The Manchester United Thread

Jesus if you're writing players off at that age you will never bring them through. Second half was terrible, first half was good.

i really don't have much more to add than that. Both players are still learning. Januzaj had one good year, one bad year, hardly an experiment. You keep decrying "the modern fan" yet want to write off two players so quickly and so early on...

Last edited:
Easy to say for a fan of a club that enjoys massive commercial revenues and has a bottomless transfer war chest
He's right though and it's nothing to do with the money we have. Fees aren't the financial killer, wages are.

An excellent example is Van Persie. People are annoyed we got about 6m in fees for. What they haven't realised is that we now have a million pounds a month more by removing him from the wage bill.

I've not read back to see if this has been mentioned but....

"I have read in the media a striker is the surprise, that's not right. It's something else."

"We have Rooney, he can play in striker's position, and all media had written he should play there so I listen and now you put this question so I don't know what you want.

"Also [Javier Hernandez] and maybe Wilson and maybe there comes a surprise. It's a process. I'm not worried about that position."

And in the build-up to their second match of the summer he shed further light on the club's progress in the transfer market: "He [the 'surprise'] is in the process. "It's not the striker the media has written about. You have to wait and see."

From LVG

Jesus if you're writing players off at that age you will never bring them through. Second half was terrible, first half was good.

Wilson? Hey, he may develop into something. Like I said I'd definitely be looking to loan him out and see what that does for him. Just he doesn't appear to have the instincts to be much of anything at this level when I've seen him, shrugs. I'm all for giving youth it's head when it's ready. Owen you knew instantly. Fowler you knew instantly. Andy Cole when he was breaking through at Arsenal you knew instantly. This kid is more 'meh. Wouldn't hold out much hope there and anything is a bonus.'

But hey, I've not seen all his 18 appearances so maybe he's shown more to you guys through that.

Easy to say for a fan of a club that enjoys massive commercial revenues and has a bottomless transfer war chest

Aren't we literally saying the same thing in our own thread, with our potential to spend over 100m this summer and considerable financial earnings? Our spending across all of the club is the second highest in the world over the last 5 years. The only real difference is that United are pumping their cash into the first team, whereas we're investing in infrastructure and promotion (to achieve those very same massive commercial revenues).

I've not read back to see if this has been mentioned but....

"I have read in the media a striker is the surprise, that's not right. It's something else."

From LVG

Yeah im convinced he's now just taking the **** with them in conferences.

Aren't we literally saying the same thing in our own thread, with our potential to spend over 100m this summer and considerable financial earnings? Our spending across all of the club is the second highest in the world over the last 5 years. The only real difference is that United are pumping their cash into the first team, whereas we're investing in infrastructure and promotion (to achieve those very same massive commercial revenues).
Exactly, the reason United aren't doing it is because they have already done it. Chelsea are trying to follow Uniteds commercial model, and they have the bonus of no debt, if not the history. But they have the current success to make it work

Wilson? Hey, he may develop into something. Like I said I'd definitely be looking to loan him out and see what that does for him. Just he doesn't appear to have the instincts to be much of anything at this level when I've seen him, shrugs. I'm all for giving youth it's head when it's ready. Owen you knew instantly. Fowler you knew instantly. Andy Cole when he was breaking through at Arsenal you knew instantly. This kid is more 'meh. Wouldn't hold out much hope there and anything is a bonus.'

But hey, I've not seen all his 18 appearances so maybe he's shown more to you guys through that.

None of Matic, Bertrand or Sturridge really wowed when they were given the chance at Chelsea, and they were older too. All 3 of them have flourished because clubs have been willing to put time and support into them; it's not always easy able to instantly identify what players can be capable of.

None of Matic, Bertrand or Sturridge really wowed when they were given the chance at Chelsea, and they were older too. All 3 of them have flourished because clubs have been willing to put time and support into them; it's not always easy able to instantly identify what players can be capable of.
Every player is different, not everyone is an instant hero

i really don't have much more to add than that. Both players are still learning. Januzaj had one good year, one bad year, hardly an experiment. You keep decrying "the modern fan" yet want to write off two players so quickly and so early on...

Absolutely spot on.

And writing off player before he even kicked the ball for them.

Jesus, what's with this obsession that the only way to contain world-class attackers is to have full brigade of world-class defenders and keeper.

If that were even remotely true, Barca and Real would bang 10 goals every game. Somehow they don't.

Seriously, just look at Chelsea. What do they really have that's top class? Cortouis, Terry and Azpl....Dave. The other's are just solid players.

And even then, that's the best possible squad. They also somehow contained Bayern for 120 minutes playing Gary Cahill and David ******* Luiz at CB. Don't you just love that smell of world class in the morning? Oh, they also had God of Football Jon Obi Mikel as DM, and Destoyer of Universe Bosingwa as RB. By the standards of this thread, they should've lost that game 0:15.

Similarily, what does Madrid have? Ramos and Pepe. Ramos that's supposedly ****, but he somehow plays as a CB, making it to CL semis 5th year in a row, and along the way he's stopping the attackers from teams that are crushing PL teams in the earlier rounds.

Having bunch of solid players who are playing together consistently for few years>transferring some Jesus of Defending that will change everything.

Last edited:
Madrid, Barca and Chelsea easily had better defence than us on paper last season. We were playing makeshift RB ffs and relying on youth when we didn't really want to. (McNair/Blackett). Chelsea overloaded their own third of the pitch to win CL, Bayern had fuckton of chances so that doesn't mean anything.

Anyone trying to argue we don't need a CB must be on a different planet. Also Mike if we end up losing De Gea and especially Di Maria (looking likely now) please ban me, I am gonna be so ******.

Imagine if Chelsea replaced Hazard and Cortouis with Pedro and Cillessen....... Talk about being a downgrade and a lot less to fear.

Madrid, Barca and Chelsea easily had better defence than us on paper last season. We were playing makeshift RB ffs and relying on youth when we didn't really want to. (McNair/Blackett). Chelsea overloaded their own third of the pitch to win CL, Bayern had fuckton of chances so that doesn't mean anything.

Anyone trying to argue we don't need a CB must be on a different planet. Also Mike if we end up losing De Gea and especially Di Maria (looking likely now) please ban me, I am gonna be so ******.

Imagine if Chelsea replaced Hazard and Cortouis with Pedro and Cillessen....... Talk about being a downgrade and a lot less to fear.
If we lose De Gea, it will be for Ramos. If we lose Di Maria it will be for Pedro, and that's not counting whoever we are chasing anyway

Cillesen

Darmian Ramos Smalling Shaw

Schwinsteiger

Herrera. Schniderlin

Pedro. Memphis

Rooney

Cillesen

Darmian Ramos Smalling Shaw

Schwinsteiger

Herrera. Schniderlin

Pedro. Memphis

Rooney

Pedro is good but Di Maria is a level above potentially can take a team to a whole new level. Why is he bottling out after one season.... Wow.

Less said about Cillessen replacing De Gea the better.. we should aim for much better keeper than him. Even if its someone younger like Leno he will have the same period to adapt but will most likely develop to be much better. I don't get the Cillessen signing at all.. very average... He is going to struggle.

Bayern had a lot of half-chances. Clear chances they had about 3, aka, one every 40 minutes.

And it will be good few years before any PL team can NOT overload their own third of the pitch vs. Bayern.

I sure am not

Back