The Manchester United Thread

They've been ok but every goal we've conceded has been **** poor it's hard to credit them too much.

Counter-attacking relies on causing opposition errors. Yes, the goals have been poor to concede, but it's inherent in the style of play that forces teams to push forward in numbers.

Look at the positives lads...

Got a big lead over 5th place
4 games to go against West Brom, Crystal Palace, Arsenal, Hull
Arsenal might lose today vs Chelsea
Carrick, Rojo and Jones might be back for next game
Liverpool have been... mediocre this season and they probably won't catch us.

That 3rd goal should never of counted

[from /u/micotinate from Reddit]

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
interfering with play
interfering with an opponent
gaining an advantage by being in that position

These terms are clarified as:

interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball
"interfering with an opponent" means preventing an opponent from playing the ball or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the players line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
"gaining an advantage" means playing the ball after it rebounds from the woodwork or a deliberate save

[from /u/micotinate from Reddit]

These terms are clarified as:

Lukaku was when ball was played to him Smalling stepped up as Lukaku made an initial move towards the pass. Smalling stepping up made Valencia stop tracking his man as Lukaku was clearly offside and interfering with play.

Assuming Liverpool win all their remaining games (lol), 8 points from our remaining four games will guarantee us top four. Our remaining four fixtures:

West Brom (H)
Palace (A)
Arsenal (H)
Hull (A)

We're big favourites for West Brom at home, but those remaining three games aren't exactly straight forward if we keep up our away form and don't get Carrick back. I really don't want to be going to a relegation threatened Hull on the last day of the season needing something to secure top four.

The plus side - Liverpool have zero margin for error and we have a superior GD. Them dropping points yesterday was huge in hindsight and if they drop any more points, it means we'll probably get top four with a win against West Brom and another against either Palace, Arsenal or Hull. Top 4 safe imo!

Relax guyz...it's a setback but we must bounce back...

Hopefully we get carrick back

But if we carrick is still out, Van gaal should take a leaf out of Jose's book: Adjust to the team strengths and hide the weaknesses....or rather play strategically rather than beautifully

Relax guyz...it's a setback but we must bounce back...

Hopefully we get carrick back

But if we carrick is still out, Van gaal should take a leaf out of Jose's book: Adjust to the team strengths and hide the weaknesses....or rather play strategically rather than beautifully
Was just one of those days were nothing went right and things went against us. We have been excellent lately no need for knee jerk reactions on here! :)

Well, no need to hit the panic button yet, but there are still worrying signs. Carrick is our biggest strength, and when he's injured, it's our biggest weakness. Desperately need a replacement for him, considering his age and injury record. I thought Blind was the perfect replacement for him, but Blind, while having excellent positional sense, cannot dictate play the way Carrick does. Plus, him running ahead like a regista probably put more pressure on defence.

I know Gundogan is being touted with us, does anyone have any idea how he is as a deep lying playmaker? I've always kinda seen him more as a box to box midfielder..

Well, no need to hit the panic button yet, but there are still worrying signs. Carrick is our biggest strength, and when he's injured, it's our biggest weakness. Desperately need a replacement for him, considering his age and injury record. I thought Blind was the perfect replacement for him, but Blind, while having excellent positional sense, cannot dictate play the way Carrick does. Plus, him running ahead like a regista probably put more pressure on defence.

I know Gundogan is being touted with us, does anyone have any idea how he is as a deep lying playmaker? I've always kinda seen him more as a box to box midfielder..
Does both for Dortmund but is better with DM behind/next to him ala Sahin.

We can put big pressure on City and Arsenal for 2nd place next weekend if we beat WBA at home on Sat night. With them having 2 tough away games.

And better on the ball than Herrera.
I would say there the same. Just been having this convo with a load of mates from footy, and the only thing Gundogan is far better than Herrera at is his long range passing. Herrera also has a better attacking threat. Also Gundogan can dictate tempo better. Should play side by side.

Hernandez on fire atm for Madrid can see why Madrid have changed there tune about taking up the option to buy.

Back