The Manchester United Thread

I really rate Morgan. Class CM imo and not just because we might sign him. He has been fantastic for Saints and key to them doing well last couple seasons. There win rate when he plays is loads better! Would go up levels in a better team also imo. 25M most probs 5M to much but meh!

Adrien Rabiot was the kid I was trying to think of above. I'm told by French friends he's got more than Kongdobia. But they're the main two that French hopes are on in the middle along with Pogba apparently.

Don't dislike Scneiderlin. Just don't see anything much different in him to other solid players in that role to the point where everyone raves about him.

Last edited:
Adrien Rabiot was the kid I was trying to think of above. I'm told by French friends he's got more than Kongdobia. But thet're the main two that the French hopes are on in the middle along with Pogba apparently.

Don't dislike Scneidelin. Just don't see anything much different in him to other solid players in that role to the point where everyone raves about him.
Morgan is miles better than Rabiot atm. He is very young and very inconsistent, PSG where close to selling him before the FFP trouble. Still rumours now about them getting rid. Talented no doubt, but not there yet.

Morgan is miles better than Rabiot atm. He is very young and very inconsistent, PSG where close to selling him before the FFP trouble. Still rumours now about them getting rid. Talented no doubt, but not there yet.
Schneiderlin is close to, if not a world class player. He's the best French player in a defensive midfield role. He's a bargain at 25 million and to be honest you could argue that he's the best in the league (better than Matic). It's an insult to compare him to Rabiot. He's good enough on the ball to play for any team in the world and probably the best tackler in the league. He's also good in the air and has excellent discipline and composure. Look at the Saint's defensive record to see why he's raved about. The reason that he doesn't start for France is that he plays for Southampton with no European football. I guarantee that if he plays for Arsenal or United, he'd be a regular starter for France, or at least in contention.

Honestly don't get the hype with Schneiderlin.

Everyone revolts about the far cheaper, and more experienced, Song. Honestly see little difference. Two solid pros that do a job. Neither's anything special and neither is anything like a £25 million pound footballer.

The two key ones for Les Bleus in that role going forward to partner Pogba are Kondogbia and the lad at PSG who's name escapes me.

That is an insufficient comparative.

Song, whilst defensively astute and relatively consistent, is quite limited. Outside of protecting the defensive line, he cannot affect what is in front of him all that much. It's why he was left to be the combative force in West Ham's midfield and let Mark Noble dictate the rhythm.

The same, however, cannot be said of Schneiderlin. Even in what Song does best, Schneiderlin has invariably performed better. The latter has averaged more tackles and interceptions - not just more than Song last campaign - but more than any other player in the league since 2012/13.

Additional advantages over Song are that he is also much more comfortable aerially (ninth among central midfielders in the Premier League) and only sixth overall among his class of midfielders in passing distribution in the league. A stone's throw away from our own Michael Carrick at thirteenth in the league.
If it's not his individual performance, it's the intangibles; when Song has not featured for West Ham, his side are W2 D3 L2 in all competitions. For Schneiderlin it's W5 D0 L8. In those eight defeats, Southampton conceded 13 goals. West Ham, seven. Some of them were in the league, and in them Southampton garnered 13 points of a possible 36. That's why he is far and away better than Alex Song.

In regards to his value, it's because he is a premium talent for the role he performs. There is, and has been for a very long time in this country, a paucity of players that are similar to his ilk. It would be the same for nearly any other position. A midfielder that can impact both halves of the field with such consistency and be detrimental to his side's fortunes when unavailable only serves to justify his £25 million value.

People have lauded Nemanja Matic because of how similar a case he is. It's further justified when it's in a winning side, which invariably overshadows his contributions. You only have to look at Sergio Busquets to get the true definition of such a scenario when Barcelona's first eleven comprises of arguably the best front three in football at the moment. Usually it's because of how football's linear statistics in goals and assists that other players' contributions are strongly negated.

Is he worth £25 million, maybe. Injuries, as they always will do, curtailed an otherwise very impressive season. But for a team like Manchester United - or indeed any team that can accommodate him and wants to win titles - would say he is worth every penny based on the abovementioned.

Last edited:
Hey, I sincerely hope you go drop £25 million on him.

Still not convinced you'd be getting much more for your buck than someone like Song in a Utd shirt. Like he was at Arsenal.

Schweinsteiger on the other hand I would much rather stayed in Germany.

