The Manchester United Thread

I think thats exactly why we have bought Depay. Said from day one he'd get games as a striker then ultimately end up there more and more over the years.

I'm praying this is just for pre season... this formation and Rooney/Depay up top together doesn't work for me. Depay is much better out wide in my opinion.

I'm praying this is just for pre season... this formation and Rooney/Depay up top together doesn't work for me. Depay is much better out wide in my opinion.
Depay will play from the left. Di Maria or Pedro from the right. Depays intelligence will define whether he learn a different way to play and be a striker. Even if he doesn't he is an actual wide goal scorer. Draxler doesn't fit any point, and you have to hope to convert him in one position...

I'm sure that's what I said. In midfield he didn't play well and his performance improved once he was moved and played attacking role.

IMO playing for Barca is more than just being technically good.

Well no, I said he did well when he played in Iniesta's role, as well as in the more offensive way he started being used later on. I would definitely make a distinct difference between attacker and midfielder in this context, especially when you talked about the latter being similar to how he played for Spain, which was as a false nine. It's not that Fabregas didn't play well in midfield in general, it was that he didn't play well in the midfield role that he was expected to fill, which was Xavi's.

tl;dr he played as the passer, the creator and the forward in a 4-3-3. He did well in the latter 2, the first of which is still definitely a midfield role.

Why do that with him, when you can do that with a player we already have? You spend 17m on a player who isn't ready for any of the roles?

What do you class as ready? No young player is the finished article that doesn't mean we shouldn't develop and adapt him into a position he could fulfil if he has all the attributes to. (Schweinsteiger is a prime example what LVG did to him).

Who's the player we already have? If we do why are we looking for a new striker. I assume you mean Wilson... he's good but Draxler wouldn't affect him too much if we sold Hernandez. Still need three strikers minimum.

He didnt do bad in the last game really. He should have got on the end of Mata's goal but he still got himself into that position. The signs are there. We know he can find the net when he gets a chance so its just a case of his movement but it appears him and Rooney are working really hard going off his comments. Im not expecting him to be a striker straight away. More gradually over 2 years or so. Thats why I keep comparing him to Henry because thats how I see him ending up. Left winger cuttting in and getting goals then will ultimately end up as a striker, or basically just have the feedom to do what he wants upfront.

Rooney is coming up to 30. If Depay shadows and learns a lot from Rooney in this first 2 years, I can see him taking over as our main striker.

What do you class as ready? No young player is the finished article that doesn't mean we shouldn't develop and adapt him into a position he could fulfil if he has all the attributes to. (Schweinsteiger is a prime example what LVG did to him).

Who's the player we already have? If we do why are we looking for a new striker. I assume you mean Wilson... he's good but Draxler wouldn't affect him too much if we sold Hernandez. Still need three strikers minimum.
Depay, at worst he is a genuine wide forward. At best he plays both roles. You're unhappy about losing Di Maria, but you then want a player who is going to offset that less than Pedro?

Wouldnt Januzaj currently fit the same profile as Draxler? He could also be doing something with Pereira, although I expect him to be playing off a striker rather than be a main striker.

Depay, at worst he is a genuine wide forward. At best he plays both roles. You're unhappy about losing Di Maria, but you then want a player who is going to offset that less than Pedro?

I don't see why we're changing Depay's role what worked so well for him last season at PSV.... to convert him to a striker to me doesn't make any sense considering we need him more there anyway. Our only alternative option is Young, unless Di Maria stays he could potentially play there.

Like I said, I would buy Draxler to develop him as a striker, not for out wide, in my view Depay is the man we bought for that to compete for place with Young. I didn't think we'd be buying Pedro because we're that set on making Depay a striker.

Well no, I said he did well when he played in Iniesta's role, as well as in the more offensive way he started being used later on. I would definitely make a distinct difference between attacker and midfielder in this context, especially when you talked about the latter being similar to how he played for Spain, which was as a false nine. It's not that Fabregas didn't play well in midfield in general, it was that he didn't play well in the midfield role that he was expected to fill, which was Xavi's.

tl;dr he played as the passer, the creator and the forward in a 4-3-3. He did well in the latter 2, the first of which is still definitely a midfield role.

I remember Fabregas and Iniesta both played as LWF on rotation basis and he was much better as attacker.

The only period where Fabregas looked like Barca player was at the start of 2013-14 season where he just kept on assisting and carried Barca and then faded away after few games.

Obviously he won't play as false 9 for Barca as there is Messi, he played next to Messi and ahead of midfield.

Fabregas' positive contribution to Barca was not from midfield, it was as attacking mid (not sure what to call that position, it was sort of hybrid between midfield and attacker but played next to Messi).

He was too direct for Barca's liking.

Anyways the point which is obviously missed is, it's not easy to shine in Barca team which many believe.

