The Manchester United Thread

You're grave wrong if you think playing for mediocre club and arguably the biggest club in the world is the same. He has so much to prove. But he fact is, he is one of the better midfielder in England and should suit United style. I would love to see him in Manchester.
This 'mediocre' club conceded less than united in the league and kept many more clean sheets. No need to get disrespectful. Have you even watched Schneiderlin week in week out? Correct me if I'm mistaken, buy hasn't he been team of the year for the past 2 seasons? He had a higher pass completion rate that Matic last season, with more forward passes per game, proving his distribution skills. He also had a higher average pass length than Matic, Busquets and Aturo Vidal in league football. He won more tackles per game than the other three and averages a whooping 2.59 interceptions per game, which no player can come close to. He'd have to score a screamer, while juggling on a tricycle to prove that he's in the league's top 2 for his position.

This 'mediocre' club conceded less than united in the league and kept many more clean sheets. No need to get disrespectful. Have you even watched Schneiderlin week in week out? Correct me if I'm mistaken, buy hasn't he been team of the year for the past 2 seasons? He had a higher pass completion rate that Matic last season, with more forward passes per game, proving his distribution skills. He also had a higher average pass length than Matic, Busquets and Aturo Vidal in league football. He won more tackles per game than the other three and averages a whooping 2.59 interceptions per game, which no player can come close to. He'd have to score a screamer, while juggling on a tricycle to prove that he's in the league's top 2 for his position.
While wearing a neon pink mankiny you forgot :P

This is what I said in the first post. You are just overrating players.

The same can well be said of yourself and Utd's.

It's all subjective.

Again, just because that group didn't win half as much as they should have doesn't take away from the fact they were all top talent individuals. Who's the one opponent Giggs always rates as his hardest? Robbie Jones. The man who stepped up from 4th division Crewe on the Friday to having Giggs in his back pocket at Old Trafford on live TV on the Sunday in one of the best debuts you'll ever see. If injury's hadn't done for him Neville wouldn't of had half as many England caps. And I have the upmost respect for Garry Neville as much as I dislike him. But he was no Rob Jones. McManaman was another World class talent. Barcelona had a £ 15 million offer accepted and he was all but gone the year before he did (which people forget as to being the reason why let his contract run down. Loyalty's a two way streak); and then he went to Madrid and is absolutely loved in the Spanish capital for all he did. You must remember him ripping United to shreds for Madrid when Ronaldo (the Brazilian vintage) got the hat-trick at OT? Fowler, who would of been right up there with Shearer goals wise if injury's hadn't done for him. (And Houllier taking away his passion by selling him when he wanted to be a 1 club career man.). One of the most natural finishers there's ever been. Stan Collymore, the man Ferguson tried his hardest to sign who had it all. Two great feet. Strong. Great in the air. Brilliant technical ability. Just he had a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas. John Barnes, one of the most naturally gifted footballers this Country has ever produced, every bit as good moved inside dictating games from the middle of the park. Jamie Redknapp, another terrifically gifted player who had his career ruined by injury. Everything Scholes was and he could tackle too. The perfect all round midfielder. John Scales, not a classier centre half in the league back then but again, terribly unlucky with injury's. That right there is half the England National side. And I could go on with the rest of the squad. Players like Mickey Thomas, Rushie, Mark Wright, Molby.

It was an absolute travesty that group never achieved what they should have.

You did and all credit to Ferguson. But just because Evans Liverpool didn't doesn't detract from the top class individuals they were.

Last edited:
While wearing a neon pink mankiny you forgot :P

If anyone wants a reference, watch his last 3 games against Arsenal and his performance at old trafford. Against us, he dominates the midfield. When we beat them at the Emirates with a late goal, he pretty much stopped Sanchez, Cazorla and Ramsey from any joy in attacking midfield.

Have you even watched Schneiderlin week in week out? Correct me if I'm mistaken, buy hasn't he been team of the year for the past 2 seasons? He had a higher pass completion rate that Matic last season, with more forward passes per game, proving his distribution skills. He also had a higher average pass length than Matic, Busquets and Aturo Vidal in league football. He won more tackles per game than the other three and averages a whooping 2.59 interceptions per game, which no player can come close to. He'd have to score a screamer, while juggling on a tricycle to prove that he's in the league's top 2 for his position.

Just to back your points up here's the evidence...