Last edited:
Hey, I sincerely hope you go drop £25 million on him.

Still not convinced you'd be getting much more for your buck than someone like Song in a Utd shirt. Like he was at Arsenal.

Schweinsteiger on the other hand I would much rather stayed in Germany.

I would rather not sign anyone than wasting wages on Song. He is not improvement on what we have.

Schneiderlin would be a superb signing. I was raving about him from last 2 years. Proper CM, excellent defensively and good ability on the ball. He is not spectacular and we don't need spectacular signing in that role. We need someone who is very consistent, offers physicality, excellent defensively and good ability on the ball. Schneiderlin ticks all the boxes. Also his work rate is immense.

Schneiderlin is close to, if not a world class player. He's the best French player in a defensive midfield role. He's a bargain at 25 million and to be honest you could argue that he's the best in the league (better than Matic). It's an insult to compare him to Rabiot. He's good enough on the ball to play for any team in the world and probably the best tackler in the league. He's also good in the air and has excellent discipline and composure. Look at the Saint's defensive record to see why he's raved about. The reason that he doesn't start for France is that he plays for Southampton with no European football. I guarantee that if he plays for Arsenal or United, he'd be a regular starter for France, or at least in contention.
It was not me who said Rabiot was better that was Scouse. I would be over the moon if we got Scniederlin!

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness @Sport_Witness Agreement reached. L'Equipe say Schneiderlin off to Man United, and Schweinsteiger too. http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/agreement-french-confirmation-star-to-move-to-man-united …

I hope this is true! Peoples thoughts? L'Equipe are usually reliable, especially with French player!

It was not me who said Rabiot was better that was Scouse. I would be over the moon if we got Scniederlin!

I said French friends of mine say he and Kingdobia are the future hope in France of the National midfield along with Pogba.

Never seen Rabiot. Just passing that on.

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness@Sport_Witness Agreement reached. L'Equipe say Schneiderlin off to Man United, and Schweinsteiger too. http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/agreement-french-confirmation-star-to-move-to-man-united …

I hope this is true! Peoples thoughts? L'Equipe are usually reliable, especially with French player!

Thoughts, because I'm hot and bored:

Schneiderlin we know about. Good,solid pro at what he does. Not worth anything like the fee being banded around IMO but no need to rehash that.

L'Equipe are a horrible publication that have such a pro PSG agenda it's not even funny. Unrelated, just my thought on that publication.

Schweinsteiger is the perfect midfielder for England and top bracket quality in what he does. To bring that experience and quality in at such a low fee would be invaluable to Utd. That would be a great signing.

Last edited:
Thoughts, because I'm hot and bored:

Schneiderlin we know about. Good,solid pro at what he does. Not worth anything like the fee being banded around IMO but no need to rehash that.

L'Equipe are a horrible publication that are have such a pro PSG agenda it's not even funny. Unrelated, just my thought on that publication.

Schweinsteiger is the perfect midfielder for England and top bracket quality in what he does. To bring that experience and quality in at such a low fee would be invaluable to Utd. That would be a great signing.
L'Equipe are reliable though, have spoken to shed loads of French posters on numerous Forums that claim this, but are pro PSG but still right more often than not. IMO Schneiderlin is right up there with Matic IMO.

L'Equipe are reliable though, have spoken to shed loads of French posters on numerous Forums that claim this, but are pro PSG but still right more often than not. IMO Schneiderlin is right up there with Matic IMO.

Yeah, as I said it was an unrelated 'thought.'

I just don't like the pro-PSG agenda they have above everything else.

I can see why some people don't rate Schneiderlin, not a flashy player but **** effective at what he does allowing others more freedom around him. Just like Carrick really, as I think I've already mentioned he would be a great heir to the Carrick throne.

We still need a no.6 midfielder more than anything, which LVG stated at end of season.

I can see why some people don't rate Schneiderlin, not a flashy player but **** effective at what he does allowing others more freedom around him. Just like Carrick really, as I think I've already mentioned he would be a great heir to the Carrick throne.

We still need a no.6 midfielder more than anything, which LVG stated at end of season.
Schniederlin and Schweiny job sorted!

Biggest difference for me between Utd and Liverpool for much of the '90's was two key positions. Goalkeeper and real steal in the middle. Player for player, the more or less all British squad Evans assembled was better than what Ferguson had. We had some ridiculously gifted players right across the board. Travesty that they never won more than a league cup. And that's not downing what Utd did win that decade which was phenomenally consistent or that you didn't have some top bracket players yourselves. Just we didn't have those two key difference makers.

