The Manchester United Thread

Idk... I think £42m for a 29 year old defender who wants out is us overpaying... quite badly. Starting to prefer Otamendi tbh.

Not even taking into consideration I'm sure this deal will include us losing and getting lowballed for De Gea in order for it to happen with Ramos. Losing a keeper of his quality and replacing with Cilessen would be terrible.

Idk... I think £42m for a 29 year old defender who wants out is us overpaying... quite badly. Starting to prefer Otamendi tbh.

Not even taking into consideration I'm sure this deal will include us losing and getting lowballed for De Gea in order for it to happen with Ramos. Losing a keeper of his quality and replacing with Cilessen would be terrible.
We defo wont be getting low balled by anyone. With a better Midfield and defence the GK wont count so much. And if LVG and the coaching staff deem Romero or Cillesen good enough after working with both keepers that's fine by me tbh. Would welcome Ramos for sure, partner him with Smalling and that's a **** hot defensive unit when you add to that Darmian,Shaw and Carrick,Schweinstiger,Schneiderlin shielding them.

We defo wont be getting low balled by anyone. With a better Midfield and defence the GK wont count so much. And if LVG and the coaching staff deem Romero or Cillesen good enough after working with both keepers that's fine by me tbh. Would welcome Ramos for sure, partner him with Smalling and that's a **** hot defensive unit when you add to that Darmian,Shaw and Carrick,Schweinstiger,Schneiderlin shielding them.

It would be good but Idk what deems Ramos worth £42m considering his age and wants out, only got 2 years left on contract as well.

Not mad on the idea if I'm honest, would prefer Otamendi.

It would be good but Idk what deems Ramos worth £42m considering his age and wants out, only got 2 years left on contract as well.

Not mad on the idea if I'm honest, would prefer Otamendi.
Ramos is one of the best CBs in the world, and would offer still good years. His injury record and fitness are top notch. For me its no contest in terms of quality.

Ramos is one of the best CBs in the world, and would offer still good years. His injury record and fitness are top notch. For me its no contest in terms of quality.

Idk Otamendi in current form is better and was best in La Liga. I just don't like the fee for Ramos and we'll probably get about 3 or 4 seasons out of him at best if lucky I'd say.

If you sign a player like Ramos hard to be negative but I think we should stop feeding Madrid with big money for overpriced players. Having money to burn is one thing but we should still spend it as wisely as possible IMO.

Idk Otamendi in current form is better and was best in La Liga. I just don't like the fee for Ramos and we'll probably get about 3 or 4 seasons out of him at best if lucky I'd say.

If you sign a player like Ramos hard to be negative but I think we should stop feeding Madrid with big money for overpriced players. Having money to burn is one thing but we should still spend it as wisely as possible IMO.
I really dont think the price is to bad tbh. I think it will be a real coup and job well done by ED considering we are going to lose DDG for nothing anyway. And it will certainly show Perez and Madrid that they wont be getting there own way again.

We've been over this. If Ramos comes, it will be more about his personality than whether he is the best possible defender option (although he is certainly up there).

All my buddies who are United fans are constantly whining that old United sides were the ****.

"Man back that were really were worth of nickname Red Devils. Keane, Stam, Neville, Vidic, young Rooney, these guys were willing to crack skulls to win, why aren't we like that anymore?"

But when you're chasing a guy who is exactly like that, its oh but he is getting old.

Well a young guy who has won **** all and doesn't even hair on his balls, isn't going to start shaking the backroom out of the sudden. CL/WC/Euro winner, will.

I can only hope (personally) Van Gaal and co. are as naive to think that.

You could have the great Milan defence of Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi and Maldini all in their prime playing for you next season, but that wouldn't alter the fact that the drop off from De Gea to a Cillesen would be massive and still more than likely cost you points.

It's going to happen, and nothing is going to stop it. But losing De Gea will be one of the costliest loses Utd will of had in a LONG time.

Some of you all just seem in complete denial to what he brought last year and the level he's now at and how that leaving impacts the team as a whole.

I only saw cillisen at the World Cup and he definitely did not impress me then he looked panicked with the ball but was a decent shot stopper but did struggle with crosses if I remember would be a real downgrade in my opinion feel their are better go options out their but would prefer we kept ddg for a year then bought

I can only hope (personally) Van Gaal and co. are as naive to think that.

You could have the great Milan defence of Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi and Maldini all in their prime playing for you next season, but that wouldn't alter the fact that the drop off from De Gea to a Cillesen would be massive and still more than likely cost you points.

It's going to happen, and nothing is going to stop it. But losing De Gea will be one of the costliest loses Utd will of had in a LONG time.

Some of you all just seem in complete denial to what he brought last year and the level he's now at and how that leaving impacts the team as a whole.
Don't see how anyone is in denial about what he bought!

Don't see how anyone is in denial about what he bought!
Agreed, that's nonsense. What made De Gea so important last year is that he made up for the lack of structure and control in front of him, something that is disappearing with the acquisitions of schweinsteiger schniderlin and the pursuit of Ramos. You never want to lose a keeper like him, but if you build your front ten properly like we are trying to do then the loss starts to be offset. With what we have so far, Ramos and Navas could well leave us in a better place

Well, time will tell on the actual field of play just how big a loss or not he'll be.

How was the game? I actually woke and couldn't sleep so I caught most of the second half. (I understand and would certainly hope the first half was better for anyone watching.). Typical pre-season kick-around fare from the back end I saw. Couple of observations on some of the younger players FWIW:

Someone I've thought the same on everytime I've seen him stood out to me again. James Wilson. And not in a good way. I keep reading on these here pages from some how Hernandez and he, along with Depay covering, would be adequate for the striking positions ..... I just don't see it in Wilson at the top level at all. That instinct that can't be taught just isn't there and he's always been a yard slower in his thought than the opposition everytime I've seen him. One thing doing it against fellow kids. A complete other against seasoned pro's. And even accounting for his age, he just doesn't look like he has those smarts to be of the quality a club like Utd should be looking at.

Probably have a decent career lower down. Or maybe even for a lower PL club. But I can't see him every being much than mediocre at the top level. I'd defo be looking to loan him out this season and make a decision next summer on whether he was worth continuing with based off his development through that if I were you. Compare that to someone like Pereira, who just looks to have that something different to stand out at the very top. Ways to go there obviously but he seems to have a good football brain on him with his movement and positions he takes up to go along with that Brazilian ability. He could well turn out to of been a nice late gift from Ferguson.

But another one of his later purchases is looking more and more less likely.

I'm not sure how much longer you continue with the Januzai experiment. He just seems to be getting worse as each year rolls and nowhere near the hype that continues to go along with him. His chances are going to get fewer and further between you'd imagine and the lower his confidence get's, the less likely he'll take any of them.

Back