The Manchester United Thread

8fc755ab483b8ac6f242acafae4dbb0b_normal.jpeg
Jonas Giæver @CheGiaevara AS and Marca reporting that Sergio Ramos has today met with his agent and brother René Ramos and his lawyer Julio Senn.

8fc755ab483b8ac6f242acafae4dbb0b_normal.jpeg
Jonas Giæver @CheGiaevara AS state that Ramos is furious with Real Madrid and has decided he wants out. Meeting his closest people professionally in order to...

Follow

Jonas Giæver @CheGiaevara

...make plans for how they will be acting this summer.

Let's say, for arguments sake, a straight up, player for player swap happens with De Gea going to Madrid and Ramos arriving in return.

You happy with that?

Last edited:
Let's say, for arguments sake, a straight up, player for player swap happens with De Ge going to Madrid and Ramos arriving in return.

You happy with that?
Yes would be chuffed with that all things considered. DDG wants to leave anyway and is running out of contract. Ramos is a class player in a position we lack quality and experience.

Let's say, for arguments sake, a straight up, player for player swap happens with De Ge going to Madrid and Ramos arriving in return.

You happy with that?
Yes and no.

No because I do not want DDG to leave what so ever as he has been my favourite player at United ever since he joined, and he is very young and will only get get better for the next 15 years. And to have a GK of his calibre for the better ppart of the next 2 decades means more to me than any defender out there.

But logically yes seeing as lets face it, he will leave and getting Ramos in return would be one **** of a deal and if it does happen then I will start believing in a higher power. and that higher power will be called Ed Woodward

Let's say, for arguments sake, a straight up, player for player swap happens with De Gea going to Madrid and Ramos arriving in return.

You happy with that?

If De Gea had a bigger contract then NO but since he is leaving anyways I would be happy with straight swap.

Straight swap won't happen though, we have to pay few more millions. Also I don't rate Sergio Ramos as highly as many people do, he is accident waiting to happen and rated highly because of his ball playing skills. Pepe is much better pure CB IMO.

If De Gea had a bigger contract then NO but since he is leaving anyways I would be happy with straight swap.

Straight swap won't happen though, we have to pay few more millions. Also I don't rate Sergio Ramos as highly as many people do, he is accident waiting to happen and rated highly because of his ball playing skills. Pepe is much better pure CB IMO.

Define pure CB? We need an all round CB who has good distribution from the back, commanding, has a brutal side to him, we need more nasty players in our team, versatility, Ramos pretty much ticks everything.

Also so I think you're a bit contradicting yourself when you say accident waiting to happen then go on to say Pepe.... he has his silly moments as well.

Worth noting despite Ramos red card record he actually didn't get any this season I believe.

..... Also I don't rate Sergio Ramos as highly as many people do, he is accident waiting to happen and rated highly because of his ball playing skills. Pepe is much better pure CB IMO.

That's always been my take on him. Excellent footballer. Not too clever a defender who's gotten away with it down to the teams/ quality around him and how/ where they play. Utd don't have that luxury.

The comparison for me, that would scare me even more if I were a Utd fan, was 'Sideshow Bob' at Chelsea. Another excellent technical player who was very suspect defensively and got regularly exposed in the English game. Now don't get me wrong. Ramos is far better defensively than Luis. And I'd take him back there over the Brazilian any day of the week. But neither would fill me with any great confidence.

Completely agree eith Peoe being much more of a 'pure' centre half, if also a major liability the way he plays. The one real defender the middle that Madrid have that can defend properly is the one you had no chance of getting. The French fella' Varane.

But like yourself this is a minority view so we'll see how it plays out if Utd do indeed sign him.

You happy with that?

Not particularly.
Thinking of the bigger picture, I'd say Ramos would get a sulk on and start missing Spain.
I spent a lot of time in Sevilla for example and the life style over there (even without millions in the bank) is so much better.

Do you think Ramos would be happy to give up the sunshine, pretty brown eyed girls, great sidewalk tapas bars and swap it for rain, grey buildings and fat single mothers in Juicy Couture tracksuits pushing a buggy down to collect the mickey money?

I don't.

Define pure CB? We need an all round CB who has good distribution from the back, commanding, has a brutal side to him, we need more nasty players in our team, versatility, Ramos pretty much ticks everything.

Also so I think you're a bit contradicting yourself when you say accident waiting to happen then go on to say Pepe.... he has his silly moments as well.

Worth noting despite Ramos red card record he actually didn't get any this season I believe.

Pure CB - Someone who knows how to defend, someone like Vidic, Rio, Terry, Carvalho, Walter Samuel, Puyol, Cannavaro, Maldini, Nesta, Campbell, Stam.

I'm not contradicting myself, Pepe is a nutcase but his discipline record is much better than Ramos. Ramos has what, 150 plus yellow cards and IIRC around 18-20 red cards. That's an awful record.