One such article about his 2012-13 season.
The very first three weeks of the 2012-13 season were difficult for Cesc Fabregas as he was so unimpressive in all three games that he was subbed off early in the second half in each of them. He also didn't start either leg of the Supercopa de España, logging only ten minutes in the tie.
But then Cesc exploded. Over the next eight games teams struggled mightily to keep the Spaniard off the scoreboard as he tallied four goals and seven assists over that span. That was, of course, an unsustainable run, but Cesc remained in good form until about the New Year when his form plummeted. In the 2013 part of the season Cesc only featured on the score sheet in six games despite making 26 appearances. Interestingly, the drop of form coincided with a thigh injury Cesc picked up in December which sidelined him for two weeks.
When you round up the numbers of the entire campaign you would think that Cesc had an excellent season for a player that made the majority of his appearances at central midfielder, but it really was a tale of two seasons. While most of the scoring Cesc did came while playing as a false nine he was also quite effective when playing in Andres Iniesta's usual midfield position next to Xavi. There was a drop-off in team fluidity from Iniesta to Cesc, but when Fabregas was in good form it was barely noticeable.

FC Barcelona 2012/13 Season in Review: Cesc Fabregas - Barca Blaugranes

Iniesta and Fabregas rotated in the midfield role and wide attacking role, with Fabregas in the midfield they were not at their best.

Last edited:
I don't see why we're changing Depay's role what worked so well for him last season at PSV.... to convert him to a striker to me doesn't make any sense considering we need him more there anyway. Our only alternative option is Young, unless Di Maria stays he could potentially play there.

Like I said, I would buy Draxler to develop him as a striker, not for out wide, in my view Depay is the man we bought for that to compete for place with Young. I didn't think we'd be buying Pedro because we're that set on making Depay a striker.
Who said anything about changing his role. You allow him to play 2 positions if he is capable. Draxler isn't capable of either. And if you want to develop a young talent project we have one in Januzaj. That's mental to pay 17m for Draxler because he is a hot name.

We have a similar player to Draxler in Januzaj. And we didn't spend 17m for him, why go out and buy a second one when LVG sees the striker role as a long term future for Januzaj?

This is also my point about developing our own youth and the choices we make. Why go and buy Draxler, and then have to give him enough game time to actually develop him, when we can use a younger player that we already have and use that game time to develop them? If we got Draxler, who's game time would be sacrificed to allow him to play just because we have paid £17m for him, because he's got an opportunity in another team and looks half decent? Januzaj's? Wilson's? Pereira's?

Its like what I was saying about Jones. We could have stepped Keane up and gave him game time and developed him, but because Jones was actually given a chance by Blackburn and played well, we go and buy him for £16m. Then all over a sudden we have an opening in the squad to play Jones because we have paid £16m for him and give him enough game time to develop, but Keane gets put back again because we would rather buy a kid that looks OK in another team when they have actually been given a chance, than use one of our own and give them that chance they need.

Who said anything about changing his role. You allow him to play 2 positions if he is capable. Draxler isn't capable of either. And if you want to develop a young talent project we have one in Januzaj. That's mental to pay 17m for Draxler because he is a hot name.

LVG wants to covert Januzaj into a striker? News to me.

I don't understand why Zzeezzy has a hard on for Draxler. We'd be signing a player that plays the roles we have an abundance for. If LVG was in the mood to train a wide player into a striker, Depay would be the better choice. Depay is fast, Intelligent, Can dribble, proven goal scorer, and is build like a brick. It's like Rooney v2.

Buying Draxler doesn't make sense if LVG is going to convert a wide player into an attacker.

This is also my point about developing our own youth and the choices we make. Why go and buy Draxler, and then have to give him enough game time to actually develop him, when we can use a younger player that we already have and use that game time to develop them? If we got Draxler, who's game time would be sacrificed to allow him to play just because we have paid £17m for him, because he's got an opportunity in another team and looks half decent? Januzaj's? Wilson's? Pereira's?

He'd get in the way of Wilson somewhat but it's really irrelevant because we're after a striker anyway. So no matter who it is it will get in the way of Wilson to a degree, rightly or wrongly.

LVG wants to covert Januzaj into a striker? News to me.

I don't know about Draxler but Januzaj has played as striker for U21s for a whole season and did well. Also IIRC he played 1 or 2 games as striker last season but that's nothing as even Di Maria played as striker.

I don't understand why Zzeezzy has a hard on for Draxler. We'd be signing a player that plays the roles we have an abundance for. If LVG was in the mood to train a wide player into a striker, Depay would be the better choice. Depay is fast, Intelligent, Can dribble, proven goal scorer, and is build like a brick. It's like Rooney v2.

Buying Draxler doesn't make sense if LVG is going to convert a wide player into an attacker.

For a player of Draxler's potential to pay only £17m is ****** great deal in this market. But the reason I want him is because at the moment there is no strikers out there we can buy who stand out, we could bring him in and develop him as a striker. In my eyes he has the ability to create something out of nothing - special player, all the attributes to be a striker if he is developed.

I always assumed Depay was going to play out wide, rather than as a striker, despite pre season. We need him more out wide, Young is the only option we have most likely.

Back