If we'd of had Schmeichel rather than James; and first Ince and then Keane to lead and pull everyone together, as well as boxing the middle of the park off; it could well of been a different story. Cantona was the icing to the cake. But those three were the key differences IMO.

Schmeichel is the single best non-L'pool 'keeper I've ever seen live. And one of my favourite 'keepers of all time. His presence was ridiculous. And like all top pro's, he never settled and never stopped working to be the very best he could be. James had every tribute to be equally as good. Just had nothing between his ears to have any consistency. Schmeichel single handedly won yuse a couple of those titles.

And we had nothing in the middle of the park to compare with first Ince, and then the brilliance for everything he brought in Keane. Even when we signed McAteer to give us that, Evo decided in his wisdom to make him a wing back because of his boundless energy. Put Keane in the middle to both win it and protect, and allow McManaman and co to do their thing (****, Barnes passing from the middle with Keane being his legs like McMahon and Molby would of been worth it alone); and everything could well of been so different through that period.

Point of that long tangent is if Schneiderlin is even half as effective as Keane to this Utd side he'll be worth every penny.

ig_JAvbb_normal.jpeg
Samuel Luckhurst
@samuelluckhurst Plan was all along is #mufc want to bring in Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger, rather than just one of them.

Now thats what im talking about. Seems just a matter of time after all the talk this week. :)

Biggest difference for me between Utd and Liverpool for much of the '90's was two key positions. Goalkeeper and real steal in the middle. Player for player, the more or less all British squad Evans assembled was better than what Ferguson had. We had some ridiculously gifted players right across the board. Travesty that they never won more than a league cup. And that's not downing what Utd did win that decade which was phenomenally consistent or that you didn't have some top bracket players yourselves. Just we didn't have those two key difference makers.

Liverpool in the 90s never had players of United quality except very few.

Players like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Keane, Cantona, Stam, Irwin, Pallister, Stam, Neville, Great Dane always make most of the best ever PL players. They were ridiculously consistent and top quality.

Liverpool never came close to winning the league in 90s and to say they were just 2 players sort of winning league or player by player they were better than ManUtd is just overrating Liverpool players. This is the team that won 8 out of 11 league titles.

Liverpool in the 90s never had players of United quality except very few.

Players like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Keane, Cantona, Stam, Irwin, Pallister, Stam, Neville, Great Dane always make most of the best ever PL players. They were ridiculously consistent and top quality.

Liverpool never came close to winning the league in 90s and to say they were just 2 players sort of winning league or player by player they were better than ManUtd is just overrating Liverpool players. This is the team that won 8 out of 11 league titles.

We came very close on more than one occasion. We just never had the know how, or a Roy Keane type, to drag us over the line. Throw in James concentration wondering and there was the key differences over a season.

The side Evans assembled was ridiculously talented. Redknapp, when fit, McManaman, Fowler, Collymore, Robbie Jones would all of been regulars at Utd. Scales was as classy as they came at centre half when he was fit. Mark Wright, the back end when he turned it around was up there with Pallister. Mickey Thomas, another excellent English player. John Barnes, when his legs went, moving inside and dictating from the middle. And Rushies invaluable experience.

Individually, we had a more talented bunch. Honestly, the only Utd players I'd of take over what we had at that time is Irwin at left back, possibly Pallister for the middle of the defence; Giggs on the left and Keane and Shmeichel. Scholes and Redknapp are a wash. Redknapp had everything and was the complete midfielder but staying healthy was his problem.

Collectively, we could never quite finish the job where to your credit you did.

But the attacking football we played in the '90's was up there and oft times better than anything else in the Country. '96 is a prime example. The football we played on a consistent basis through the 26 game unbeaten run was ridiculous. Every game. We battered Utd twice (even if we did get robbed in Cantona's comeback game at OT) and put ourselves right back in the hunt. Then fell away the run-in culminating in the worst Cup Final ever with both sides scared to lose face to the other. Being able to grind out the wins along with that is what separates the very best. And we couldn't.

I'm not taking away from what you achieved which was phenomenally consistent.

Just bemoaning what we didn't with the talent we had which individually across the board was a better squad.

But having a more talented group is only a smart part in the equation.

Last edited:
Back