The Manchester United Thread

De Gea isn't in my good books anymore anyway, I think he should of signed a contract like Ronaldo did so we got the fee we definitely deserve for the work and effort we've put into him. With the agreement he could go, would of most likely gone quicker as well.

Wouldn't like seeing him in a United shirt as no.1 keeper when the commitment isn't there, unless he signs a contract and stays then I'd forgive him ;)

De Gea isn't in my good books anymore anyway, I think he should of signed a contract like Ronaldo did so we got the fee we definitely deserve for the work and effort we've put into him. With the agreement he could go, would of most likely gone quicker as well.

Wouldn't like seeing him in a United shirt as no.1 keeper when the commitment isn't there, unless he signs a contract and stays then I'd forgive him ;)
I have no issue with him at all. We should have offered a contract under Moyes. He hasn't kicked up fuss, hasn't asked for a transfer request, the club hasn't singled him out. It's all been pretty amicable. In fact what was a near certainty 3 weeks ago seems a lot less clear.

I have no issue with him at all. We should have offered a contract under Moyes. He hasn't kicked up fuss, hasn't asked for a transfer request, the club hasn't singled him out. It's all been pretty amicable. In fact what was a near certainty 3 weeks ago seems a lot less clear.

Only because Madrid thought they could walk in and we'd give them De Gea with open arms.

He's hardly gone running into them either. Could have made it trickier for us and hasn't

Perhaps, but considering the support he's had here it would be insane for him to do anything like handing in a transfer request. It would ruin his reputation completely from a club who value him so highly.

I'm still gutted if he does go, don't get me wrong, but he won't be in held in the same regard as Ronaldo for my feeling towards him.

Everything I see about Madrid in polls from media/fans saying they want Ramos staying more than getting De Gea, awful fans turning on legends like Casillas, such a high pressure for him to perform or he won't be given the support/chance United gave him during first few seasons, fans will turn on him over mistakes. Then add into the mix he came from Atletico Madrid and the image he'll have from everyone on that side immediately. Just can't see the appeal of it myself, Ronaldo has won 1 league title since he left us at Madrid. Even his family said that they'd be happy for him to stay with us, this is a decision he takes for his girlfriend over everything else in my view.

..... Even his family said that they'd be happy for him to stay with us, this is a decision he takes for his girlfriend over everything else in my view.

He's from Madrid. To a Spaniard, there doesn't get anything bigger. ****, to the vast majority there doesn't get anything bigger. Whatever you or I or anyone thinks (and I share a lot of your points); Real Madrid are by far and away the biggest football club on the planet.

I don't care who you are, it takes a heck of a strong character to turn down the chance to coach or manage there.

He's from Madrid. To a Spaniard, there doesn't get anything bigger. ****, to the vast majority there doesn't get anything bigger. Whatever you or I or anyone thinks (and I share a lot of your points); Real Madrid are by far and away the biggest football club on the planet.

I don't care who you are, it takes a heck of a strong character to turn down the chance to coach or manage there.

When you've been raised through Atletico Madrid set-up from the youth into the first team, you expect he has a strong allegiance with them and wouldn't consider breaking it by joining Real Madrid. Honestly it doesn't appear to matter, but I thought it would.

For me it's like a player such as Welbeck who is United through and through joining Liverpool. (Arsenal are rivals obviously but no where near direct in the way of United-Liverpool).

His is move to Madrid is actually less about the club than family, and because his family are happy for him to stay, he's not pushed it in the way I'd have expected. Not saying he will stay by any mean, but suddenly not as clear now.

Only in England or maybe a select few countries is their a big deal of players moving to rival clubs. players move freely from rival clubs in italy e.g inter and AC milan. Maybe its the same with spain I guess. So perhaps de gea has no qualms about moving too real madrid. who knows?.

David Amoyal and Di Marzio both saying last night a deal was close and we will go back with an improved offer today. Deal very close according to both. :)

Only clowns that believed every tweet and Mirror article. This is done Koemans all but confirmed it.

