The Manchester United Thread

Perhaps an unbiased opinion is needed with this whole Liverpool v United debate...

View attachment 898319 View attachment 898320

I wouldn't pay to much attention to Liverpool's formation above, but as things currently stand and take injuries out of the equation it's the best starting eleven Liverpool can put out and the same applies to United. Looking at it on paper United's defence and midfield is better, however I think on their day Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge could be just as good as Depay, Rooney and Mata. Now if United strengthen in the right areas (GK? CB, RB, CDM, ST) during this window then they'll undoubtably have a better squad than Liverpool (You could argue that they already do), but the main difference for me is that United have LVG and as I've mentioned previously I don't think it'll be Arsenal or City who'll be Chelsea's main challengers for the title next season, I think it'll be United, given you get the right players in of course. Just my two cents.

Im not sure you need the striker in there, unless RVP goes but on the whole I agree

Bayern Munich would be bonkers to want rid of a legend like Schweinsteiger.

Imagine if we done the same for Scholes, it would of been unthinkable.
This is a transfer that should not even be being discussed, let alone being at this stage, though it may well not happen. No idea what bayern have done to let it get this far. They should be giving him what he wants. It's not like he is finished like Gerrard was

A few people working really really hard to try and knock United and their fans here. As for missed targets. United have missed out on two: Hummels and Alves. Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin are two further targets, one looking on, and the other always difficult. Ramos is one of unexpected opportunity. The idea that United has lost draw doesn't work for one key reason: we have rarely shooed at ready made world class players. Think a few posters need to take the blinkers off, and be a little less part ionising, or move back to their own threads. United are not going to hit all their first choice, very few clubs do unless you shop one level below or there are exceptional circumstances, which is where united typically operate. The draw is the same as ever: behind that of Madrid and Barcelona. Though we can certainly add bayern to the mix

Still don't think Ramos will happen to be honest, everything coming out of COPE is saying how stupidly high Madrid are demanding for him. I'm all for getting him but anything above £30m, which is no where near their valuation, for a 29 year old is overpriced in my view.

Last edited:
Still don't think Ramos will happen to be honest, everything coming out of COPE is saying how stupidly high Madrid are demanding for him. I'm all for getting him but anything above £30m, which is no where near their valuation, for a 29 year old is overpriced in my view.
Ramos is all about playing hardball because of De Gea. Whether it happens or not, I want us keeping the pressure up all the way

Last edited:
Mate, do you REALLY think that what happened to us last season esp in relation to the HUGE amount of injuries is comparable to what happened to any other team?!

And then YOU have the gall to use the word blinkered?!

I guess after all that sense you have been talking recently you re allowed to spout some ****!

Sturridge out most all season. THATS our attack right there. Made even more glaring with Suarez's goals loss. Throw in, whatever you think of him, Mario missing for chunks injured and that leaves precisely zero attacking options. Or Ricky Lambert/ Fabio Borini. Exactly. Which lead to a winger played up or a number 10 played as a false 9.

Flannagan, our best defender from the previous year out all year.

Lallana, £25 million never fully fit at any time and missing large chunks.

Gerrard missing for a long spell.

Sakho missing for large chunks. Our key centre half going forward.

As ***** as he is, Johnson out for half the year. Throw in Enrique and Flannagan, and that leaves next to no full back options. ****, it got so bad Can ended up at RB.

Lucas, key DM missing for over half the year injured all told.

Utd were by NO means the only team hit hard with KEY injuries last year.

Last edited:
Manchester United hold all of the power here. While it's inevitable that De Gea would prefer to go to Madrid, it's not like he's handed in a transfer request or begged to leave. Sergio Ramos can cause huge issues, especially as he's virtually a club legend. Fact is that the De Gea situation is nowhere near as volatile as the Ramos situation. Ramos is a 29 year old defender with only 3-4 years at top level left in him. De Gea is a 24 year old keeper that can play at least until 40. That's why De Gea is worth £50 million imo. A world class keeper for at least a decade and a half.

