The Manchester United Thread

Mate thats shocking ... I had no idea. Always had him down as somebody who misses sitters ....

When he thinks too much he will miss sitters, but that comes from irregular time up front. He needs s full proper run there, leave him to learn.

So when Walcott and Giroud is back he will get a good run of 20+ games like Mike says he needs to develop? Because i dont. And think Wenger will go back in for a STR next summer.

Still long way to go until Giroud's back and I think most of the time Walcott will remain on right. He has great opportunity to show what he's got until january and will rack up good amount of games until then and if he does well can see him starting over Giroud at least on bigger games where we need that pace.

Still long way to go until Giroud's back and I think most of the time Walcott will remain on right. He has great opportunity to show what he's got until january and will rack up good amount of games until then and if he does well can see him starting over Giroud at least on bigger games where we need that pace.
Will see mate. I hope he does well! But think Walcott will go up top and Sanchez will play in his prefferd position RW.

Will see mate. I hope he does well! But think Walcott will go up top and Sanchez will play in his prefferd position RW.

Maybe on some games, but lot of games coming for us and doubt Wenger will rush Walcott back too quickly and risk another injury, he's too crucial especially now that Giroud's out.

Maybe on some games, but lot of games coming for us and doubt Wenger will rush Walcott back too quickly and risk another injury, he's too crucial especially now that Giroud's out.
You have as much look with your STR injuries as we do with our Defenders :P

Tbf, I don't think Kagawa was ever going to cut it in PL, too physical for him I think.

Biggest concern now is, if LVG is going to do the same to our youngsters like Januzaj and Wilson to get the results he needs, this season at least.

Doubt it. He's always believed in youth and said it's his intentions to do so here. It's not like either of them are at a stage where they need to play every game of the season forcing them to burnout later. Getting decent game time while learning while learning from the likes of di maria and mata for januzaj and 3 of the best strikers in the world for Wilson, all under a coach renowned for his youth development skills is perfect.

Listen to him talk about bringing through the likes Muller, xavi, iniesta, alaba etc. He takes pride in being the one who gave them their chance and kick started their careers.

Doubt it. He's always believed in youth and said it's his intentions to do so here. It's not like either of them are at a stage where they need to play every game of the season forcing them to burnout later. Getting decent game time while learning while learning from the likes of di maria and mata for januzaj and 3 of the best strikers in the world for Wilson, all under a coach renowned for his youth development skills is perfect.

Listen to him talk about bringing through the likes Muller, xavi, iniesta, alaba etc. He takes pride in being the one who gave them their chance and kick started their careers.

Van Gaal giving youth enough of a chance is one thing that I'm not worried about.

Yeh I know, but I think he realises this season is crucial and we have to get in top 4.

Not worried about LVG and his intentions with our youth players, but just pointing out that this season may be more about less risks, more quality, such as Falcao.

I'd never of thought in a 1000years we would sign Falcao, considering we had RVP, Rooney and Welbeck.

I'd never of thought in a 1000years we would sign Falcao, considering we had RVP, Rooney and Welbeck.

If LVG plays FM it would explain everything. I used to always buy striker in first season because RVP constantly gets injured.

He's just joined after one of the clubs worst ever seasons and has to flock a load out, bring aload in, you expect a title challenge?

Doesn't matter whether we've signed big names, it's a new coach, new philosophy, new players, everyone has adapt to this... all the United fans I know just want top 4 this season as a realistic expectation.

Anything more is a bonus, if we can get top 4 this season then we can really build our slight weaknesses and compete big time next season... on most fronts.

That's how I look at it.

Agree mate. To much change for a title challenge imo and still a few weaknesses in the squad.

You can downplay expectations all you like, the fact is that with the money you spend and the players you brought in, a title challenge has to be the minimum benchmark. Especially since you lot are only involved in two competitions. United fans keep claiming the squad is much more balanced than people think and they are right, so I don't see why they shouldn't be gunning for the title. Can't say the squad is excellent and then downplay expectations the next minute. It's like having your cake and eating it too!

The whole philosophy stuff doesn't fly with me. Mourinho came in last season and still challenged for the title despite having CL to contend with and a far worse squad. He was mocked when he tried to downplay expectations. Hopefully those fans and media now extend the same principle to Lvg

Not saying United fans should be unhappy with a Top 4 finish but frankly speaking, with the work you did this window, the squad is really capable of so much more and should be looking to hit those heights

You can downplay expectations all you like, the fact is that with the money you spend and the players you brought in, a title challenge has to be the minimum benchmark. Especially since you lot are only involved in two competitions. United fans keep claiming the squad is much more balanced than people think and they are right, so I don't see why they shouldn't be gunning for the title. Can't say the squad is excellent and then downplay expectations the next minute. It's like having your cake and eating it too!