View attachment 250255

In my opinion Schneiderlin is definitely worth every penny of that £25m price tag and any club would be lucky to have him. I like yourself rate him very highly.

The same can well be said of yourself and Utd's.

It's all subjective.

No. United players proved it and won the league 8 times. Giggs hardest opponent was always Zanetti.

When Madrid won, Zidane, Ronaldo, Redondo tore us apart IIRC.

Like I said, you are just taking specific incidents to prove they were better than United players, like someone using Anderson's one off game to prove something.

There is a reason none of the Liverpool players except Gerrard are in contention when everyone make their best 11 from PL era.

Giggs - Zanetti the toughest | Football News | Sky Sports

Jamie Redknapp, another terrifically gifted player who had his career ruined by injury. Everything Scholes was and he could tackle too

lol. OK. This is what I was saying all the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, Jones was done in '99 when he first faced Zanetti so that's changed.

He's consistently said prior to that it was Robbie.

Neither here nor there to me, and you can throw up trophies all you like; but on pure individual talent, that was almost 100% British, Evans assembled the best group in the league.

But again, pure talent alone isn't enough.

Just to back your points up here's the evidence...

View attachment 893725

In my opinion Schneiderlin is definitely worth every penny of that £25m price tag and any club would be lucky to have him. I like yourself rate him very highly.

Whoever gets him would be very lucky. If we get him, we'd have a defensive spine of Cech, Koscielny, Schneiderlin. Imo, that's good enough to win the champions league. He's in a different league to Carrick, because not does he only have his passing ability, but he's better in the air, a much better tackler, lesser injury prone and a world class tackle on him.

Yeah, Jones was done in '99 when he first faced Zanetti so that's changed.

He's consistently said prior to that it was Robbie.

Neither here nor there to me, and you can throw up trophies all you like; but on pure individual talent, that was almost 100% British, Evans assembled the best group in the league.

But again, pure talent alone isn't enough.

That's not from 1999, Giggs hardest opponent ever.

Yeah who cares about trophies, overrating is what it matters.

1992-93 - 6th, 25 points behind ManUtd
1993-94 = 8th, 32 points behind ManUtd
1994-95 - 4th, 15 points behind ManUtd
1995-96 - 3rd. 11 points behind ManUtd
1996-97 - 4th, 7 points behind ManUtd
1997-98 - 3rd, 12 points behind ManUtd
1998-99 - 7th, 25 points behind ManUtd
1999-00 - 4th, 24 points behind ManUtd

And I didn't check but in not 1 season Liverpool outscored ManUtd in PL era in 90s.

Maybe for Liverpool fans that was a special group and that's it.

Whoever gets him would be very lucky. If we get him, we'd have a defensive spine of Cech, Koscielny, Schneiderlin. Imo, that's good enough to win the champions league. He's in a different league to Carrick, because not does he only have his passing ability, but he's better in the air, a much better tackler, lesser injury prone and a world class tackle on him.

Obviously there's the rest of the window to go, but as we stand, outside of Mourinho being the only manager to be able to set up and organise his side properly, I don't see any English side anywhere near winning the Champions League.

And even saying that, Chelsea are still not at the very top level as yet.

Arsenal would have to add a consistent 20 goal man as well for me to seriously challenge for the league. Let alone in Europe.

That's not from 1999, Giggs hardest opponent ever.

Yeah who cares about trophies, overrating is what it matters.

1992-93 - 6th, 25 points behind ManUtd
1993-94 = 8th, 32 points behind ManUtd
1994-95 - 4th, 15 points behind ManUtd
1995-96 - 3rd. 11 points behind ManUtd
1996-97 - 4th, 7 points behind ManUtd
1997-98 - 3rd, 12 points behind ManUtd
1998-99 - 7th, 25 points behind ManUtd
1999-00 - 4th, 24 points behind ManUtd

And I didn't check but in not 1 season Liverpool outscored ManUtd in PL era in 90s.

Maybe for Liverpool fans that was a special group and that's it.

Did you just skim through the previous posts and the simple point about individual talent?

The reason's behind that group underachieving have been covered and the props to Ferguson there in.

Amusing how defensive folk get when I started out just using the example of what a massive difference maker Keane was and if Scneiderlin can be even half as effective Utd will have a good player.

Obviously there's the rest of the window to go, but as we stand, outside of Mourinho being the only manager to be able to set up and organise his side properly, I don't see any English side anywhere near winning the Champions League.

