The Manchester United Thread

Some famous quotes from last season from mainly ManU fans:

"I like how you cherry pick when Jose is playing the media game and when he is not to suit you/him.
You've all been wheeling out the excuse that you're in transition for about 5 seasons now. The best teams expect to win regardless of whether they're in "transition" or not, anything else is bitterly disappointing. I fail to see how you can go into a season being satisfied that what's being "built" is good and not wanting anything this year. You're supposed to want to win every single season."

"
Amazing how Chelsea fans are so content with writing themselves off."

"
Last year when Benitez finished 3rd this thread was up in arms about how Chelsea always has to challenge for trophies.
This year Mourinho said they're not challenging for trophies and half of fanbase just sheep-accepts it and goes " OK , we'll do it next year". "

"
So? Realistically City had a way better squad than us last year, but you'd never hear Fergie coming out and saying "They're better, but there's always next year lads"."

"
Maybe not pole position, but you were definitely one of the two most likely winners. According to Jose top 4 was the aim.
Laughable, really.
"

Some things come back and bite you in the ***, don't they?

Some famous quotes from last season from mainly ManU fans:

"I like how you cherry pick when Jose is playing the media game and when he is not to suit you/him.
You've all been wheeling out the excuse that you're in transition for about 5 seasons now. The best teams expect to win regardless of whether they're in "transition" or not, anything else is bitterly disappointing. I fail to see how you can go into a season being satisfied that what's being "built" is good and not wanting anything this year. You're supposed to want to win every single season."

"
Amazing how Chelsea fans are so content with writing themselves off."

"
Last year when Benitez finished 3rd this thread was up in arms about how Chelsea always has to challenge for trophies.
This year Mourinho said they're not challenging for trophies and half of fanbase just sheep-accepts it and goes " OK , we'll do it next year". "

"
So? Realistically City had a way better squad than us last year, but you'd never hear Fergie coming out and saying "They're better, but there's always next year lads"."

"
Maybe not pole position, but you were definitely one of the two most likely winners. According to Jose top 4 was the aim.
Laughable, really.
"

Some things come back and bite you in the ***, don't they?

HAHAHAHA top quality mate ... I remember some of these quotes so well. Throw in the fact that LVG only has two competitions to focus on and a squad that is similar in quality if not better than the one Jose had at the start of last season with both managers being in their first season and you can see the immense hypocrisy in the general sentiment among United fans now

I also remember clearly that the entire first paragraph was written by one of the same people who was so vehemently attacking me for daring to suggest that United are title contenders

Last edited:
Except you're wrong. You want to know so much money is being spent? To reverse 6 years of under funding. No one is downplaying expectations because the club has one major expectation: get back into the Champions league. That is the single target this year. If we look better, then great, we adjust aim for top spot. But make no mistake that is United's priority. The rebuild isnt over yet. So don't tell United fans they are downplaying it when everyone involved in the club knows what the number one expectation is right now.

We are'n't gunning for the title. We are gunning for the CL, with an aim to revise in Jan, hence the chase for Strootman. If we are in good shape then and he comes in, then we will gun for the title. The squad is strong, but we re not quite a team yet, and some of the depth is raw. Its not having your cake and eating its understanding what makes a winning side, something we know about more than just about anyone in the league. The mentality needs to be reforged to match the quality. There is too much doubt at the club right now.

Whether or not flies with you, it exists. **** it underpins Ajax and Barcelona, his pragatism forms part of Jose's logic. Guardiola turned Barcelona into one of the greatest teams the world has seen by building and expanding his foundations with his own excellence. It lead to the emergence of players who drive Bayern on as THE team to beat, and the players who went on to be world Champions. If you cant see Jose's own philosophy in your side, perhaps you should be paying more attention to your team, because Jose absolutely has his own philosophy. This Chelsea side is very much one in his philosophy. Thats why its up there as one of the favourites.

And the idea you had a far worse team is a little laughable frankly, hence why he was roundly mocked by just about everyone bar Chelsea fans. he was mocked because he was quite obviously bullshitting, whereas every can see we have a strong group of players, with lots of new faces that need to be tied together. The comparisons aren't even close.