The whole philosophy stuff doesn't fly with me. Mourinho came in last season and still challenged for the title despite having CL to contend with and a far worse squad. He was mocked when he tried to downplay expectations. Hopefully those fans and media now extend the same principle to Lvg

Not saying United fans should be unhappy with a Top 4 finish but frankly speaking, with the work you did this window, the squad is really capable of so much more and should be looking to hit those heights

Except you're wrong. You want to know so much money is being spent? To reverse 6 years of under funding. No one is downplaying expectations because the club has one major expectation: get back into the Champions league. That is the single target this year. If we look better, then great, we adjust aim for top spot. But make no mistake that is United's priority. The rebuild isnt over yet. So don't tell United fans they are downplaying it when everyone involved in the club knows what the number one expectation is right now.

We are'n't gunning for the title. We are gunning for the CL, with an aim to revise in Jan, hence the chase for Strootman. If we are in good shape then and he comes in, then we will gun for the title. The squad is strong, but we re not quite a team yet, and some of the depth is raw. Its not having your cake and eating its understanding what makes a winning side, something we know about more than just about anyone in the league. The mentality needs to be reforged to match the quality. There is too much doubt at the club right now.

Whether or not flies with you, it exists. **** it underpins Ajax and Barcelona, his pragatism forms part of Jose's logic. Guardiola turned Barcelona into one of the greatest teams the world has seen by building and expanding his foundations with his own excellence. It lead to the emergence of players who drive Bayern on as THE team to beat, and the players who went on to be world Champions. If you cant see Jose's own philosophy in your side, perhaps you should be paying more attention to your team, because Jose absolutely has his own philosophy. This Chelsea side is very much one in his philosophy. Thats why its up there as one of the favourites.

And the idea you had a far worse team is a little laughable frankly, hence why he was roundly mocked by just about everyone bar Chelsea fans. he was mocked because he was quite obviously bullshitting, whereas every can see we have a strong group of players, with lots of new faces that need to be tied together. The comparisons aren't even close.

Last edited:
Except you're wrong. You want to know so much money is being spent? To reverse 6 years of under funding. No one is downplaying expectations because the club has one major expectation: get back into the Champions league. That is the single target this year. If we look better, then great, we adjust aim for top spot. But make no mistake that is United's priority. The rebuild isnt over yet. So don't tell United fans they are downplaying it when everyone involved in the club knows what the number one expectation is right now.

We are'n't gunning for the title. We are gunning for the CL, with an aim to revise in Jan, hence the chase for Strootman. If we are in good shape then and he comes in, then we will gun for the title. The squad is strong, but we re not quite a team yet, and some of the depth is raw. Its not having your cake and eating its understanding what makes a winning side, something we know about more than just about anyone in the league. The mentality needs to be reforged to match the quality. There is too much doubt at the club right now.

Whether or not flies with you, it exists. **** it underpins Ajax and Barcelona, his pragatism forms part of Jose's logic. Guardiola turned Barcelona into one of the greatest teams the world has seen by building and expanding his foundations with his own excellence. It lead to the emergence of players who drive Bayern on as THE team to beat, and the players who went on to be world Champions. If you cant see Jose's own philosophy in your side, perhaps you should be paying more attention to your team, because Jose absolutely has his own philosophy. This Chelsea side is very much one in his philosophy. Thats why its up there as one of the favourites.

And the idea you had a far worse team is a little laughable frankly, hence why he was roundly mocked by just about everyone bar Chelsea fans. he was mocked because he was quite obviously bullshitting, whereas every can see we have a strong group of players, with lots of new faces that need to be tied together. The comparisons aren't even close.

