaj has more chances of getting involved than our current formation..

Back