Arsenal would have to add a consistent 20 goal man as well for me to seriously challenge for the league. Let alone in Europe.
On the topic of STRs not many about now. Was just thinking who Utd are going to sign if RVP and Hernandez leave.

Morgan Schneiderlin is easily the best defensive midfielder in the league.

Not too sure about that, you take Matic out and the Chelsea team will fall apart. Schneiderlin is undoubtedly excellent though and very close behind. No idea why in the world Chelsea's interest in him has cooled. He would be absolutely perfect for our squad

In the current state, no English club is close to winning the CL with the quality that Bayern, Barcelona and Madrid have. Chelsea need to add much more quality depth to their squad. Arsenal still have a few holes to plug such as a top striker even if Cech comes in. City need to rejuvenate their entire squad. United will take time to find their feet and still have big holes to plug with quality players

Did you just skim through the previous posts and the simple point about individual talent?

The reason's behind that group underachieving have been covered and the props to Ferguson there in.

Amusing how defensive folk get when I started out just using the example of what a massive difference maker Keane was and if Scneiderlin can be even half as effective Utd will have a good player.

You are just overrating Liverpool players and using vague word talent as a defensive mechanism. I'm not defensive and have no reason to be. Just pointing out how flawed your posts are.

We are not talking about nobodies. Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville, Keane, Ince, Hughes were legends of the game and one of the main reason for ManUtd dominance and you are just naming some players who have achieved close to nothing as more talented.

You are just overrating Liverpool players and using vague word talent as a defensive mechanism. I'm not defensive and have no reason to be. Just pointing out how flawed your posts are.

We are not talking about nobodies. Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville, Keane, Ince, Hughes were legends of the game and one of the main reason for ManUtd dominance and you are just naming some players who have achieved close to nothing as more talented.

They're only flawed in your subjective view.

The very same could be said of what your doing with Utd players if your judging on pure individual talent. This isn't a L'pool/ Utd point scoring thing.

But you aren't. You are looking at the whole package and what more they achieved. Which is what everyone in todays transient age does to most all players and teams when picking best ever PL teams etc.

Which is all well and good but totally not subjective to the simple point of individual talent.

Arsene Wenger has nothing to prove in terms of setting out teams defensively. He built the invincible team of Lauren, Cole, Campbell and Toure. They went 955 minutes without conceding and kept 10 clean sheets en route to the final. This means that from the fourth group game to the final, we didn't concede. That's a champions league record. In the past few years, we haven't had the personell I'm defence or goal, however if we sign Schneiderlin, I can say this would be the first solid defence at Arsenal in a decade. Our striker situation all depends of where Walcott will play. If **** play out wide, then we need a striker to offer something different to Giroud. Apart from a few good games, Welbeck hasn't been good enough in front of goal, with 3 league goals. As Henry said, Giroud can't do it all on his own. When Henry wasn't there he had Wiltord, Kanu, Anelka scoring. To be honest a holding midfielder is needed above else. Looking at us last season, going foward is one of our strengths.

The very same could be said of what your doing with Utd players if your judging on pure individual talent. This isn't a L'pool/ Utd point scoring thing.

But you aren't. You are looking at the whole package and what more they achieved. Which is what everyone in todays transient age does to most all players and teams when picking best ever PL teams etc.

Which is all well and good but totally not subjective to the simple point of individual talent.

Yeah I'm not judging ManUtd players on talent isn't it. Not sure how core of the team who won them all are not as talented as the other players who won next to nothing. Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Keane, Neville were not sidekicks to anyone, they were the core players.

It's like arguing Southampton or Spurs players are more talented than Chelsea.

All you have done is name Liverpool players and say they would have been great if they wasn't injured all the time. How does that even compare haha? So who's fault is it that you were **** if these players were so great? The manager? The fitness coaches? Training intensity in general? Fact is when push come to shove they wasn't good enough, and wasn't good enough consistently for 10 years. If the players was better then they WOULD have done better. 10 years of ***** through the 90's suggests otherwise. Even when they moved on they was hardly the greatest was they considering they was individually brilliant. Fowler went to Leeds but it was viduka and Kewell that were the ones. Was fowler and collymore better than Yorke and Cole? I think not. You can say its each set of fans defending their own but I don't think even neutrals would agree with you on this one.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Back