Sturridge out most all season. THATS our attack right there. Made even more glaring with Suarez's goals loss. Throw in, whatever you think of him, Mario missing for chunks injured and that leaves precisely zero attacking options. Or Ricky Lambert/ Fabio Borini. Exactly. Which lead to a winger played up or a number 10 played as a false 9.

Flannagan, our best defender from the previous year out all year.

Lallana, £25 million never fully fit at any time and missing large chunks.

Gerrard missing for a long spell.

Sakho missing for large chunks. Our key centre half going forward.

As ***** as he is, Johnson out for half the year. Throw in Enrique and Flannagan, and that leaves next to no full back options. ****, it got so bad Can ended up at RB.

Lucas, key DM missing for over half the year injured all told.

Utd were by NO means the only team hit hard with KEY injuries last year.

I don't think anyone is saying Utd were the only team hit with KEY injuries, what they are saying is the AMOUNT of key injuries. Lets put it this way. Liverpool had 52 injuries last season. United had 69. At one stage we had 10 first team players out at one stage. During the X-mas period we had 8 players out injured. We had Valencia at RB for most of the season for christ sake. Shaw was injured 6 times.

Liverpool;s injury list was never anywhere as bad as united so calm down. We were in a state of transition. The squad went from Moyes, a pushover to Van Gaal, a dictator. We changed formation and tactics midway through the season. Di Maria flopped after his home break in. But all other signings did their job well, especially Herreara.

Also, last season, you had money and CL spot to lure players in, yet you lost Suraez and replaced him with Balo. Yet we lost CL spot and signed Falcao( albeit he flopped) and Di Maria, which proves CL spot can mean ****** all, or players who signed for us realized it was a one off ***** season.

All relative.

Regardless of how poorly the squad has been built, Sturridge alone being gone for the year has everything else fall down as he was the key to everything Rodgers wanted to do. That's your season right there. 3 games in. Throw in all the other key positions, whilst trying to integrate a slew of new players and Rodgers changing tactics from week to week like they were going out of fashion until he finally hit on one that stabilised for a spell; and both clubs suffered as badly in their respective situations last term.

All relative.

Regardless of how poorly the squad has been built, Sturridge alone being gone for the year has everything else fall down as he was the key to everything Rodgers wanted to do. That's your season right there. 3 games in. Throw in all the other key positions, whilst trying to integrate a slew of new players and Rodgers changing tactics from week to week like they were going out of fashion until he finally hit on one that stabilised for a spell; and both clubs suffered as badly in their respective situations last term.

Why can't you go back to your own thread and cry about how Liverpool are actually really good but injuries destroyed you're comeback season. Liverpool fans always hype up about how this season is there season, and then they cry and make excuses about why the season didn't live up to the hype.

Manchester United hold all of the power here. While it's inevitable that De Gea would prefer to go to Madrid, it's not like he's handed in a transfer request or begged to leave. Sergio Ramos can cause huge issues, especially as he's virtually a club legend. Fact is that the De Gea situation is nowhere near as volatile as the Ramos situation. Ramos is a 29 year old defender with only 3-4 years at top level left in him. De Gea is a 24 year old keeper that can play at least until 40. That's why De Gea is worth £50 million imo. A world class keeper for at least a decade and a half.

De gea hold all the power, he has a year left on his contract the max you will be able to get for him is 20mill. He isnt going to sign a new contract so even if you keep him this year thats him off next year on a free. De gea is as good as gone. Ramos imo i would stay away from, 29 years old high wages high transfer fee no sell on value. Isnt even that good. No deal if i was Ed Woodward.

Nice Puddz.

When someone does that let me know.

