The Manchester United Thread

After some consideration I'd say Falcao's signing is a bit of a tipping point. It is no longer good enough to call this transistion season where its fine to just battle for the top 4. After a window like this, Van Gaal just has to get this squad to at least compete for the title. Everything else will be a dissapointment.

He's just joined after one of the clubs worst ever seasons and has to flock a load out, bring aload in, you expect a title challenge?

Doesn't matter whether we've signed big names, it's a new coach, new philosophy, new players, everyone has adapt to this... all the United fans I know just want top 4 this season as a realistic expectation.

Anything more is a bonus, if we can get top 4 this season then we can really build our slight weaknesses and compete big time next season... on most fronts.

That's how I look at it.

He's just joined after one of the clubs worst ever seasons and has to flock a load out, bring aload in, you expect a title challenge?

Doesn't matter whether we've signed big names, it's a new coach, new philosophy, new players, everyone has adapt to this... all the United fans I know just want top 4 this season as a realistic expectation.

Anything more is a bonus, if we can get top 4 this season then we can really build our slight weaknesses and compete big time next season... on most fronts.

That's how I look at it.

Van Gaal has two remits: return to Europe, and rebuild the side in the long run.

After that its open. That doesnt mean he isn't aiming for the title though. If he can create a title challenge, he will.

he came here to win stuff. He said it himself, he wants to say he has won the Premier League

Sorry but that just aint true.

Yes it is. You went from unbalanced squad full of deadwood to arguably second best squad in the league. And you can focus your efforts completely on the Prem with no european football. If the team sits on 5-6 for most of the season, scraping just to slip into top 4, it'd be quite poor performance. I don't mean the team has to be 1 point of the top in May, but it has to look at least like a serious contender.

Last edited:

That's how I look at it.
Agree mate. To much change for a title challenge imo and still a few weaknesses in the squad.

Yes it is. You went from unbalanced squad full of deadwood to arguably second best squad in the league. And you can focus your efforts completely on the Prem with no european football. If the team sits on 5-6 for most of the season, scraping just to slip into top 4, it'd be quite poor performance.
I don't care who we signed to many changes and still not sorted out the defence and midfield completely.

Van Gaal has two remits: return to Europe, and rebuild the side in the long run.

After that its open. That doesnt mean he isn't aiming for the title though. If he can create a title challenge, he will.

he came here to win stuff. He said it himself, he wants to say he has won the Premier League
And I would be happy with a return to Europe this season, and continue the rebuild.

Yes, obviously we aim for the highest position possible but realistically, title is probably out of reach... even top 4 has looked some way off on the first few games, based on the performances so far, lets not forget that.

Still think we've took a big risk with our defence, could of got another CB and another RB to be safe.

But if we're realistic, our firepower should be enough now.. if we don't have all these injuries that is.

The idea that fans or ever the board will be disappointed if the club finish 4th is just false. Assuming we get 4th, the real must title challenge comes next year.

Everyone would take one, but no one is demanding one now.

You can tell who is clued up and who is not, by those pundits who do/dont realise we have debuted 6 academy players this season.
Anyone who think we've turned from youth is an idiot.

Funny thing is the same lot were saying we needed to spend 250m or more last season and now we've started rebuilding the squad they are either saying we signed the wrong players or we've lost our "identity"

I shouldn't but i can see my self getting wound up by merson and that on the next soccer saturday.

LOL window only just closed and Jamie Jackson is linking us with a January move for Strootman and Hummels as our 2 top targets for winter window.

I am upset about Danny, but more because he wanted to leave because we disenchanted him so much over the last two years. Ferguson and Moyes carry the can for that.

You keep saying SAF also ... Why?

Nice to see we re still after unproven youngsters as well. The LVG "project" is well under way!

Manchester United to sign Fosu-Mensah from Ajax - Goal.com

And how about this from RVP?!

Manchester United striker Van Persie denies requiring knee surgery - Goal.com

Ok now I'm well confused, RVP says he don't need surgery... we've brought in Falcao.... Rooney is obviously here... we can't play them all, can we?

If I could choose 1 first-choice striker out of them at the minute, hands down would be Falcao, RVP has lost some of his mojo and Rooney needs to stop invading spaces behind him, such as Mata's.

However if Rooney wanted to be no.10 and drop deeper from time to time to get the ball, that would be much better.

Ok now I'm well confused, RVP says he don't need surgery... we've brought in Falcao.... Rooney is obviously here... we can't play them all, can we?

If I could choose 1 first-choice striker out of them at the minute, hands down would be Falcao, RVP has lost some of his mojo and Rooney needs to stop invading spaces behind him, such as Mata's.

However if Rooney wanted to be no.10 and drop deeper from time to time to get the ball, that would be much better.
Good problem to have though :P

Welbeck was not happy playing out of the flank, he's been promised a proper run through the middle. It never happened

Fergie broke his philosophy to sign RVP in his final season.. we all know why....

Welbeck was not happy playing out of the flank, he's been promised a proper run through the middle. It never happened

Yes but do you think he has the composure to play there? His mind to limbs co ordination is a bit off too ...

Yes but do you think he has the composure to play there? His mind to limbs co ordination is a bit off too ...

Fergie broke his philosophy to sign RVP in his final season.. we all know why....

I agree zzeezzy Welbeck and Kagawa fell victim to the fact Ferguson left before Rooney did.

And manumad, Welbecks best returns have come when he is played straight throught the middle, when he got that run of 9 games as CF under Moyes when RVP was out, he scored 7 goals, with a 22% conversion rate. That is very very good. Imagine if that run is extended to 38 games.

Welbecks best returns have come when he is played straight throught the middle, when he got that run of 9 games as CF under Moyes when RVP was out, he scored 7 goals, with a 22% conversion rate. That is very very good. Imagine if that run is extended to 38 games.

Mate thats shocking ... I had no idea. Always had him down as somebody who misses sitters ....

I agree zzeezzy Welbeck and Kagawa fell victim to the fact Ferguson left before Rooney did.

And manumad, Welbecks best returns have come when he is played straight throught the middle, when he got that run of 9 games as CF under Moyes when RVP was out, he scored 7 goals, with a 22% conversion rate. That is very very good. Imagine if that run is extended to 38 games.

Tbf, I don't think Kagawa was ever going to cut it in PL, too physical for him I think.

Biggest concern now is, if LVG is going to do the same to our youngsters like Januzaj and Wilson to get the results he needs, this season at least.

Back