The Manchester United Thread

Sergio Ramos before we played them in CL.

"I was pleased to get United. They are in the Premier League what Madrid are in Spain perhaps: the values, the history. What they have always represented, the philosophy they transmit, the ideals they inculcated their players with, are similar.
"Few games have the repercussion of this match. And I'd rather play them than a team that's not as big but comes along and surprises you. Besides, I like English football."
Enough to move there? "When you go through a bad spell all sorts of things go through your mind and there have been times when I've had offers from England and Italy but my Dad told me once: 'If you are ever going to leave anywhere, do it through the front door and with your head held high, not when things are going badly.' My dream is to keep playing here but it's true that England's attractive. Friends playing there always talk highly [about it] and it would be a new experience.
"My Dad used to watch a lot and he would say to me when I was a kid: 'Come and watch this. Look at this guy …' I wouldn't say he obliged me to watch it but pretty much. He'd say: 'Today so-and-so is playing; watch him.'" And who did he support? Ramos grins. "Manchester United." Divided loyalty, then? "Haha, no! My dad always had a soft spot for Manchester but my family are Sevilla fans – and now Real Madrid."

Sergio Ramos: 'One mistake against Manchester United and we're out' | Football | The Guardian

Not really. Taking things into consideration. Contracts etc.

Real Madrid: El Manchester ofrecerá a De Gea y 30 millones por Sergio Ramos | Liga BBVA | AS.com
According to As René Ramos met in April in London with United officials,they would pay 12mill € after tax.They also say that Ramos has been learning english

Screw contracts, we need to tell em straight if they want De Gea they pay what he's worth or give us Ramos. They want OUR player who is top 3 keepers in the world and much younger. His value is more than Ramos.

Terrible, as soon as WE start adding money into the offer we are getting wiped over again.

Not really. Taking things into consideration. Contracts etc.

Real Madrid: El Manchester ofrecerá a De Gea y 30 millones por Sergio Ramos | Liga BBVA | AS.com
According to As René Ramos met in April in London with United officials,they would pay 12mill € after tax.They also say that Ramos has been learning english

Nonsense deal for us, paying 30Million plus one of the best GK in the world. On top of that 300K plus per week in wages.

Screw contracts, we need to tell em straight if they want De Gea they pay what he's worth or give us Ramos. They want OUR player who is top 3 keepers in the world and much younger. His value is more than Ramos.
His value aint more than Ramos I would say there pretty equal. We wont get what hes worth not a chance.

xCaMnCfh_normal.png
MailOnline Sport
@MailSport Phil Jones to sign new £80,000-a-week Manchester United contract this week http://dailym.ai/1Rr3aVt

mov9xmQl_normal.png
Times Sport
@TimesSport United face fight for Ramos as Jones nears new 80k deal, @DuckerTheTimes

His value aint more than Ramos I would say there pretty equal. We wont get what hes worth not a chance.

If they won't pay up they obviously don't value him highly enough to have him now. In that case we should keep him and tell them to look elsewhere.

And excellent defensive qualities.

That's just modern football for you. There isn't anyone out there with half the ability Stam had, not to even mention Nesta or Cannavaro, because that's not even light years, that's galaxies away.

Can't buy players that don't exist.

xCaMnCfh_normal.png
MailOnline Sport
@MailSport Phil Jones to sign new £80,000-a-week Manchester United contract this week http://dailym.ai/1Rr3aVt

mov9xmQl_normal.png
Times Sport
@TimesSport United face fight for Ramos as Jones nears new 80k deal, @DuckerTheTimes

HOLA! £80 K a week for Phil Jones, coming off the year he's coming off.

Football today is out of all control.

Nice work if you can get it.

HOLA! £80 K a week for Phil Jones, coming off the year he's coming off.

Football today is out of all control.

Nice work if you can get it.

Wages these days are crazy and unfortunately we have many players on higher wages than they deserve. Jones isn't reliable with his constant injuries, honestly I'd rather sell him and get in someone else - Stones for example. We'd probably get decent money this window from an English club for Jones.

Last edited:
That's just modern football for you. There isn't anyone out there with half the ability Stam had, not to even mention Nesta or Cannavaro, because that's not even light years, that's galaxies away.

Yesm but you can buy defenders who can defend and are known for their defensive abilities rather than ability on the ball. It's a nice skill to have but shouldn't be the primary reason to rate.

There are players like Pique who is excellent on the ball and improved immensely defensively. He is almost as good as it gets for a complete CB.

Thiago Silva most complete for me, reading the game is top class and on the ball he is great

They're still out there and being produced in Country's like Italy and Argentina that traditionally produce defenders who take pride in defending.

There was a debate not so long back in here about Danny Alves for Utd. Where IMHO, a player like Torino's Darmian, who is a defender FIRST and can also contribute going forward when needed without being caught out of position would of been more beneficial to a team so porous at the back.

Just because the standard in England is so poor don't be fooled into thinking quality defenders aren't still out there. Surprised the Argentine fella' at Villarreal who's name escapes me who 'Spurs all but signed isn't being linked to anyone. There's an old school centre half who's comfortable on the ball right there.

Can't believe I missed his name.

Also Bonucci, his range of passing is excellent and a good defender too.

I was devastated when he left Milan! Barely ever picks up cards, gets himself in the right position so often and plays the ball out with ease.

We've never replaced him :(

Otamendi has a lot to his game tbh, last season was his standout but he was good at Porto also. Probably hitting his peak now in terms of age. Take Ramos over him as long as we're not shafted by Madrid.

Back