Tbh, your biggest problem injury wise was Sturridge. And that was a big problem. Lack of a his goals, if we can say he would produce like he did season before, was the most hindering part in your campaign. However, purely based on injury and amount of injuries, United had bigger problems. We used McNair as CB, guy who were playing attacking midfielder just a season or two ago in the reserves. Tyler Blackett who was shaky even in reserves, let alone against big boys. We didn't have our best midfielder in last 3-4 season, Carrick, for most of the season. In one moment, United were practically playing with reserves/players from the bench. And in that period, United were delivering results. Not performances, but results. And that was key why United got 4th place and likes of Liverpool didn't.

De gea hold all the power, he has a year left on his contract the max you will be able to get for him is 20mill. He isnt going to sign a new contract so even if you keep him this year thats him off next year on a free. De gea is as good as gone. Ramos imo i would stay away from, 29 years old high wages high transfer fee no sell on value. Isnt even that good. No deal if i was Ed Woodward.

False. If he wants to go to RM, then he needs to respect Uniteds position and how much club value him. Because he's refusing to sign new contract and give United more power in getting decent money for one of the best goalkeeper in the world, United has every right to ask from De Gea to honor his contract. If De Gea signed new contract 6 months ago, he would be sold couple weeks ago. Now, both De Gea and Real have to wait one season, or pay United what United wants. RM can have De Gea on free next season.

Im gutted that we are in this position and have NO senior defenders that we could call world class. So we need a player like Ramos, no matter how much I dont like him. Id much rather spend the £30m on Stones if we had the experience already at the club to help him along for a few years but we don't.

Smalling and Jones have been at the club years now but still look lost without that older experienced head beside them. Although they did well in parts last year, especially Smalling. They cant be trusted to blood through the younger lads like Mcnair and a potential buy like Stones.

We could get Vlaar on a free just for the experience and the Dutch connection but you could argue that up until the last World Cup he'd been pretty mediocre. Or is he just starting to come into his peak at 30 and could give us a steady 3-4 years?

Whatever we go in the market, its clear we need experience at the back. Do we need to spend £30+ million to get that? Thats debatable, but something needs to be done asap.

Isn't DDG outside of the protected period of his contract and could buy out his contract?

False. If he wants to go to RM, then he needs to respect Uniteds position and how much club value him. Because he's refusing to sign new contract and give United more power in getting decent money for one of the best goalkeeper in the world, United has every right to ask from De Gea to honor his contract. If De Gea signed new contract 6 months ago, he would be sold couple weeks ago. Now, both De Gea and Real have to wait one season, or pay United what United wants. RM can have De Gea on free next season.

His not a prisoner lol, he holds all the cards and united willl definately sell because he WILL go on a free next year. His family lives in madrid his Hot girlfriend wispering in his ear. madrid or manchester not really a toss up tbh.

Completely agree in principle and I admire the fortitude on standing strong to this point.

But standing by your principles doesn't always make the wisest business choice and there's going to have to come a point where you take less than you value him. Whatever that may be.

Just writing off £20 million for arguments sake would be to Utd's detriment. However strong the brand is in what ever line, that's a **** of a loss for any organisation. And there's absolutely zero guarantee that he'd be the difference maker again in getting you back into the Champions League so that's one heck of a risky strategy for those that keep arguing he'll be worth a heck of lot more than his transfer fee to the club this coming season on the park.

Completely agree with you on Sturridge BTW. He and the top draw form of De Gea where the key differences in both clubs respective finishes IMHO. And it say's far more about how Rodgers has built the side and not accounting for what everyone knew was going to happen with Daniel than anything else.

I'd just take issue that you suffered that much worse on the injury front in reality with the key components we missed to varying degrees all year round as has been previously noted. But we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Last edited:
Isn't DDG outside of the protected period of his contract and could buy out his contract?

He should be going off memory of the rules, I'm sure there is some unwritten agreement that clubs wouldn't do this to each other but as soon as this happens with a high profile player we will see it happen all the time.

Cadena Sar reporting that Ramos has told his Brother (Agent) to reject any contract offer Madrid offer him. And that he wants out.

Back