1. Regardless of whether their were 6 years of underfunding, you just spent a boatload of money and added serious quality to a squad that was EPL champions just last year. Yes the rebuild isn't over yet but you have adequately tacked MOST of the weaknesses in your squad. You are only involved in two competitions this season. Your priority may be Top 4 but this squad is one that should be challenging for the title and if you don't get close at the end of the season then obviously the players and manager have underperformed

2. What mentality? You make it sound like United haven't won a trophy for ten years. They were EPL champions just last year. Most of the squad that won the league still play for United. Just because Moyes ****** up for one season doesn't suddenly mean that the players have become losers overnight. To that same squad, you added Falcao who has won championships in Portugal and Di Maria who just won La Decima as well as Mata who has won numerous trophies with Spain and Chelsea. So don't make excuses about mentality. The quality and mentality both are there. One season of bad performances doesn't suddenly mean everyone develops an inferior mentality

3. You completely misunderstood my point. People say that top 4 would be acceptable because LVG needs time to bed in his philosophy. Yes that is true but that doesn't mean it is justifiable for United to scrap into the Top 4 at the end of the season. They should be challenging for the title regardless considering the quality of their squad and the money spent. I don't see how this is an unfair burden especially if LVG really is the best manager in the world as he has previously claimed. Not saying he should win the title but if you think the squad have performed well as long as they attain 4th place despite being 30 points off top then you are delusional

4. This is probably the most hilarious point I have seen. Mate, United's squad is far stronger than Chelsea's squad was last year. United have a fantastic attacking unit and 3 world-class strikers. Chelsea had ******* Fernando Torres as the main striker. United's attacking unit consists of players such as Mata and Di Maria who are in their prime. Same can't be said of the likes of Hazard and Oscar last year. Chelsea's midfield was as bad as United's midfield till Matic joined. The only area of the pitch where Chelsea were better is probably defense but not by much. Chelsea also had CL to contend with which United don't. So please don't try to kid yourself. Jose got mocked when he said Chelsea weren't title challengers despite the inferior squad and the fact that he also needed time to bed in his philosophy and mentality. Same will happen to LVG if he claims that united are not title challengers

1. Regardless of whether their were 6 years of underfunding, you just spent a boatload of money and added serious quality to a squad that was EPL champions just last year. Yes the rebuild isn't over yet but you have adequately tacked MOST of the weaknesses in your squad. You are only involved in two competitions this season. Your priority may be Top 4 but this squad is one that should be challenging for the title and if you don't get close at the end of the season then obviously the players and manager have underperformed

2. What mentality? You make it sound like United haven't won a trophy for ten years. They were EPL champions just last year. Most of the squad that won the league still play for United. Just because Moyes ****** up for one season doesn't suddenly mean that the players have become losers overnight. To that same squad, you added Falcao who has won championships in Portugal and Di Maria who just won La Decima as well as Mata who has won numerous trophies with Spain and Chelsea. So don't make excuses about mentality. The quality and mentality both are there. One season of bad performances doesn't suddenly mean everyone develops an inferior mentality

3. You completely misunderstood my point. People say that top 4 would be acceptable because LVG needs time to bed in his philosophy. Yes that is true but that doesn't mean it is justifiable for United to scrap into the Top 4 at the end of the season. They should be challenging for the title regardless considering the quality of their squad and the money spent. I don't see how this is an unfair burden especially if LVG really is the best manager in the world as he has previously claimed. Not saying he should win the title but if you think the squad have performed well as long as they attain 4th place despite being 30 points off top then you are delusional

4. This is probably the most hilarious point I have seen. Mate, United's squad is far stronger than Chelsea's squad was last year. United have a fantastic attacking unit and 3 world-class strikers. Chelsea had ******* Fernando Torres as the main striker. United's attacking unit consists of players such as Mata and Di Maria who are in their prime. Same can't be said of the likes of Hazard and Oscar last year. Chelsea's midfield was as bad as United's midfield till Matic joined. The only area of the pitch where Chelsea were better is probably defense but not by much. Chelsea also had CL to contend with which United don't. So please don't try to kid yourself. Jose got mocked when he said Chelsea weren't title challengers despite the inferior squad and the fact that he also needed time to bed in his philosophy and mentality. Same will happen to LVG if he claims that united are not title challengers
1) the squad may be a title challenging squad but football is not just about the squad. On paper we have one of not the best attacking outfits in the league, but that means nothing if they can't play together under the same philosophy, which brings me to...

2) It is the same squad won it under SAF but since then we have had crushing injuries, awful performances and our fear factor has been lost.New management and philosohies have been installed, but tell me, would you be happy go lucky and full of optimism if you fell from top dog to 7th in a year, having a lot of your best players out injured and the media opposition fans laughing at you and your own fans angry? No you wouldn't.

