The Manchester United Thread

Some news regarding Depay. United have been in touch with him and his agent and United made initial offer.

EDIT: This is pure ITK, but it came from a guy I trust.

Young's contract is interesting, because he is ready to take a pay cut to stay. We've all slated him in the past, but certainly deserves an extension to stay.

Young's contract is interesting, because he is ready to take a pay cut to stay. We've all slated him in the past, but certainly deserves an extension to stay.
Agree and is a class touch on Youngs part. Think now he is edging near 30 maybe should give him 1 yr rolling.

Probably because he realises this is his best chance at a trophy. Plus, only place probably where he'll get the salary he's getting atm.

The wages young will be getting on a pay cut would still probably top what he'd get elsewhere by a good 10-30k.

I was one of the people who wanted him gone last summer but I have to say his attitude and commitment to the cause this season has been fantastic, what I would love to see from everyone who wears the shirt.

I was one of the people who wanted him gone last summer but I have to say his attitude and commitment to the cause this season has been fantastic, what I would love to see from everyone who wears the shirt.

He's been one of best players this season and is certainly keeping Di Maria out on merit. Never let his head go down despite all the flak he got. More than happy to have him as one of the 4 wingers (Di Maria, Depay and Mata the others)

He's been one of best players this season and is certainly keeping Di Maria out on merit. Never let his head go down despite all the flak he got. More than happy to have him as one of the 4 wingers (Di Maria, Depay and Mata the others)

Im not sure he will sustain it for next year. But I admit Im biased cos I never liked him.

Right so, here is the squad depth of the Manchester United defence:

RB: Valencia**, Rafael

CB: Smalling*, Jones*, Evans*, Rojo*, McNair, Blackett, Thorpe

LB: Shaw, Blind**, Young**

Key:
* = Can play in other positions in defence
** = Not natural position, but can play there

It's clear that we have strength in rotation, but not necessarily in personnel. Particularly at both full back positions. Here is the scenario: you are Louis Van Gaal, it's the end of the season, and you look to your defence. You're preparing for changes. Here are the questions:

(a) Who is, if anyone, coming in? Explain why.
(b) If you were to sell anyone, transfer or otherwise, who would it be? Reason(s).
(b) If you were to select your starting back four, from afresh, what would it be? Explain.

Key:

It's clear that we have strength in rotation, but not necessarily in personnel. Particularly at both full back positions. Here is the scenario: you are Louis Van Gaal, it's the end of the season, and you look to your defence. You're preparing for changes. Here are the questions:

(b) If you were to sell anyone, transfer or otherwise, who would it be? Reason(s).
(b) If you were to select your starting back four, from afresh, what would it be? Explain.

(a) Hummels will come in imo due to him being a top CB, LVG has admitted he likes him and is a brilliant ball playing CB and fits the philosophy. Can see Clyne coming in as an option at RB and is cheap and had a good season.

(b) I would Evans as he has regressed and don't think he will improve or get back to a decent standard. Thorpe will be gone as there have been talks he is not going to get a new contract, which is strange as I thought he was better than Keane,Mc Nair, Blackett etc.

(c) If I was to pick my starting 4 for the 1st game of next season, it would be Valencia-Smalling-Hummels-Shaw. That defence has everything imo. Pace on the wings going for overlapping in LVG system from the FBs plus they are good in defence and can get up and down all day. And the CBs are perfect Hummels has the leadership and coolness with the ball at his feet and good at building up play from the back which is key with possession style football we are now playing. Smalling has pace and good recovery skills and is a beast in the air.

Hope I did that right :)

LOL would be funny if that was identical to LVGs summer list. Boy what a summer that would be Pogba,Clyne,Hummels,Depay,Martinez :)

If only Martinez was 3 years younger he would be good signing.

Key:

(a) For defense, it should ideally be Hummels and Clyne. Hummels, because we have lacked a leader at the back and an organiser of defence ever since Vidic left. Plus, he is a really good Ball Playing defender, loyal and rather down to earth and responsible. Would love to have Hummels here. Clyne, because we have no backup at RB other than Valencia, and Rafael isn't rated by LvG (I'm not even going to talk about Jones/Smalling. Both are wasted at RB, since this is not FM (Jones is outstanding at RB in FM))

(b) Dunno the situation with Thorpe, but don't think he has signed a new contract, so he'll probably be out. McNair and Blackett will probably be loaned out, hopefully to a PL club. Think Evans will be gone, his suspension didn't really help him, especially since he was close to finding some form before it happened.

(c) Sadly enough, I'd still have Valencia as my starter until Clyne has properly adjusted to United. So, it'd probably be
Valencia - Smalling - Hummels - Shaw.
Jones and Rojo should get plenty of games, so it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

BTW, you forgot that both Blackett and McNair can play in multiple positions. Blackett as a CB and LB;; McNair as RB and CB.

Last edited:
(a) For defense, it should ideally be Hummels and Clyne. Hummels, because we have lacked a leader at the back and an organiser of defence ever since Vidic left. Plus, he is a really good Ball Playing defender, loyal and rather down to earth and responsible. Would love to have Hummels here. Clyne, because we have no backup at RB other than Valencia, and Rafael isn't rated by LvG (I'm not even going to talk about Jones/Smalling. Both are wasted at RB, since this is not FM (Jones is outstanding at RB in FM))

(b) Dunno the situation with Thorpe, but don't think he has signed a new contract, so he'll probably be out. McNair and Blackett will probably be loaned out, hopefully to a PL club. Think Evans will be gone, his suspension didn't really help him, especially since he was close to finding some form before it happened.

(c) Sadly enough, I'd still have Valencia as my starter until Clyne has properly adjusted to United. So, it'd probably be
Valencia - Smalling - Hummels - Shaw.
Jones and Rojo should get plenty of games, so it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

BTW, you forgot that both Blackett and McNair can play in multiple positions. Blackett as a CB and LB;; McNair as RB and CB.
Don't think Mc Nair or Blackett will get loaned out as LVG has history of not loaning youngsters he rates that he has around the first team.

If we sell Evans I would keep McNair in the squad rather than loan him out. He's shown he can fit in the team in the games he's played and was excellent against Chelsea going forward despite not being in the first team for a while. It was like he'd been there years. Had Chelsea attacked it could have been very different for him but from what he's done so far he seems a good enough squad player for now to step in when needed and maybe start games against lower opposition. All the while training with the first team squad and continuing to learn from LVG. I think he'd learn a lot more here than say going to a Championship club on loan.

I would send Wilson out on loan. Preferably to a Championship club close to home. Bolton would be my first choice seeing as they have an aging Gudjonsen and Heskey but would have to great youngsters in Wilson and Zach Clough. If not Bolton then maybe Burnley because it looks like Ings is going. But obviously with Burnley raking the money in from the Premier League they will probably opt to spend on a striker in an attempt to get straight back.

I would loan Blackett out. With a view to selling him possibly at the end of next season. I just dont rate him personally but I'd love him to prove me wrong.

I would also loan out Januzaj to a Premiership club and see how he progresses starting most games. He's not progressed enough for me so will be interesting to see him playing regularly in his preferred position and see how he gets on.