The Manchester United Thread

Toni Krooos to United, Higuain to Arsenal etc. So far all of these reports have come from Twitter or tabloids. All we know so far is that United are interested, based on what we have so far, there seems to be no bid or contract offer yet. I can't see us leaving United unchallenged for Schneiderlin. Arsene Wenger has been tracking him for a decade and rates him very highly.

Wait what? That's not a rumour from this window is it?!

Henry scored 12 goals in 27 games in his last season. He was injured all the time. Also for Barca team he was nowhere near the key player. Barca won because of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o. Apart from them Dani Alves, Pique, Abidal, Biscuits, Yaya were all immense.

Nasri was very inconsistent and he was superb for half a season (first half of season) before moving to City. Consistent destroyed ManUtd? He has one brilliant game against United against ageing Neville and that's it. Arsenal never even came close to winning against ManUtd in his time at Arsenal. 1 good game doesn't make him consistent attacking midfielder.

In which world? Gooners world? When did he score 37 goals? Are you including his goals from pre season and emirates cup? When Ade left Arsenal there was already steady decline in his performance. City were stupid to buy him for that price.

There is no arguably. He wasn't. Kolo Toure was part of best defense in 1 season and that was when Arsenal conceded 26 goals. That record was broken numerous times by ManUtd, Liverpool, Chelsea.

That's to ManCity and other teams who were stupid enough to buy for inflated price and washed up players.

This is stupidly overrating the team for the sake of it. Never mind Europe, Arsenal players weren't even the best in the league. As a squad they were 3rd or 4th best and that's where they ended up every season.

You arguments about Ade, Henry are not correct. You just boosted their numbers for no reason other than to support your argument and overrating of Nasri, Ade and other players is just hilarious.

Also going by your posts, then Wenger underachieved a lot considering you guys had all the best in the league and one of the best in Europe. Defense, GK failing shouldn't be an excuse, Wenger had more than a decade to shape up the squad as exactly as he wanted.

A quick Google search told me that Adebayor scored 34 goals in 50 games during 2007-8 to settle this. The 37 figure as I said, was off the top of my head and I wasn't very far off.

Thierry Henry averaged a goal every 2 champions league games for Barca. I purposely said that before 2009, he was an integral part of Barcelona, scoring 13 goals in 25 odd champions league games. In 2008-9 he scored 19 la liga goals in 25 games. If that wasn't a key player, then I don't know what is.

That Arsenal defence of Lauren, Toure, Campbell and Cole went 10 games without conceding in the Champions league from the third group game to the final without conceding. In that period, we played Juventus, Real Madrid and Vilarreal over 6 games in the group stage without conceding.

Nasri was talked about as a successor to Fabregas before moving to City. He was an easily established world class attacking midfielder that had proved it on the big stage. I never claimed that we were the best in the league at that time. I claimed that we were aguably the best going forward. If you look at the top scorers each year in that period, me pretty much scored a load of goals, but conceded stupid amounts. There way one year where we hit 50 league goals before Christmas. Like I said, a defense and keeper was always lacking in that period, keeping us 4th best. We also had poor squad depth.

Like I said, how logical is it to expect Arsene Wenger to shape up his squad , when he had to spend -£50 million net over 6 years?

Let's think of an equivalent United scenario. If United sold De Gea for £30 million and only signed Fabian Delph for £8 million, would you consider 4th a huge failure next season? In my opinion it isn't, because Delph isn't good enough to win you a title and you've sold a world class keeper in De Gea. Would you call that shaping the United squad to Van Gaal's liking? There was also no Depay signing due to the financial situation. Di Maria, Falcao, Blind, Herrera, Shaw and Rojo never joined due to price and Mata was sold because he didn't feel the team was going to spend the required money to progress. That United team would barely make the top 6, let alone the league.

Wait what? That's not a rumour from this window is it?!

These are from the last 2 windows. If you've looked at some of my last posts, you'll see that the Dailymail had actually reported that United had completed the Kroos signing, signed Vidal and that Arsenal signed Higuain for £50 million.

Manchester United seal £20m deal for Toni Kroos as Louis van Gaal sets sights on Arjen Robben | Daily Mail Online

Arsenal finalise Gonzalo Higuain deal and Wayne Rooney could be next | Daily Mail Online

They also announced that Cech had signed last week and was to be unveiled by last Wednesday.

Petr Cech signs for Arsenal and goalkeeper could face his former club Chelsea in debut | Daily Mail Online

They announced that Morgan Schneiderlin had signed on Saturday, then pulled the article down after he was spotted training today. They literally template their transfer articles. They are pisstake con artists with the rest of them (caughtoffside, daily mirror, the sun, metro).