3) Do you understand how close top four is going to be? it isn't like 6 years ago when the top four was always United, Chelsea, Arsenal and the Pool, but now we have City, Tottenham and Everton as well all duking it out for the top 4. There will be a few points in it between 4th and 5th maybe even just one game between them. Next year after the dust has settled and LVG has got what he wanted form the squad we can talk about title challengers. But now, this year we have to adjust to a whole new system and new players and adjust form last years shock. We are being realisitic and not deluding ourselves into thinking that just becuase we have awesome players doesn't hide the fact we have a while to go until we are full strength.

4) Well, LOL. Ours was stronger? Jones, far to rash in tackling, smalling injured far to often, same goes for Rafeal, Flecher, RVP, Carrick, Vidic. Old players like Ferdi and Evra who couldn't cut it anymore. Relying on Cleverly and Jones in midfield and panic buys for Fellaini which was absolute failure and Mata who didn't get off to a great start. You are deluding yourself if you think players like Oscar, Lampard, Ramires, Mikel, Hazard and Mata compared to Cleverly Fellaini Carrick Fletcher, Nani, Young and Valencia 3 of which were injured for majority of the season and the rest played poorly.

Last edited:
1) the squad may be a title challenging squad but football is not just about the squad. On paper we have one of not the best attacking outfits in the league, but that means nothing if they can't play together under the same philosophy, which brings me to...

2) It is the same squad won it under SAF but since then we have had crushing injuries, awful performances and our fear factor has been lost.New management and philosohies have been installed, but tell me, would you be happy go lucky and full of optimism if you fell from top dog to 7th in a year, having a lot of your best players out injured and the media opposition fans laughing at you and your own fans angry? No you wouldn't.

3) Do you understand how close top four is going to be? it isn't like 6 years ago when the top four was always United, Chelsea, Arsenal and the Pool, but now we have City, Tottenham and Everton as well all duking it out for the top 4. There will be a few points in it between 4th and 5th maybe even just one game between them. Next year after the dust has settled and LVG has got what he wanted form the squad we can talk about title challengers. But now, this year we have to adjust to a whole new system and new players and adjust form last years shock. We are being realisitic and not deluding ourselves into thinking that just becuase we have awesome players doesn't hide the fact we have a while to go until we are full strength.

4) Well, LOL. Ours was stronger? Jones, far to rash in tackling, smalling injured far to often, same goes for Rafeal, Flecher, RVP, Carrick, Vidic. Old players like Ferdi and Evra who couldn't cut it anymore. Relying on Cleverly and Jones in midfield and panic buys for Fellaini which was absolute failure and Mata who didn't get off to a great start. You are deluding yourself if you think players like Oscar, Lampard, Ramires, Mikel, Hazard and Mata compared to Cleverly Fellaini Carrick and Fletcher 2 of which were injured for majority of the season.

1. If the players can't play together under the same philosophy then that's LVG's fault for buying them. That should definitely not be used as an excuse to downplay expectations. The quality is there. If LVG can't mould these world class players into a coherent unit then he should be sacked

2. I would be full of optimism but I wouldn't develop a 'loser' mentality either. The players have won many trophies over several years with SAF. One bad season doesn't suddenly mean they lose their winning mentality. Plus you added players such as Falcao, Mata and Di Maria who don't suffer from the same problems that existing united players may have developed under Moyes. So please don't use this excuse about 'mentality'. It's incredibly ambiguous and doesn't make much sense anyways

3. Top 4 is going to be close but your squad is the 3rd best in the whole league. You are only involved in two competitions while the rest of your rivals have European commitments. I am not saying you should win the title but you should definitely be challenging for it. My stance is clear. If you don't come close to challenging for that title then the squad and LVG have underperformed. No two ways about it

4. Instead of pigeonholing yourself into specific areas of the squad. Please look at both squads as a whole. At the minimum, they are equal in overall quality. However Mourinho had European commitments and had to bed in his philosophy yet he was roundly mocked for his comments about Chelsea not winning the title. The same standards should be applied to LVG as well particularly as he has no European commitments and a squad that is equal if not better than the one Mourinho had last season

On one hand, United fans vehemently argue that their squad is very balanced and quality. On the other hand, they downplay expectations. Yes some downplaying is okay but it's ridiculous to think that this squad has done well if it scraps into 4th and doesn't challenge for the title. That's underperformance particularly as you are only involved in EPL and FA Cup. If LVG says that United are not title challengers then he will be mocked as he should be

[video=youtube;0MiVjitccnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiVjitccnE[/video]

Peter: Pretty much every United fan post-transfer window

Brian: Every other Premier League club

Back