No. You are reading it wrong. Koeman was very open about the situation which was very good to see. He said what was known for a year, that Schneiderlin will leave this year and buying club should meet their asking price which we haven't yet. Anything can happen. He said we have made bid 2 weeks ago and haven't followed up it yet.

Hopefully we meet the asking price and get it done with. They will be leaving for preseason today, so hopefully things get accelerated.

Also good to see we are in for Darmian. I have watched him only once or twice playing for Italy and he was very good attacking.

Yeh I know, my logical brain is just speaking that if we dismiss our current situation as it is, anything over £20m is overpaying, so I can see why we may be trying to convince Southampton he's not the be all and end all to our plans. (In reality there isn't much else so he is really).

25Million for Schneiderlin is good deal for both parties. He is just 25 years old, will be 26 this season, quality and proven in PL. IMO he is arguably best midfielder in PL when it comes to defensive contribution, only arguable is Matic. Home grown and he is not a flash in pan also, he was quality ever since Southampton were promoted to PL.

I don't know about others but I for one wanted him 1 or 2 years back.

Schneiderlin vs Matic. Also Schneiderlin is 1 year younger.

CJSV-fYUEAAVEx0.jpg

Nothing Is a done deal till a player is in red, but it will happen soon enough hopefully. Trying to find out if there is anything in links to darmian
What do you think of Darmian?

His is move to Madrid is actually less about the club than family, and because his family are happy for him to stay, he's not pushed it in the way I'd have expected. Not saying he will stay by any mean, but suddenly not as clear now.

He's no need to push anything though has he?

Last year of his contract. Madrid want him, and whether it's this year or next they'll doubtless get him. By all accounts, whatever the reason, he wants to return home. So he sits. If Madrid desperately want the deal done for this season, they pay and he moves. Getting what he ultimately wants. If they don't, he still wins. He sits for a year, not overly unhappy with life, and gets an even bigger pay packet from a freebie transfer.

Same for Madrid. Unless they're absolutely desperate to have him this year, the prudent thing for them to do would be to sit and wait a season, safe in the knowledge they're getting what they hope will be their new Casilas for the next 10 years for free.

The only losers ultimately here are Utd, who, like you say, should of attended to this sooner.

Always amazes me after the McManaman situation that clubs can let high value players contracts run down in the Bosman era. You need to start talking 2 or 3 years before they're up, and if it's getting into the last 2 years and they don't look like they're going to re-sign, then you cut ties, get the most you can and go in another direction.

Harsh lesson learnt.

Last edited:
Only in England or maybe a select few countries is their a big deal of players moving to rival clubs. players move freely from rival clubs in italy e.g inter and AC milan. Maybe its the same with spain I guess. So perhaps de gea has no qualms about moving too real madrid. who knows?.

I get what you're trying to show man but the 2 Milanese clubs are a bad example. Milan is like nowhere else in Italy when it comes to the relationship between the two clubs and fans. And it's a unique situation with the amount of players not only playing for both clubs, but who have moved directly between both with absolutely no fan backlash at all.

Certainly not the situation in Rome for example or when anyone moves between Juventus and Fiorentina.

I get what you're trying to show man but the 2 Milanese clubs are a bad example. Milan is like nowhere else in Italy when it comes to the relationship between the two clubs and fans. And it's a unique situation with the amount of players not only playing for both clubs, but who have moved directly between both with absolutely no fan backlash at all.

Certainly not the situation in Rome for example or when anyone moves between Juventus and Fiorentina.

Aldo Serena must have been the worst for it in the 80s!

He went from Inter to AC, back to Inter, then Torino and Juve then back to Inter then to AC!

Apparently Argentine press saying ADM will only be out 3 weeks.

Most I can find is AS in Spain reporting it's a tear and he'll be out a month before he can start to look at training again.

Be good to have some official clarification. Not least for you guys.

Di Maria would of had 3 week holiday anyway and missed pre-season tour, honestly not too bothered about it, he needs some resting time anyway.

Also Darmian is looking closer, suddenly makes sense why we weren't in for Clyne if this one happens.

Back