According to Jamie Jackson, United go out on tour two weeks today, not long now, I'm expecting serious movement soon or else we've failed to deliver what LVG wanted in having a team prepared for pre-season.

Also about the Coleman links, I don't quite get it, ok he's quite a good player but he's still got a significant contract, he's going to cost £20m+ and it's a bit of a joke to spend so much on both LB and RB. He's also 27 I believe which isn't exactly young.

In my opinion we need to scout better if this is true, there are plenty of RB's from abroad who are on similar level but won't pay as much to acquire. If we do insist on paying big for another fullback it has to be on someone who is either at the top already or will develop into one of the best (Like Shaw should do).

Also about the Coleman links, I don't quite get it, ok he's quite a good player but he's still got a significant contract, he's going to cost £20m+ and it's a bit of a joke to spend so much on both LB and RB. He's also 27 I believe which isn't exactly young.

In my opinion we need to scout better if this is true, there are plenty of RB's from abroad who are on similar level but won't pay as much to acquire. If we do insist on paying big for another fullback it has to be on someone who is either at the top already or will develop into one of the best (Like Shaw should do).

At 27, he has another 6 years at top level. He's at his prime atm. Makes me glad to have arguably the best young RB in the world ;) . £20 million is a good deal for Coleman. Can't think of many abroad as good.

At 27, he has another 6 years at top level. He's at his prime atm. Makes me glad to have arguably the best young RB in the world ;) . £20 million is a good deal for Coleman. Can't think of many abroad as good.

Who are you referring to? When I said £20million that was the very minimum, it's going to be closer to £30m one would guess with Everton being desperate to keep him and his contract has like 3/4 years to go.

Who are you referring to? When I said £20million that was the very minimum, it's going to be closer to £30m one would guess with Everton being desperate to keep him and his contract has like 3/4 years to go.

Hector Bellerin is who I was referring to. Our right back situation is messy. We also have the experienced Debuchy and poor Carl Jenkinson who's stuck on loan. Rumours have it that Southampton want him to replace Clyne. Can't be bothered to look it up.

Still would not rule out the move yet!

Absolutely not until it's official in whatever direction.

What is interesting to watch this window is Utd fans getting all excited about this big name and that big name heavily linked; and then watching the about turn when they either stay or sign elsewhere.

A sign that money isn't the deciding factor and you aren't nearly the top draw many still have you as. Been there and lived through it.

But let's not get into a debate over that until the window is shut.

Hope we don't waste too much time chasing Schweinsteiger and Ramos though, we should still be aiming to get business done as normal if you ask me, they are just bonus and unlikely. The price Madrid want for Ramos is too much in my opinion if they are asking for above £40million, considering his age that's a bit ridiculous (and the fact he wants out supposedly). Not to mention Otamendi release clause is £35million apparently and he's younger.

I'd take Arda Turan, good versatile footballer, would be good addition.

Last edited:
I actually think if United spend wisely and bring in the right players, you'll be our main challengers for the title next season.

Big IF at the moment, could be said for Arsenal and City, it all depends on who has the best transfer window in my opinion as to regards being your strongest challenger.

We've still got a lot of work to do, need at least a RB, CM, CB.... ideally two CM's and a striker as well. Quite key areas of investment.

We've got to get this transfer window right because it pretty much shapes our whole season aspirations realistically in my view.

Im willing to bet you good money they ll finish 3rd/4th again ...

Interesting reading Arsenal fans so vehemently defending the failings of Wenger over the last decade. A large majority of which has been brought on by his refusal to pay more for the experienced players so desperately needed at the expense of finding the next great youngster. His approach is admirable but not what he's paid to do. He's paid to put the best team on the field and build with the best at a club like Arsenal. Not balance the books and hope that youth finally comes to fruition.

But then after all Arsene has done for that football club I guess it's only right he's getting that good will.

Just pretty sure after a mere 2 FA Cups in a decade, and nowhere close to the league; my patience would of past worn thin with just settling for the top 4 only to crash out the first knock-out stage and first half decent side they come up against in Europe most every year.

Last edited:
It kind of is Arsene Wenger's job to be financially responsible. How is it logical for Wenger to spend money that doesn't exist? Are you saying that he should have buried his magic beans and make money appear, or borrowed into oblivion to risk the club's long term future for 8 years of success? Clearly to you, it's totally worth doing a Pompey or Leeds. You are literally and figuratively saying that he's a failure for not doing the impossible. I don't think any managers would fare better if then they had to make £50 million net in the transfer market over 6 seasons.

Back