The Manchester United Thread

How did they overpaid exactly? He was the best player in Champions League winning team and one of the best in World Cup finalist team. I'm having a hard time even coming up with better credentials than that. In a world where ******* Benteke goes for 25m, 50 for Di Maria doesn't seem drastically overpriced.

If paying as near as **** it £60 million for someone who has never scored more than 7 goals in a league season and had fluctuated in assists (I think he'***** double figures three times his career all told excluding last season) constitutes £60 million to you then your idea of value and mine vary quite a bit.

Yeah, he'd just come of a mega season in Spain assist wise. But when you take everything into account and the players around him (best player in that team? Stop laughing C.Ronaldo Esq.) £60 million was still a hefty sum. When I'm paying that, I want a complete, consistent difference maker in ALL facets.

What was his WC? 1 goal and no assists? That's not to downplay the role he played. But that justify's that amount of money?

I'm far from a stats man. But when I'm shelling out that amount of money, he'd better be right up there in those two key difference making stats.

A very good player but you over paid.

Di Maria can do a lot on a pitch that other players can't, he has special ability and can turn a game, despite him having a poor by his standards season he still chipped in with assists which lead to vital goals in matches. Overpaid probably vut the current market makes it arguable and he was definitely one of Real Madrid's best players when we got him/the best that season in my opinion, Madrid fans were gutted to lose him.

Any team with him in looks more dangerous, he creates a lot of chances during a season and isn't really about goals, he was Madrid's main creative outlet if you ask me.

Last edited:
No question zz. He's a very, very good player who brings a lot to the table. (I personally don't think he's suited to the English game mind but that's neither here nor there.).

But when you're getting into that amount of money you want the whole package. Or at least that;s what I'd be looking for.

No question zz. He's a very, very good player who brings a lot to the table. (I personally don't think he's suited to the English game mind but that's neither here nor there.).

But when you're getting into that amount of money you want the whole package. Or at least that;s what I'd be looking for.

He was the whole package in my opinion in the position he was playing at Madrid on the central left side of midfield he could create, take players on, pace, good positional/ awareness. From someone who plays there you don't really expect many goals, which he does offer anyway but still.

The 'whole package' is a very vague term, but I'd say he was when we bought him, he started for us this season the same player as he was previous season at Madrid, really well. After personal issues with his family getting burgled and few niggly injuries he tailed off but still delivered crucial moments to get us points in matches.

Eh, Iniesta averages about 5 goals a season and not many assists either, but nobody could reasonably argue that he hasn't been consistently top 5 player in his position for about 10 years now, and without a doubt the best one when it comes to big game performance.

Some players just don't translate well into raw stats. Matter of fact many of the legends of the game didn't. George Weah won Ballon d'Or as a striker after scoring a dozen goals or something, and it wasn't even controversial choice. Nowadays Cristiano and Leo just ****** with our heads.

FWIW, the market is absolutely out of all realms of reality so it isn't specific to Di Maria.

Sterling being the most recent example. If he's a £49 million footballer then your talking 9 figures for Di Maria in relation so all it's all relative from that respect.

Lets not forget that we were under a new manager, adopting different systems, had many injuries throughout and the team around him was constantly adjusting, including himself. No one this season was truely good consistently apart from Young and De Gea, Di Maria offered more in his 'bad season' to us than 95% of the squad. That says it all for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GNG6Fwc4l8

Watch this and it's enough to see how he is a magic player, the stuff he done, even his passes/vission were just out of this world to create chances other people would never be capable of doing.

Last edited:
In last 2 seasons the changes are very very huge and that's one of the reason why we are spending big money. We have sold almost all Fergie players except Rooney, Smalling, Jones.

We have sold experienced as well as youngsters.

Reserve players who made few first team appearances/highly rated
Michael Keane
Tom Thorpe
Petrucci
Amos
Janko
Mats Møller Dæhli

First team players
Welbeck
Kagawa
Buttner
Evra
Nani
Cleverley
Fletcher
Vidic
Ferdinand
Giggs
Scholes
RVP
Angelo Henriquez
Fabio
Anderson
Zaha
Macheda
Bebe

Players from Fergie Era
De Gea
Lindegaard
Jones
Smalling
Rafael
Evans
Carrick
Young
Rooney
Hernandez

From this, De Gea is almost gone,
Lidegaard is on transfer market for more than a year
Rafael agent confirmed he is free to leave
Evans is close to joining Everton
Hernandez was already out of door.

So only survivors are, Rooney, Jones, Smalling, Carrick, Young. That's a massive massive change.

Last edited:
I really hope ADM doesn't leave. I feel like this season will be a whole lot better for Man Utd in terms of formation and stuff. I would love to see him down one wing and depay down the other with rooney in the mid. looks pretty great on paper. along with Herrera, Schweinsteiger/Carrick, Schneiderlin.

Hope he stays

That is one heck of a turnover of players.

Needing doing like (I think it's pretty unanimously agreed that Utd's last title winning squad was real poor for a Ferguson squad and Moyes was dealt a bad hand there. As big a clown as he is. The fact you won the Lge by such a margin was to the detriment of everyone else and speaks volumes about the inspirational motivator Ferguson is); but that's still one **** of a turnover in such a short space of time.

Van Gaal certainly can't say it's not his side now.

Players from Fergie Era
De Gea
Lindegaard
Jones
Smalling
Rafael
Evans
Carrick
Young
Rooney
Hernandez

From this, De Gea is almost gone,
Lidegaard is on transfer market for more than a year
Rafael agent confirmed he is free to leave
Evans is close to joining Everton
Hernandez was already out of door.

So only survivors are, Rooney, Jones, Smalling, Carrick, Young. That's a massive massive change.

Were's poor Valencia in all this?

United now have a ridiculous midfield on paper..... Went from the likes of Anderson and Cleverly to Schweinsteiger, Di Mari, Mata, Schneiderlin etc

Exited to watch them play but the day the league starts I go off on holiday :(

United now have a ridiculous midfield on paper..... Went from the likes of Anderson and Cleverly to Schweinsteiger, Di Mari, Mata, Schneiderlin etc

Cancel your trip, bro! :D

I'll be in New York myself, so I know exactly where I'll be :)

View attachment 243266

I am about to watch the game here, in the heart of Luxembourg: http://tinyurl.com/qgjtozt

What about you guys?

Looks a very nice, quaint little place. (Had a little virtual walk around from the link there ha ha.).

Been to many places on the continent but can't say I've ever had the pleasure of Luxembourg.

What's the main language out of interest? French? German? Flemish?

Looks a very nice, quaint little place. (Had a little virtual walk around from the link there ha ha.).

Been to many places on the continent but can't say I've ever had the pleasure of Luxembourg.

What's the main language out of interest? French? German? Flemish?

It's a lovely city indeed, excellent to be a tourist here but as I've been living here for 2 years now and as I know each and every square meters of it, it's a bit boring for me. :)

Believe or not the official language here is Luxembourgish which is like...half-drunk German's trying to speak French with one tooth missing. :D

13 hours and 30 mins before our first pre season game. Very excited to see how we line up, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Depay, Herrera. We have very exciting team.

Back