The Manchester United Thread

Bayern had a lot of half-chances. Clear chances they had about 3, aka, one every 40 minutes.

And it will be good few years before any PL team can NOT overload their own third of the pitch vs. Bayern.

Arsenal and United wouldn't do that now anyway, taking it to Di Matteo Chelsea extreme is something else. You know I remember that game and it was written by football gods for Chelsea to win UCL that year because Bayern could of won that heavily on any other night. Sure there may have only been classed as 3 clear cut chances, but I remember a lot more then that good chances.

He's right though and it's nothing to do with the money we have. Fees aren't the financial killer, wages are.

Fees are also a big consideration for most if not all clubs bar a few at the very top

Pedro is good but Di Maria is a level above potentially can take a team to a whole new level. Why is he bottling out after one season.... Wow.

Less said about Cillessen replacing De Gea the better.. we should aim for much better keeper than him. Even if its someone younger like Leno he will have the same period to adapt but will most likely develop to be much better. I don't get the Cillessen signing at all.. very average... He is going to struggle.
If he hasn't got the mentality then we shouldn't keep him, it's not like we are trying to push him out the door. He wants to stay and we want him to, so it sounds like issues off the field,

cillesen is solid, good keeper. I'd rather have Leno myself. LVG isn't going to bring him if he doesn't think he is up to the task though

How did the lads play today?...**** these night matches...

I heard Schweinsteiger was awful or something...

Fees are also a big consideration for most if not all clubs bar a few at the very top
Wages first by a long way. Fees are amortised over a players contract. Can be moved round easily. Wages cannot be.

a club would rather buy a player for a high fee average wage than the other way round

On a brighter note... Pereira has been shining this pre season, what a player potentially we have on our hands, hope he has a bigger say in games this season as he deserves the opportunity. Sadly think he's going to struggle though to get in first team, hope not though.

On a brighter note... Pereira has been shining this pre season, what a player potentially we have on our hands, hope he has a bigger say in games this season as he deserves the opportunity. Sadly think he's going to struggle though to get in first team, hope not though.
He's not going to if he keeps it up. Van Gaal loves him, and is really excited about him. He's already been promoted to the first team side. Now it's up to him to keep getting better How do you get through life being this miserable?

He's not going to if he keeps it up. Van Gaal loves him, and is really excited about him. He's already been promoted to the first team side. Now it's up to him to keep getting better How do you get through life being this miserable?

Maybe other people can be happy about Di Maria leaving or Cillessen replacing De Gea but I really can't. Di Maria is magical world class player who can turn it on at anytime, our biggest signing this season would of been a revitalised Di Maria. Not having him makes us a lot less to fear. Maybe wasn't at his best as the season went on but still created a lot of key chances that lead to goals and plenty of assists. Even when he's bad by his standards he creates.

Maybe other people can be happy about Di Maria leaving or Cillessen replacing De Gea but I really can't. Di Maria is magical world class player who can turn it on at anytime, our biggest signing this season would of been a revitalised Di Maria. Not having him makes us a lot less to fear. Maybe wasn't at his best as the season went on but still created a lot of key chances that lead to goals and plenty of assists. Even when he's bad by his standards he creates.
I would be unhappy if he was being forced out. I'm not unhappy if his personal life is making him unhappy and unable to be at his best. It really doesn't make us that less fearful when you consider Pedro on the right, who scores goals for fun. It makes us less fearful if we do not replace him at all. But Pedro is a 4-3-3 king. We certainly have centre mid to fear.

His movement off the ball and awareness was what really impressed me. You more or less take as a given a Brazilian (even one brought up in Belgium) is going to be technically sound. (Unless they're called Lucas Leiva. Lol. But then he does do his defensive job well so it levels out.). But he's stood out twice now to me the U-20 WC Final I watched when he was a cut above the rest of his peers; and this AM albeit against a scratch MLS side. He looks like he has that footballing nounce to stick and succeed at the top level.

Last edited:

I'm not saying they're financially unimportant to the club, I'm saying fans bother themselves far too much with them.

We as fans have next to zero idea about how the finances fully work of our clubs, we have no idea how the market operates for transfer fees. Leave it to the money men who are paid to make these decisions and be grateful of the team they build. Be worried when your 8 or 9 figure profits become losses, until then, I really couldn't care less if we pay £40m for Ramos if he's worth £27.2834m and not a penny more. That's the mentality of Arsenal in years gone by that everyone gleefully mocked.

His movement off the ball and awareness was what really impressed me. You more or less take as a given a Brazilian (even one brought up in Belgium) is going to be technically sound. (Unless they're called Lucas Leiva. Lol. But then he does do his defensive job well so it levels out.). But he's stood out twice now to me the U-20 WC Final I watched when he was a cut above the rest of his peers; and this AM all best against a scratch MLS side. He looks like he has that footballing nounce to stick and succeed at the top level.
That's precisely why he was handed a 3 year first team wage contract. He will get his chances, but he has to take them

I'm not saying they're financially unimportant to the club, I'm saying fans bother themselves far too much with them.

We as fans have next to zero idea about how the finances fully work of our clubs, we have no idea how the market operates for transfer fees. Leave it to the money men who are paid to make these decisions and be grateful of the team they build. Be worried when your 8 or 9 figure profits become losses, until then, I really couldn't care less if we pay £40m for Ramos if he's worth £27.2834m and not a penny more. That's the mentality of Arsenal in years gone by that everyone gleefully mocked.

Slight difference though is that I'm asking whether that deal makes sense spending £42m for Ramos when you can keep De Gea for a season and get Otamendi who in current form is probably better, two years younger, release clause £35m.

Last edited:
If you have £40m for a defender I don't see how you buy Ramos over Otamendi. Otamendi on current form is the better defender, younger, will work well with rojo, added bonus if we sign Romero. Back 3 all comfortable with each other. No language issues. Everything that makes sense points towards otamendi

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Because Ramos is a leader through and through and has won everything there is. There is a very obvious idea here in the signings through the spine. We really shouldn't be complain if we get one or the other.

If you have £40m for a defender I don't see how you buy Ramos over Otamendi. Otamendi on current form is the better defender, younger, will work well with rojo, added bonus if we sign Romero. Back 3 all comfortable with each other. No language issues. Everything that makes sense points towards otamendi

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Do they speak a different language in Argentina than in Spain?

It's amazing how a player who has won literally everything at club and international level can be so derided in favour of a player who's had one good season. A season most of the people saying he's in "better form" will barely have seen themselves. Remember when everyone was complaining when we were linked with Otamendi at Porto?

Slight difference though is that I'm asking whether that deal makes sense spending £42m for Ramos when you can keep De Gea for a season and get Otamendi who i current form is probably better, two years younger, release clause £35m.

Fair point, I was more having a little rant at everyone's obsession nowadays on saying clubs overspend on certain players.

Personally, I think Woody is playing it perfectly with De Gea. We know he's going eventually, the transfer fee we'd receive wouldn't be overly important, so if we're going to lose him, we may as well use it to open the door to one of Madrid's heavy hitters.

Back