Brilliant Mike, just brilliant!

6 new players all from different leagues and countries. All 6 players are for first team. On top of that we have new manager who works completely different from any of our last managers.

It takes time to settle and build a team no matter what anyone says.

6 new players all from different leagues and countries. All 6 players are for first team. On top of that we have new manager who works completely different from any of our last managers.

It takes time to settle and build a team no matter what anyone says.

Of course it takes time. My point with the previous post was that people like to talk **** about other teams, but go defensive when their team goes through the same situation. How many Chelsea fans are you seeing now saying that we are still rebuilding and we have no objective? By all accounts we should be winning the title this year, everything else would be a disappointment.

Of course it takes time. My point with the previous post was that people like to talk **** about other teams, but go defensive when their team goes through the same situation. How many Chelsea fans are you seeing now saying that we are still rebuilding and we have no objective? By all accounts we should be winning the title this year, everything else would be a disappointment.

Except Chelsea fans were saying that during the last few games in the season when Chelsea had realistic chance of winning the league.

Except Chelsea fans were saying that during the last few games in the season when Chelsea had realistic chance of winning the league.

And you are doing it at the start of the season, when even Burnley still has a chance to finish 1st.

1. Regardless of whether their were 6 years of underfunding, you just spent a boatload of money and added serious quality to a squad that was EPL champions just last year. Yes the rebuild isn't over yet but you have adequately tacked MOST of the weaknesses in your squad. You are only involved in two competitions this season. Your priority may be Top 4 but this squad is one that should be challenging for the title and if you don't get close at the end of the season then obviously the players and manager have underperformed

2. What mentality? You make it sound like United haven't won a trophy for ten years. They were EPL champions just last year. Most of the squad that won the league still play for United. Just because Moyes ****** up for one season doesn't suddenly mean that the players have become losers overnight. To that same squad, you added Falcao who has won championships in Portugal and Di Maria who just won La Decima as well as Mata who has won numerous trophies with Spain and Chelsea. So don't make excuses about mentality. The quality and mentality both are there. One season of bad performances doesn't suddenly mean everyone develops an inferior mentality

3. You completely misunderstood my point. People say that top 4 would be acceptable because LVG needs time to bed in his philosophy. Yes that is true but that doesn't mean it is justifiable for United to scrap into the Top 4 at the end of the season. They should be challenging for the title regardless considering the quality of their squad and the money spent. I don't see how this is an unfair burden especially if LVG really is the best manager in the world as he has previously claimed. Not saying he should win the title but if you think the squad have performed well as long as they attain 4th place despite being 30 points off top then you are delusional

4. This is probably the most hilarious point I have seen. Mate, United's squad is far stronger than Chelsea's squad was last year. United have a fantastic attacking unit and 3 world-class strikers. Chelsea had ******* Fernando Torres as the main striker. United's attacking unit consists of players such as Mata and Di Maria who are in their prime. Same can't be said of the likes of Hazard and Oscar last year. Chelsea's midfield was as bad as United's midfield till Matic joined. The only area of the pitch where Chelsea were better is probably defense but not by much. Chelsea also had CL to contend with which United don't. So please don't try to kid yourself. Jose got mocked when he said Chelsea weren't title challengers despite the inferior squad and the fact that he also needed time to bed in his philosophy and mentality. Same will happen to LVG if he claims that united are not title challengers
Except he's already said it and most media agree. Good one

And you are doing it at the start of the season, when even Burnley still has a chance to finish 1st.

Yeah because we have to be realistic and signing new players wont fix everything instantly.

HAHAHAHA top quality mate ... I remember some of these quotes so well. Throw in the fact that LVG only has two competitions to focus on and a squad that is similar in quality if not better than the one Jose had at the start of last season with both managers being in their first season and you can see the immense hypocrisy in the general sentiment among United fans now

I also remember clearly that the entire first paragraph was written by one of the same people who was so vehemently attacking me for daring to suggest that United are title contenders
Work out the difference between being seen as title contenders and being one. Then come back to this thread. United are club that is seen to win everything. No one in or the club believes they can currently do it this year. Note currently. So yeah you're still wrong about expectations. Because the club still aren't expecting a title run.

