The Manchester United Thread

No doubt as a United squad goes it is very ordinary, only a few of them younger youth players I ever expect to become something as well in the future that is good enough.

We still need reinforcement in key areas with the right signings to have any chance of competing for anything next season worthwhile like PL and CL.

The only real world class players I would class there are De Gea, Di Maria (undoubtedly, sign of a great player is when they still deliver moments of brilliance and assist heavily even when no where near there best) and Rooney.

But I don't have the confidence in Rooney like I once did, we still need a good striker to give him stern competition if you ask me, I think the captaincy hinders him. He needs that kind of fierce motivational drive to be fighting for his position, not knowing he's a in every week regardless.
Still. Our squad is far from average!

God, right here, right now, presuming De Gea is gone, your 'keeper and defence looks as poor as ours and your striker options are only marginally better. And that's being kind.

Better midfield depth but starting midfielders is a toss up.

People keep dismissing it but the difference is negligible and the gap between last years 4 through 6 not that great at all.

Of course that could all change by the end of the window, but as of now, that's a pretty darn average looking squad.

If any team challenging for the top four next season is to be reminded of porous defences, it's surely Liverpool. Even at this moment in time, it's only marginally improved by Clyne's arrival.

It is true. There was marginal difference between the fourth position and sixth. Which makes Liverpool's acquisitions all the more pertinent to make amends to a back four (or five) that let in more goals than any of the top four did last campaign. Not even a slight differential, by at least ten more than United's supposedly deficient rearguard.

Not average like a midtable team no, but it's average as a United squad goes, that defence has to be one of the worst I've seen.
May not be Rio,Vida,Stam etc. But Rafa,Smalling,Jones,Rojo,Shaw is hardly dog ****. We have had worst squads. I think its only 3-4 signings off challenging on all fronts next season.

If any team challenging for the top four next season is to be reminded of porous defences, it's surely Liverpool. Even at this moment in time, it's only marginally improved by Clyne's arrival.

It is true. There was marginal difference between the fourth position and sixth. Which makes Liverpool's acquisitions all the more pertinent to make amends to a back four (or five) that let in more goals than any of the top four did last campaign. Not even a slight differential, by at least ten more than United's supposedly deficient rearguard.

To be honest I don't think he's having a dig at us over Liverpool, he's just pointing out the realisation that as far as a United squad goes that is average.

I can't see us winning anything worthwhile without some top additions especially in defence and midfield. I don't trust Blind as a midfielder (unless against **** teams), he's much better as a LB. That leave us with options of Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria and Fellaini at the moment to play in a 3 man midfield if Van Gaal can use his favoured 4-3-3.

Edit: Trust is the wrong word to use for Blind in midfield, I just think he doesn't offer much there at all and no kind of sense using him unless we have to.

May not be Rio,Vida,Stam etc. But Rafa,Smalling,Jones,Rojo,Shaw is hardly dog ****. We have had worst squads. I think its only 3-4 signings off challenging on all fronts next season.

It is, but looks a long way until they are actually done and the right signings. At the end of the day it's the difference between competing or mediocrity again, unless you count fighting for top 4 as a trophy.

It is, but looks a long way until they are actually done and the right signings. At the end of the day it's the difference between competing or mediocrity again, unless you count fighting for top 4 as a trophy.
We don't know if there a long way from being done. Still would not call our average.

To be honest I don't think he's having a dig at us over Liverpool, he's just pointing out the realisation that as far as a United squad goes that is average.....

Exactly.

This is nothing like the majority of Ferguson squads. Which would be more alarming to me were I a Utd fan given the amount of money Van Gaal has blown through already.

There's Chelsea. Then City and Arsenal. All who will surely strengthen. And then a big drop off to the next group.

Now obviously it's early and there's a whole window to go through, but as we currently stand my assertion is the same as your own.

This is KEY window for your season. And the early signs aren't looking too promising at all the missed targets to date we're lead to believe you badly coveted.

Last edited:
Exactly.

This is nothing like the majority of Ferguson squads. Which would be more alarming to me were I a Utd fan given the amount of money Van Gaal has blown through already.

There's Chelsea. Then City and Arsenal. All who will surely strengthen. And then a bog drop of to the next group.

Now obviously it's early and there's a whole window to go through, but as we currently stand my assertion is the same as your own.

This is KEY window for your season. And the early signs aren't looking too promising at all the missed targets to date were lead to believe.

This is where I may have to disagree with you, I don't think Van Gaal's signings so far have been bad or really questionable.

Di Maria: Everyone knows he's world class, he had a bad season by his very high standards but still created a lot in key moments and was the 3rd highest assist maker in the league I believe. New country, new league, different language, off field problems, he's usually a slow starter like when he joined Madrid. Played a pivotal part in us picking up points to acquire CL position.

