The Manchester United Thread

30m for some random brazilian, yeah sure......

Firmino on the other hand.

The signing of Depay and potentially Firmino would give us lots of options, fluidity, pace and flair in our attack.

A spearhead forward of Rooney/Firmino/Wilson competing for one position would be reasonable going into the new season, with Depay another option if push comes to shove.

Depay/Young/Di Maria/Fimino all able to play in either wing position, with Mata available on the right

Rooney/Firmino/Mata/Fellaini all capable of playing as a #10 if we revert to a 4-2-3-1, or even as the attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3.

I'd expect to lose RVP, Hernandez, Nani, and Januzaj (loan) btw.

I would say Firmino would be back up to Rooney primarily, although his versatility, as well as the volume of fixtures we'll have next season, will allow him plenty of game time.

Really hope we get him given that he's slotted in so well for Brazil in that role, he's ridiculously cheap in today's market, and he has the tenacity, energy and pace to really thrive in the Premier League. He reminds me of a rough, unpolished version of Alexis Sanchez in many ways. Can only hope he can reach those heights.

I would say Firmino would be back up to Rooney primarily, although his versatility, as well as the volume of fixtures we'll have next season, will allow him plenty of game time.

Really hope we get him given that he's slotted in so well for Brazil in that role, he's ridiculously cheap in today's market, and he has the tenacity, energy and pace to really thrive in the Premier League. He reminds me of a rough, unpolished version of Alexis Sanchez in many ways. Can only hope he can reach those heights.

OK - But we need players in other positions more!!

A GK (Lloris please!) - a CB (Laporte/Hummels would be nice - the latter wont come defo. But the former despite signing new contract recently WILL come if we pay; we ll probs get Otamendi who is also good) - a CM (Im not sure about Gundogan - would prefer Kondogbia) - a RB (but who?!) and a world class CF (and they re thin on the ground - Not over the moon over Higuain but he DOES seem to be the easiest to prise away!

OK - But we need players in other positions more!!

A GK (Lloris please!) - a CB (Laporte/Hummels would be nice - the latter wont come defo. But the former despite signing new contract recently WILL come if we pay; we ll probs get Otamendi who is also good) - a CM (Im not sure about Gundogan - would prefer Kondogbia) - a RB (but who?!) and a world class CF (and they re thin on the ground - Not over the moon over Higuain but he DOES seem to be the easiest to prise away!

I dunno about Lloris. Levy will most likely demand 50-60M for him, and refuse to negotiate too. I remember him giving out a statement last year about Lloris costing 100M for any club interested in him. Cech or Leno probably?

CB - Really doubt either Laporte or Hummels. Otamendi, probably. We're paying over the odds, but I guess we really don't have a choice. My reckoning, we need 2 CM, and keep Fellaini as a super-sub. I'd be happy with any of Gundogan/Schneiderlin/Kondogbia, although all of them are defensive-ish players. But I guess defensive BTB are liked by LvG, he wanted Strootman originally, anyhow. I'd love Vidal, but doubt that is realistic.

RB - No one of quality available. Shame. Really, keep Rafael and sign Clyne.

CF - We've apparently made a bid for Jackson Martinez. Dunno how much is true, but he'd be a good signing. If not, Lacazette. Then should we look at Higuain..

I've not heard this suggested before, and I'm not sure if he's ever played there, but could Ashley Young be converted into a right back? He's played at left back a number of times and has always impressed me somewhat with his tackling ability (a bit like Giggs in this respect). He's got energy, discipline, pace and can cross well from deep when he has space. The only issue is his size and strength - coincidentally one of Antonio Valencia's biggest strengths, so the two could easily be rotated.

This could be a reasonable stop gap until a proven, talented right back becomes available at the right price for us. It's not ideal admittedly, and a bit weak defensively but an idea at least.

I dunno about Lloris. Levy will most likely demand 50-60M for him, and refuse to negotiate too. I remember him giving out a statement last year about Lloris costing 100M for any club interested in him. Cech or Leno probably?

CB - Really doubt either Laporte or Hummels. Otamendi, probably. We're paying over the odds, but I guess we really don't have a choice. My reckoning, we need 2 CM, and keep Fellaini as a super-sub. I'd be happy with any of Gundogan/Schneiderlin/Kondogbia, although all of them are defensive-ish players. But I guess defensive BTB are liked by LvG, he wanted Strootman originally, anyhow. I'd love Vidal, but doubt that is realistic.

RB - No one of quality available. Shame. Really, keep Rafael and sign Clyne.

CF - We've apparently made a bid for Jackson Martinez. Dunno how much is true, but he'd be a good signing. If not, Lacazette. Then should we look at Higuain..

1. Lloris is the best alternative to DDG available. Plus he's used to the intensity of the EPL. We should be buying quality in place of departing quality. The other alternative is Leno but Id go with Lloris who is more experienced (in the EPL). Dunno why people are suggesting players like Begovic who is frankly not all that.

2. Laporte is more than doable. Its just a matter of paying the increased RC. If we are going to pay over the odds Id rather we pay that for a younger player (and one who s already at least the equal of Otamendi).

3. As for the CM I also would have gone for VIDAL. But I think what we are after is somebody in the Carrick position and that is not box to box. Kondogbia is the ideal choice. Mark my words in two seasons barring injury he'll be in the worlds top 3/4 mfs. Schneiderlin is a good option. Gundogan as I said Im not sure about. Esp after all his recent injuries.