Chelsea didn't have anywhere near the drop off. That's a fact. Right now no is thinking about the title seriously. Come back in January

Yeah because we have to be realistic and signing new players wont fix everything instantly.

As before, i completely agree with you. I said if a few days ago, I believe you will finish outside top 4, but that is a personal opinion, based on nothing else other than personal beliefs. On paper you have a very strong squad, other that the defence, which is decent in it's current state, at most.
The question is, why are Chelsea fans who had no high hopes about last season "unbelievable", "brainwashed by Jose", "satisfied with nothing", while it's ok for United fans to be like that now, because LvG said so, and the media agrees? Small team mentality settled in after 1 bad season?
Double standards, at it's best.

The original point was the fans were downplaying expectations. Since the club only currently expects top 4, then fans can't be playing them down. That doesn't stop everyone dreaming of a title chase. But that's clearly not the same thing. Media consensus, for whatever that is worth given how much they flip flop, is that United aren't up for a title challenge. Yet. What no one is understanding is that expectations change. If were are second in jan and 2 points off the top, you better believe he will be asked to WIN it if possible. But right now we are not in a position for that.

As before, i completely agree with you. I said if a few days ago, I believe you will finish outside top 4, but that is a personal opinion, based on nothing else other than personal beliefs. On paper you have a very strong squad, other that the defence, which is decent in it's current state, at most.
The question is, why are Chelsea fans who had no high hopes about last season "unbelievable", "brainwashed by Jose", "satisfied with nothing", while it's ok for United fans to be like that now, because LvG said so, and the media agrees? Small team mentality settled in after 1 bad season?
Double standards, at it's best.
You're comparing very different stages. Not double standards at all. As I said, if we were in second. Things would change.

The fact of the matter is -

The board expect Europe.
The fans want Europe.
The press expect us to get back to Europe.

How this is downplaying expectations I will never know? Not once as anyone linked with the club fans,board,manager,press said we will win the title at the start of the season. Come January if the team has gelled and players learnt the philosophy and we are 2-3 points off top I expect expectations to change, even go back in the market.

The original point was the fans were downplaying expectations. Since the club only currently expects top 4, then fans can't be playing them down. That doesn't stop everyone dreaming of a title chase. But that's clearly not the same thing. Media consensus, for whatever that is worth given how much they flip flop, is that United aren't up for a title challenge. Yet. What no one is understanding is that expectations change. If were are second in jan and 2 points off the top, you better believe he will be asked to WIN it if possible. But right now we are not in a position for that.

You honestly think I or any other Chelsea fan in this world didn't expect a miracle last year in the final games, so that we may go on top? We lost to Palace, and Sunderland, and that was it.
You cannot be disappointed, when you expect nothing, can you?
Last years objective: build a competitive squad. Check
This years objective: Win the title. So far so good.

My intentions are not to start a personal crusade with United fans, far from it, but just because we accepted our managers words, that we have no title winning objectives, doesn't make us people who suffer from an inferiority complex, or that we're brainwashed. We can talk all we want, but in the end LvG, Jose, or any other manager, knows better what his team is capable of.

Whoa... when I wake up I want to read about Di Maria and Falcao jumping around Old Trafford with little bunnies, kitties and puppies, not Chelsea fans dictating what United fans should expect this season.

Last edited:
Whoa... when I wake up I want to read about Di Maria and Falcao jumping around Old Trafford with little bunnies, kitties and puppies, not Chelsea fans dictating what United fans should expect this season.

Nobody is dictating you what to expect. But nobody expects United fans to dictate other teams fans what to expect too. That was the whole point of the discussion.

Nobody is dictating you what to expect. But nobody expects United fans to dictate other teams fans what to expect too. That was the whole point of the discussion.
It might have been your point. But it wasn't alcaraz's. He did try to dictate that. And he was inaccurate

Back