Blind: His versatility was needed, whether that be LB or a holding CM role, he can do a job and do it well. Particularly I rate him better as a LB personally, but he's definitely a useful player.

Rojo: Again versatile, very capable LB and can fill at CB as well more than adequately. Still can play a pivotal role for us and was relied upon last season in various positons.

Herrera: Not much needs to be said, we desperately needed someone like him in midfield and as first seasons go it was very strong, looks like premier league suits him and he was one of our better players.

Shaw: England's best LB, he proved he can cope with the best when playing at Southampton. Young age and I'm sure no one can really say this is a bad signing yet. I expect him to go on to big things personally, if he stays clear of injuries... can't blame LVG for that.

Valdes: Good cover keeper, wouldn't be best pleased with him as first choice in a league like this but again, when he was bought he was behind De Gea.

-----

Falcao: This one obviously can be questioned, big wages and didn't work out at all.

Last edited:
We don't know if there a long way from being done. Still would not call our average.
The defence is average. The midfield isnt balanced ( if carricks injured your ******.) ageing forward line, rvp cant be counted on and rooney is an enigma. Even di maria who i think isnt consistant enough to be classified as world class lets be honest doesn't look like he wants to even be in england let alone manchester. The squad may be good enough for top 4 but that just shows how poor the premier league has become.

To be honest I don't think he's having a dig at us over Liverpool, he's just pointing out the realisation that as far as a United squad goes that is average.

I can't see us winning anything worthwhile without some top additions especially in defence and midfield. I don't trust Blind as a midfielder (unless against **** teams), he's much better as a LB. That leave us with options of Carrick, Herrera, Di Maria and Fellaini at the moment to play in a 3 man midfield if Van Gaal can use his favoured 4-3-3.

Edit: Trust is the wrong word to use for Blind in midfield, I just think he doesn't offer much there at all and no kind of sense using him unless we have to.

I know it wasn't a dig, I was just pointing out the interesting yet unbalanced observation. Neither defences are that similar. Nor really are the attacks.

As for targets, who have we really missed, or blown through our transfer budget on already?

Clyne has signed for Liverpool and Gundogan has renewed his deal at Dortmund. As far as anyone else, I don't think we've missed a lot.

Last edited:
As for targets, who have we really missed, or blown through or transfer budget on already?

Clyne has signed for Liverpool and Gundogan has renewed his deal at Dortmund. As far as anyone else, I don't think we've missed a lot.
I don't think we even missed Clyne as we never bid for him.

I know it wasn't a dig, I was just pointing out the interesting yet unbalanced observation. Neither defences are that similar. Nor really are the attacks.

However you slice it, both units at both clubs are real poor compared to what's in front of them.

Last edited:
TBH I don't think City or Arsenals squads are anything special!

Wouldn't disagree. I don't honestly think Chelsea are. They're just a typical Mourinho side. Exceptionally well drilled from front to back with the added quality to take the chances they create and a top class 'keeper to keep them out at the other end. I thought it was an absolute disgrace on his first title winning side in particular in England for him to say last years was the best he'd ever had.

But that said there's currently a gap from Chelsea to City/ Arsenal, and then a bigger one to the next group.

The league overall is of a pretty poor quality compared to years past IMHO and I don't see any English side making any serious challenge in Europe at all as I type.

Last edited:
Wouldn't disagree. I don't honestly think Chelsea are. They're just a typical Mourinho side. Exceptionally well drilled from front to back with the added quality to take the chances they create and a top class 'keeper to keep them out at the other end. I thought it was an absolute disgrace on his first title winning side in particular in England for him to say last years was the best he'd ever had.

But that said there's currently a gap from Chelsea to City/ Arsenal, and then a bigger one to the next group.
IMO I would say its Chelsea and the rest.

This is where I may have to disagree with you, I don't think Van Gaal's signings so far have been bad or really questionable. .....

I'll concede to your better knowledge as you watch Utd on a far more regular basis than I ever would. From what I've seen, I hadn't been impressed at all by Blind and Di Maria for a large chunk looked like Manchester and the English game was the last place he wanted to be (although he did indeed look better late); and Shaw, although I think he will be a terrific player, certainly had a first year to forget.

But again, you know more than I and I appreciate the run down.

However you slice it, both units at both clubs are real poor compared to what's in front of them.

If United really are that inferior to who is ahead of them, then surely statistics would give credence to just that. A lot of them don't really do just that.

If anyone is by far and away superior, it's Chelsea, but the same could invariably be said about any other club against them. Having said that, who finished beneath them are not to be sniffed at either. So easily could other teams strengthen and force another fight-to-the-death-fourth-spot season out of us. Even if we do strengthen most of the critical areas.

It goes both ways.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to see how Rojo kicks on next season. He is progressing nicely imo. Had a good WC then a pretty good start to his Utd career, despite being hampered by the odd injury. And he has been fantastic at the Copa!

Back