4. Keep Rafael yes! I love him. Not that taken with Clyne tbf.

5. Jackson Martinez is overrated imho. I too would prefer Lacazette but reason I mentioned Higuain (who is far from my ideal option) is that he seems to be the easiest to prize away from his team.

1. Lloris is the best alternative to DDG available. Plus he's used to the intensity of the EPL. We should be buying quality in place of departing quality. The other alternative is Leno but Id go with Lloris who is more experienced (in the EPL). Dunno why people are suggesting players like Begovic who is frankly not all that.

2. Laporte is more than doable. Its just a matter of paying the increased RC. If we are going to pay over the odds Id rather we pay that for a younger player (and one who s already at least the equal of Otamendi).

3. As for the CM I also would have gone for VIDAL. But I think what we are after is somebody in the Carrick position and that is not box to box. Kondogbia is the ideal choice. Mark my words in two seasons barring injury he'll be in the worlds top 3/4 mfs. Schneiderlin is a good option. Gundogan as I said Im not sure about. Esp after all his recent injuries.

5. Jackson Martinez is overrated imho. I too would prefer Lacazette but reason I mentioned Higuain (who is far from my ideal option) is that he seems to be the easiest to prize away from his team.
Laporte is not what we need atm. I have watched all Bilbao game this season and he has been poor compared to last, and not worth his release clause atm. Hence no major interest, he has gone backwards on previous seasons form. And is nowhere near the equal of Otamendi atm. Experience or form wise!

I've not heard this suggested before, and I'm not sure if he's ever played there, but could Ashley Young be converted into a right back? He's played at left back a number of times and has always impressed me somewhat with his tackling ability (a bit like Giggs in this respect). He's got energy, discipline, pace and can cross well from deep when he has space. The only issue is his size and strength - coincidentally one of Antonio Valencia's biggest strengths, so the two could easily be rotated.

This could be a reasonable stop gap until a proven, talented right back becomes available at the right price for us. It's not ideal admittedly, and a bit weak defensively but an idea at least.

Against Villa away he was out most dangerous player playing as LB/LWB but once he switched to RB/RWB he was pretty useless. So he is not the answer after all.

Also we might see different Valencia next season, nothing to back up the claims just that finally all the metals are removed from his ankle so he must be completely pain free, so we might see the Valencia who was not afraid to take on his full back.

Manchester United
@ManUtd

#mufc is delighted to announce that @Memphis has completed his transfer from PSV Eindhoven. #WelcomeMemphis

CHThSElWIAACMm1.jpg

Against Villa away he was out most dangerous player playing as LB/LWB but once he switched to RB/RWB he was pretty useless. So he is not the answer after all.

Also we might see different Valencia next season, nothing to back up the claims just that finally all the metals are removed from his ankle so he must be completely pain free, so we might see the Valencia who was not afraid to take on his full back.

Who do you fancy at right back Sunil? Rafael? Not much value out there at all at the minute

Who do you fancy at right back Sunil? Rafael? Not much value out there at all at the minute

For me it was always Rafael, not sure why he not getting the chance. After that I was hoping for a new RB and not Clyne. Someone like Dani Alves as a short term.

From the team we have, I would rate, Rafael>Valencia>Jones>Young.

I'm also ok with Valencia as he did ok but I'm just hopeful Rafael gets the chance.

I'd be very happy with Kondogbia. And yes, I agree Lloris is the best alternative to DDG, but he is not available. Especially since he has no RC or anything of the sort, it'll literally be crazy, crazy money. Would rather we went for Cech or Leno. Never really wanted Begovic too much from the beginning too, lol.

And yeah, for Carrick position, Gundogan is ideal, he is a DLP. Kondogbia always seemed more of a box to box midfielder to me, dunno if he is a Carrick replacement. He'd be more of Fellaini displacement.. Incidentally, I'm kind of wondering if we should have gone for Pirlo. Still WC despite his age, but I guess his age was literally the stumbling block.

I'd love Rafael to stay here too, but sadly, don't think that's going to happen. Speaking of RB, how is di Sciglio? Any idea? We were linked with him once last season, but nothing after that;;

Higuain may be slightly tougher, think Arsenal will also be after him.. Lacazette would be ideal.

For me it was always Rafael, not sure why he not getting the chance. After that I was hoping for a new RB and not Clyne. Someone like Dani Alves as a short term.

From the team we have, I would rate, Rafael>Valencia>Jones>Young.

I'm also ok with Valencia as he did ok but I'm just hopeful Rafael gets the chance.

I would be inclined to agree but I don't think he rates Rafael at all. I guess we'll know more in preseason. I'd happily stick with those options going into next season, just really don't want to get rid of Rafael and replace him with a Clyne - just not worthwhile.

I'd love Rafael to stay here too, but sadly, don't think that's going to happen. Speaking of RB, how is di Sciglio? Any idea? We were linked with him once last season, but nothing after that

Sadly De Sciglio has been very underwhelming since battling injuries.

A few years back he was unreal and young player of the year, he looked comfortable at right back or left back.

Then he was injured. Not looked anywhere near the same again.

He played around 15 games last season from memory, had some very shaky moments in them too.

I'm hoping he can get a full season and get back to his best.

To be fair, he has had a very poor Milan side to play in, so it's not just him.

I know hes capable of better.

Back