The Manchester United Thread

Lol!!!

Also, on the cb front - people have been saying that with our new additions, esp the two cms we will be better defensively this season as our defence will be better protected, and they are correct. However imho what they are forgetting is that we dont necessarily need a technically and defensively better cb than those we have but, rather, somebody with experience and a leader to keep the defence focussed.

Exactly, especially considering we'll have two relatively inexperienced fullbacks on either side as well. What I'd give for another Vidic or Stam, would literally complete this team pretty much.

Smalling, Evans and Jones really should have enough experience at this stage of their careers. They have been round long enough. Been in title winning sides, and key players at that. They need to learn if they are going to make that next step. They cant have somebody next to them holding their hand all the time if they want to make that leap. You live and learn by your mistakes.

Last season was a massive learning curve for everyone at the club. Even the most experienced in the squad looked average at best at times. But we arent calling for somebody to come in and hold Mata's hand, or Rooney's. I say give them a chance. Give them the responsibility to step up now that we have a settled team and formation and new signings in key areas that will stabalise the team and make us more solid as a whole. Smalling showed the second half of the season just how good he can be in a settled side, and with more support from defensive midfield this season, im expecting more clean sheets and better performances from all the current defenders. They arent going to get any better or go up a level if they are constantly being told they arent good enough or need "experience" beside them.

Smalling, Evans and Jones really should have enough experience at this stage of their careers. They have been round long enough. Been in title winning sides, and key players at that. They need to learn if they are going to make that next step. They cant have somebody next to them holding their hand all the time if they want to make that leap. You live and learn by your mistakes.

Last season was a massive learning curve for everyone at the club. Even the most experienced in the squad looked average at best at times. But we arent calling for somebody to come in and hold Mata's hand, or Rooney's. I say give them a chance. Give them the responsibility to step up now that we have a settled team and formation and new signings in key areas that will stabalise the team and make us more solid as a whole. Smalling showed the second half of the season just how good he can be in a settled side, and with more support from defensive midfield this season, im expecting more clean sheets and better performances from all the current defenders. They arent going to get any better or go up a level if they are constantly being told they arent good enough or need "experience" beside them.

Evans doesn't deserve any more chances he's pure garbage and suggesting we stick with him for another season makes me question your ambition for us. If we want to be challenging on all fronts we need a fixed reliable partner for Smalling/Jones/Rojo who isn't injury prone and has a commanding/leading presence that we so badly lack. Why does someone need to hold their hand? They are as already mentioned injury prone and are not proven top quality players like Mata & Rooney you mentioned.

When someone brings money into the equation the honesty comes out :P

It would be too much of a wait for the outcome anyway!

I'd imagine he will be in a red shirt next year though

Evans doesn't deserve any more chances he's pure garbage and suggesting we stick with him for another season makes me question your ambition for us. If we want to be challenging on all fronts we need a fixed reliable partner for Smalling/Jones/Rojo who isn't injury prone and has a commanding/leading presence that we so badly lack. Why does someone need to hold their hand? They are as already mentioned injury prone and are not proven top quality players like Mata & Rooney you mentioned.

I have said on numerous occasions I want Evans to be sold and McNair take his place in the squad. My point is they all should still have enough experience by now. They arent kids any more. Evans was our best defender in the title winning season. He really stepped up while either Ferdinand or Vidic was out. But when given the chance to step up and be the leader of the group last season he hasnt taken it. He obviously doesnt have that confidence in himself to take charge and lead by example. He'd be a great solid signing for a mid table Premiership club. Just not Manchester United.

One player that did step up and take charge when the team settled down was Smalling. He was fantastic in the second half of the season and if he is to continue like that, we need to show him we have confidence in his ability, not finally get him to a place where he's on form and looks like he can take that next step and then go and buy someone for £30m and say to him, 'yeh your good but we dont trust you to lead the defense'. I agree we will probably need another defender, who's quality and will bring experience, because we will undoubtedly get injuries, but having the attitude that if we dont go and spend £35m on Otamendi/Ramos then we'll be **** isnt doing our current defenders any good at all.

I have said on numerous occasions I want Evans to be sold and McNair take his place in the squad. My point is they all should still have enough experience by now. They arent kids any more. Evans was our best defender in the title winning season. He really stepped up while either Ferdinand or Vidic was out. But when given the chance to step up and be the leader of the group last season he hasnt taken it. He obviously doesnt have that confidence in himself to take charge and lead by example. He'd be a great solid signing for a mid table Premiership club. Just not Manchester United.

One player that did step up and take charge when the team settled down was Smalling. He was fantastic in the second half of the season and if he is to continue like that, we need to show him we have confidence in his ability, not finally get him to a place where he's on form and looks like he can take that next step and then go and buy someone for £30m and say to him, 'yeh your good but we dont trust you to lead the defense'. I agree we will probably need another defender, who's quality and will bring experience, because we will undoubtedly get injuries, but having the attitude that if we dont go and spend £35m on Otamendi/Ramos then we'll be **** isnt doing our current defenders any good at all.

The whole point of signing another CB is to be a partner for Smalling more than anything, Jones/Rojo can be backup and McNair will get his chances on loan or even in cup games.

Not saying we'll be **** if we don't but it will be similar scenario to last season, a defence than is chopping and changing with no consistency in partnership. Our current centre back's is good enough for top 4 but IMO it won't get us the league, that's what we should be aiming for.

Look at Chelsea, and even Everton. Stones came along and Everton gave him a key role in the team because they believed in his ability. He has gone from strength to strength. His age or inexperience didnt matter. They got him in and around the first team 2 years ago then stepped him up last season. Just having that bit of faith in your player can work wonders. Now Chelsea want him and are prepared to pay upwards of £30m for him. They see him as Terry's replacement.

They wont phase him in and have people holding his hand. He will go into the team when he plays knowing that the manager and people at the club have every confidence in him being their rock for the next 10 years. If he makes a mistake, there wont be a big song and dance about it. He'll be told to learn from it and get straight back in next week and prove a point.

At United, the slightest hint of a mistake and they are told they arent good enough. Dropped back to the reserves and dont play again in the first team till either injuries mean they are needed as a last option or they get 20 minutes and told not to make any mistakes. You cant treat players like that and expect them to gain confidence and believe in their own ability. No wonder they are afraid to put a foot wrong. Then that affects their game and leads to mistakes. Its one big ugly cycle and it needs to stop if our young players are ever going to get anywhere.

What unites need first is the back line to stop getting injured. That's been the biggest issue for consistency

82B0785D04184C81A624460F3AA61938.ashx

Look at Chelsea, and even Everton. Stones came along and Everton gave him a key role in the team because they believed in his ability. He has gone from strength to strength. His age or inexperience didnt matter. They got him in and around the first team 2 years ago then stepped him up last season. Just having that bit of faith in your player can work wonders. Now Chelsea want him and are prepared to pay upwards of £30m for him. They see him as Terry's replacement.

They wont phase him in and have people holding his hand. He will go into the team when he plays knowing that the manager and people at the club have every confidence in him being their rock for the next 10 years. If he makes a mistake, there wont be a big song and dance about it. He'll be told to learn from it and get straight back in next week and prove a point.

At United, the slightest hint of a mistake and they are told they arent good enough. Dropped back to the reserves and dont play again in the first team till either injuries mean they are needed as a last option or they get 20 minutes and told not to make any mistakes. You cant treat players like that and expect them to gain confidence and believe in their own ability. No wonder they are afraid to put a foot wrong. Then that affects their game and leads to mistakes. Its one big ugly cycle and it needs to stop if our young players are ever going to get anywhere.

Unfortunately that's football these days...

Back