The Manchester United Thread

No. We shouldn't be signing him. He will be 29 in Jan and he is not pacey at all. He lacks passing range to play as CM. We have Mata who lacks pace and plays on wings. We should concentrate on better players and also who are bit quick.

Sadly that's true for a lot of our players these days in midfield, they are mainly just all good short passers. It would be great to have a CM brought in who has a wide passing range who can really dictate play from deep, but there isn't many out and realistically available is there?

Last season at times we missed Carrick's defensive awareness when he was not in the team, but also his distribution to quickly switch the play with a pass. Schneiderlin is a more aggresive version of Carrick but his passing/distribution isn't quite as good. However he's just as intelligent and allows us to be tactically quite flexible overall, for these reasons he's a good signing and one of the best we could make.

But it doesn't solve all the answers for our midfield obviously.

----

I'll just repost this here in the hope Sunil sees it this time and it starts a more interesting topic in the United thread.

Last edited:
Never quite gotten how underappreciated Carrick is Nationally.

From when he first broke through at West Ham he's always been a fantastically gifted and intelligent player. Yeah, he might not be as physical as most in the role, or be blessed with any great pace; but give me an intelligent player that can play over a far more physically blessed athlete who can't any day of the week.

One of the best English passers of a ball in my lifetime.

Had he played in Italy or Spain he'd of looked even better.

Last edited:
Sadly that's true for a lot of our players these days in midfield, they are mainly just all good short passers. It would be great to have a CM brought in who has a wide passing range who can really dictate play from deep, but there isn't many out and realistically available is there?

Last season at times we missed Carrick's defensive awareness when he was not in the team, but also his distribution to quickly switch the play with a pass. Schneiderlin is a more aggresive version of Carrick but his passing/distribution isn't quite as good. However he's just as intelligent and allows us to be tactically quite flexible overall, for these reasons he's a good signing and one of the best we could make.

But it doesn't solve all the answers for our midfield obviously.

----

I'll just repost this here in the hope Sunil sees it this time and it starts a more interesting topic in the United thread.

Sorry bro, I missed this last time. Maybe some issue as I didn't get notification.

Yeah, what sets Scholes apart was his range of passing and how quickly he released our wingers and attackers. They had plenty of time and most of the times it was one vs one with full back or CB. We miss that big time.

Like you said Carrick was missed a lot, his range of passing and composure. Schneiderlin passing range is not as good as Carrick but IMO it's better than our other midfielders.

I don't know which midfielder is available with excellent passing range (like I said Schneiderlin's is better than our midfielders except Carrick). Maybe Witsel, few times I saw him his passing looked good. Not sure about consistency. De Rossi range is excellent but he won't move and old too.
Kroos was the midfielder who was like Scholes. Passing, scoring goals but he is not realistic target.

CMs with excellent and consistent passing range are hard to find. Hopefully our own Pereira is the one for us long term.

Sorry bro, I missed this last time. Maybe some issue as I didn't get notification.

Yeah, what sets Scholes apart was his range of passing and how quickly he released our wingers and attackers. They had plenty of time and most of the times it was one vs one with full back or CB. We miss that big time.

Like you said Carrick was missed a lot, his range of passing and composure. Schneiderlin passing range is not as good as Carrick but IMO it's better than our other midfielders.

I don't know which midfielder is available with excellent passing range (like I said Schneiderlin's is better than our midfielders except Carrick). Maybe Witsel, few times I saw him his passing looked good. Not sure about consistency. De Rossi range is excellent but he won't move and old too.
Kroos was the midfielder who was like Scholes. Passing, scoring goals but he is not realistic target.

CMs with excellent and consistent passing range are hard to find. Hopefully our own Pereira is the one for us long term.

Schwienstiger. I also hope Periera has a good tour and Rothwell.

Few people, if anyone, on here believe that Manchester United are substantially better than Liverpool. The consensus generally remains that the team can be much improved and threaten for the title. Which is true.

However, to continuously draw comparison "man for man", on paper, and all the rest of it is very tiring. Especially when facts and statistics belie them.

Bayern Munich would be bonkers to want rid of a legend like Schweinsteiger.

Imagine if we done the same for Scholes, it would of been unthinkable.
Bit strange all the top brass, saying he could leave and German media saying its time to move on. Guess will see. He will have the last say according to Bayern top boys.

Few people, if anyone, on here believe that Manchester United are substantially better than Liverpool. The consensus generally remains that the team can be much improved and threaten for the title. Which is true.

However, to continuously draw comparison "man for man", on paper, and all the rest of it is very tiring. Especially when facts and statistics belie them.

Perhaps an unbiased opinion is needed with this whole Liverpool v United debate...

View attachment 248231 View attachment 248230

I wouldn't pay to much attention to Liverpool's formation above, but as things currently stand and take injuries out of the equation it's the best starting eleven Liverpool can put out and the same applies to United. Looking at it on paper United's defence and midfield is better, however I think on their day Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge could be just as good as Depay, Rooney and Mata. Now if United strengthen in the right areas (GK? CB, RB, CDM, ST) during this window then they'll undoubtably have a better squad than Liverpool (You could argue that they already do), but the main difference for me is that United have LVG and as I've mentioned previously I don't think it'll be Arsenal or City who'll be Chelsea's main challengers for the title next season, I think it'll be United, given you get the right players in of course. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
robbo_normal.jpg
James Robson
@JamesRobsonMEN United have re-opened the bidding for Schneiderlin Manchester United transfers: Van Gaal lodges official bid for Schneiderlin - Manchester Evening News Get in there! :)

Wasn't he sold to Zagreb permanently? Remember seeing something about it.
They had a clause to buy only if player accepted. But read he wanted to prove himself at Utd. And on the official site they have him down for this seasons squad.

Rumours

Love the Manchester Evening News but let's be honest...that site simpy cannot be detached.

And only Utd had major injuries and a slew of new additions huh? And the rest is pretty much more of the same.

Mate, do you REALLY think that what happened to us last season esp in relation to the HUGE amount of injuries is comparable to what happened to any other team?!

And then YOU have the gall to use the word blinkered?!

I guess after all that sense you have been talking recently you re allowed to spout some ****!

A few people working really really hard to try and knock United and their fans here. As for missed targets. United have missed out on two: Hummels and Alves. Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin are two further targets, one looking on, and the other always difficult. Ramos is one of unexpected opportunity. The idea that United has lost draw doesn't work for one key reason: we have rarely shooed at ready made world class players. Think a few posters need to take the blinkers off, and be a little less partronising, or move back to their own threads. United are not going to hit all their first choice, very few clubs do unless you shop one level below or there are exceptional circumstances, which is where united typically operate. The draw is the same as ever: behind that of Madrid and Barcelona. Though we can certainly add bayern to the mix

Last edited:
Back