The Manchester United Thread

muller :) Ed will make it happen :)

I don't think it's possible and I love signings like Depay, Schneiderlin, Darmian who actually addresses the problem areas and won't command huge fee and wages. I love signings like Di Maria, Mata too but there should be a balance.

Re: striker. LVG wants to play 4-3-3 in which Rooney gets his favoured role, creative lead striker. He expects goals from the flanks, hence Depay, with Mata showing he is wide scorer too. Di Maria will be expected to chip in with more goals but mostly assist as usual. Rooney is the undisputed number one. So whoever comes in will be the number 2 who can be a number one, or a number one forward who can play on the flanks and score from there too

Rumors from Spanish media that Madrid are not trying for Otamendi as he has already signed with ManUtd. Hopefully that's true. Our defense would be awesome.

Darmian Smalling Otamendi Shaw

Berahino? Another overpriced and overrated English striker... oh joy.

Seriously we need to think bigger then that, bare in mind that if Rooney picks up an injury we are relying on them to score us at least 20+ goals.

Seriously we need to think bigger then that, bare in mind that if Rooney picks up an injury we are relying on them to score us at least 20+ goals.
Who says we are looking at Berahino

No back up striker scores 20 goals when team plays with only 1 striker.

No back up striker scores 20 goals when team plays with only 1 striker.

I said bare in mind we need to be confident they can bag that amount of goals IF Rooney picks up a long-term injury in a season. I wouldn't be with Berahino, maybe other people rate him higher, I just think he's another overrated English striker. Very little experience and we'll be playing against the best in Europe and has much higher expectations, he wouldn't handle it in my opinion. Liverpool would be a better fit for him with slightly less pressure and in Europa League he can get that experience.

Perfect for us is Muller, if we get him he'd suit us down to a tee under LVG, can play outwide or as the no.9, tbh truth be told he'd probably be more effective there then Rooney. But Rooney will always be first choice cos of captaincy sadly, I think he needs more competition in his game to get best out of him and knowing he starts every week regardless is just not great but oh well, we'll see.

I personally think out of last years three (Ings, Kane and himself), Berahino was is by far and away the better footballer and prospect. Quick, technically sound. Strong. Great in the air. Played the lone role real well when asked for West Brom, holding it up well and winning it which for a young kid is a heck of an ask at any level, never mind the BPL. Although he didn't score as many as the other 2, the verity in his goals was fantastic too.

Yeah, he's by no means the finished article. But put that potential alongside better players and with better coaching to mould him to what you want and someone could have a real gem on their hands.

For the here and now obviously you need proven, quality experience behind Rooney. But if money is 'no object' as we're lead to believe, dropping the £20 million on that kid West Brom want would be a great calculated investment for United or any other top club IMHO.

Last edited:
I said bare in mind we need to be confident they can bag that amount of goals IF Rooney picks up a long-term injury in a season. I wouldn't be with Berahino, maybe other people rate him higher, I just think he's another overrated English striker. Very little experience and we'll be playing against the best in Europe and has much higher expectations, he wouldn't handle it in my opinion. Liverpool would be a better fit for him with slightly less pressure and in Europa League he can get that experience.

Perfect for us is Muller, if we get him he'd suit us down to a tee under LVG, can play outwide or as the no.9, tbh truth be told he'd probably be more effective there then Rooney. But Rooney will always be first choice cos of captaincy sadly, I think he needs more competition in his game to get best out of him and knowing he starts every week regardless is just not great but oh well, we'll see.

But those players won't be happy with rotational role which again will lead to Rooney in midfield.

I would rather see players like Berahino as back up than Rooney in midfield.

But those players won't be happy with rotational role which again will lead to Rooney in midfield.

I would rather see players like Berahino as back up than Rooney in midfield.

Why? Muller can play outwide anyway, he'd still get games regardless.

Moving Rooney to midfield is bad idea but that won't happen unless we don't buy another CM like Schneiderlin, then it could with a 3 man midfield atm we're lacking on a player.

Muller would start on the right if he wasn't up front. I wouldn't get Berahino because he isn't a creative 9. None of them are. That role requires excellent creativity or or excellent movement. I wouldn't trust any of them to fill in for Rooney in a 4-3-3

Why? Muller can play outwide anyway, he'd still get games regardless.

Moving Rooney to midfield is bad idea but that won't happen unless we don't buy another CM like Schneiderlin, then it could with a 3 man midfield atm we're lacking on a player.

But Muller can't lead the line. He is much better as support striker. Maybe it's about time we drop all this playing out of position and go for functional team rather than big names.

I personally think out of last years three (Ings, Kane and himself), Berahino was is by far and away the better footballer and prospect. Quick, technically sound. Strong. Great in the air. Played the lone role real well when asked for West Brom, holding it up well and winning it which for a young kid is a heck of an ask at any level, never mind the BPL. Although he didn't score as many as the other 2, the verity in his goals was fantastic too.

Yeah, he's by no means the finished article. But put that potential alongside better players and with better coaching to mould him to what you want and someone could have a real gem on their hands.

For the here and now obviously you need proven, quality experience behind Rooney. But if money is 'no object' as we're lead to believe, dropping the £20 million on that kid West Brom want would be a great calculated investment for United or any other top club IMHO.

I don't really see what he would bring to the table, he's a decent striker but hasn't really proven anything yet and at £20million I'd still consider it a big gamble. I wouldn't trust him to fill no.9 in a 4-3-3 at this stage in such high level.

Our second striker will be important next season and Berahino just won't cut it at top level yet. In future years maybe he can but I don't think he's ready. Plus atm we have Hernandez and Wilson who aren't even too de-similar in what they can offer.

But Muller can't lead the line. He is much better as support striker. Maybe it's about time we drop all this playing out of position and go for functional team rather than big names.
You are not asking him to lead the line. The central striker role is as much about movement and decoy as scoring. There are few players in the world with his movement

Any forward playing CF in the 4-3-3 must be able to drop into the pocket, pull his defenders out, be a decoy, ideally create for the wide strikers, link with the onrushing CM.

You are not asking him to lead the line. The central striker role is as much about movement and decoy as scoring. There are few players in the world with his movement

His movement off the ball is brilliant and that's what sets him apart from majority, but that movement is not as a lone striker. It's from deep and from wide positions.

I would go for Welbeck; decent young lad, plays for Arsenal, dunno where he came from, but yeah, would be a great addition and I am sure LVG would love him...:D

Any forward playing CF in the 4-3-3 must be able to drop into the pocket, pull his defenders out, be a decoy, ideally create for the wide strikers, link with the onrushing CM.

Yes but we don't need a superstar as back up.

Tbh I believe Hernandez is perfect for what Van Gaal wants in strikers.

No chance. He is not creative enough and no good at dropping deep and being a decoy making space for the wide players to get into goal scoring/creating positions.

Far from perfect. We don't need superstar, we need someone who'll do the job. Welbeck fits everything bar the scoring role. Thats why I'm so annoyed Dybala went to Juventus. He would be perfect as a backup striker and as a cover on both flanks. Lacazette can do that as well, as can Cavani (more or less). Absolutely perfect signing would be Lewandowski or Benzema, but that would mean Rooney on the bench.

Back