Pepe is not bad on the ball at all, not as good as Ramos but he is more than capable. He can mark players out of the game, remember Madrid lost to Barca in the semi finals of CL when Pepe was sent of wrongly. Until then he kept Messi quiet playing as DM.

Anyone think we could buy both of Ramos and Otamendi? Id die a happy man seeing that partnership, personally feel it would be amazing.

Pure CB - Someone who knows how to defend, someone like Vidic, Rio, Terry, Carvalho, Walter Samuel, Puyol, Cannavaro, Maldini, Nesta, Campbell, Stam.

Er, most of the guys on your list have been famous for their ball skills.

I'm not contradicting myself, Pepe is a nutcase but his discipline record is much better than Ramos. Ramos has what, 150 plus yellow cards and IIRC around 18-20 red cards. That's an awful record.

Pepe is not bad on the ball at all, not as good as Ramos but he is more than capable. He can mark players out of the game, remember Madrid lost to Barca in the semi finals of CL when Pepe was sent of wrongly. Until then he kept Messi quiet playing as DM.

Not saying Pepe is bad or anything but Ramos has more to his game, Smalling's distribution is terrible so I'd say it would be beneficial to have someone who can play out from the back, not another partner who also has bad ball skills.

Also Ramos can defend well, sure he has his bad moments but who doesn't? He takes risks, fights like a lion and has the ability to offer things more so than Pepe for what we need, which we don't currently have with our CB's atm.

Lots of talk at the moment that we're going to offer Lindegaard a new deal to be our No.2 next season behind Valdes because Spurs want too much for Lloris.

Er, most of the guys on your list have been famous for their ball skills.

And excellent defensive qualities.

Not saying Pepe is bad or anything but Ramos has more to his game, Smalling's distribution is terrible so I'd say it would be beneficial to have someone who can play out from the back, not another partner who also has bad ball skills.

Also Ramos can defend well, sure he has his bad moments but who doesn't? He takes risks, fights like a lion and has the ability to offer things more so than Pepe for what we need, which we don't currently have with our CB's atm.

Like I said Ramos is a good CB with excellent ball playing ability but as a pure CB he is not better than Pepe. Playing out from the back is important but it shouldn't be at the cost of actual defending.

I for one will be happy with Otamendi than Ramos.

.... Playing out from the back is important but it shouldn't be at the cost of actual defending .....

To a wider point, this is getting more and more lost in the modern game.

The amount of 'defenders' that are either athletes or ball playing defenders first and foremost with actual proper defending (yer know, their job) secondary is beyond criminal. It's even worse when it comes to full backs who, with the changing of formations and roles; primary role is being able to get up and down all game and contribute in attack in todays game. With VERY few of them that can actually defend much better than you see on a Sunday park. Often from international footballers with a slew of caps.

And coaches aren't helping either. Prime example as regards my own club was Toure getting slammed for playing the ball square across his own box straight to Anichebe who scored the winner for West Brom a few years back. But the manager was to blame for that as he insists ALL his defenders play their way out of ANY situation. Regardless of how technically gifted they are or not. Heaping added pressure on them and the team as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for playing out from the back. I was brought up on that. But you need to be able to defend first and foremost. Theres times to play, and there's times to just get rid.

For all the stick Mourinho took last year for Chelsea allegedly being boring, he's the only manager that knows how to set up and organise a team to defend properly. Chelsea are so well drilled it's like a throw back. The art of defending, particularly in England, is becoming a sadly lost attribute as the years roll by.

It's what contributes to making the Premier League the most exciting (but FAR from the best), league out there.

Hardly anyone can defend properly.

Last edited:
Lots of talk at the moment that we're going to offer Lindegaard a new deal to be our No.2 next season behind Valdes because Spurs want too much for Lloris.

Say it again this is a mistake, relying on a keeper who is notoriously bad in the air and doesn't command his box well is another problem we do not need. Then add to the fact the physicality of Premier League and he'll need time to adapt, that last game of season surely shown LVG that Valdes will struggle.vFor me this is just bad, then giving Lindegaard a new deal to be a ****** no.2,,,, at least be ****** ambitious and get Leno in to fight Valdes for the position.

In in my opinion if we're going to bed in a new keeper why even do with Valdes... Should be someone younger like Leno anyway.

No chance. LVG and GK coach have said hes not good enough and was one of the main reasons we signed Valdes. LVG said he does not have the ablity he looks for in a GK. And GK coach hinted he was likely to leave.

I am not sure if you have seen how much great information you might find here:

Manchester United Football Club Limited, M16 0RA

There is virtually entire financial history of Manchester United here, including the money spent on transfers etc.

We can probably find the same info about other clubs, but what the heck, let their fans look for it themselves ;P

Back