The Manchester United Thread

..... The funny thing is you say that about Smalling yet laud Otamendi, who has done it for one season only...

Fair point. Although I've not so much lauded him more on anything I've seen when I've watched him. I was real impressed with him in the Copa America FWIW along with his play last season.

But that's a fair point as I certainly didn't see him play in Portugal.

Fair point. Although I've not so much lauded him more on anything I've seen when I've watched him. I was real impressed with him in the Copa America FWIW along with his play last season.

But that's a fair point as I certainly didn't see him play in Portugal.

Having watched him for 3 years, you would be staggered as to how similar his development is to Smalling's.

That half season Smalling had? extend that to a full season and you have Otamendi, because no one would have paid 50m euros for him last season.

The key here is that Otamendi rarely got injured, hence that great season. That's what Smalling needs.

Having watched him for 3 years, you would be staggered as to how similar his development is to Smalling's.

That half season Smalling had? extend that to a full season and you have Otamendi, because no one would have paid 50m euros for him last season.

Be interesting to watch how he plays in La Liga the second season then.

And I wouldn't disagree on Rojo being more than capable at playing at centre half. Really liked that signing when Utd. made it. He just looks a more natural LB to me and would be better served with an experienced head alongside him rather than being the leader of the middle when he's Jones or Smalling there.

Pre-season friendly, Edgeley Park
Tuesday 28 July, 19:30 BST
STOCKPORT COUNTY 1
(Ledsham 30)

UNITED U21s 1
(Fosu-Mensah 59)

Had the hottest day EVER at Edgeley Park for a pre-season opener 5 or 6 years back. They were handing out free bottles of water and people were literally passing out in the sun.

And then they went and got relegated out of the league to make all that suffering for a new ground pointless! :@.

the theory that better protection in front of the back 4 will lesson the problems behind.

Except its not a theory, its a cold hard fact. Look closer to home, your defence has been leaking basically ever since Mascherano and Alonso left, despite fielding the same lineup in the backline for quite a few years. There has never been a great defense without great DM in front of them, it just doesn't work like that.

The question is only whether Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger can add that kind of quality. Time will tell as usual, but on paper it looks good at least.

Interesting first leg results in the EC qualifiers tonight.

As a travelling fan, the only disappointment would be Donetsk getting a draw at Fenabahce. At least you no longer need a visa for the Ukraine but there and Russia you want to avoid like the plague.

Except its not a theory, its a cold hard fact. Look closer to home, your defence has been leaking basically ever since Mascherano and Alonso left, despite fielding the same lineup in the backline for quite a few years. There has never been a great defense without great DM in front of them, it just doesn't work like that.

The question is only whether Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger can add that kind of quality. Time will tell as usual, but on paper it looks good at least.

Slow down. I wasn't disputing the need for DM cover. I'm with you there.

I was more saying it's still a risk leaving the middle of the defence that was so vulnerable unattended and just hoping support in front compensates enough.

Slow down. I wasn't disputing the need for DM cover. I'm with you there.

I was more saying it's still a risk leaving the middle of the defence that was so vulnerable unattended and just hoping support in front compensates enough.

Its not just support from the front, though. There's also addition of Darmian, and there's McNair and Shaw, who should be developing very rapidly at the age that they are. And I wouldn't be surprised if De Gea improves even more after full year of working under Frans Hoek, who basically wrote the Bible on goalkeeper coaching.

Their defense looks fairly solid to me honestly. There's depth, there's plenty of experience, and these people have played together for a while already, which should've add some much needed stability. Defense organization and positioning vs. Barca looked really super solid. Of course, they would still get slaughtered if Neymar and Mess played, but then who wouldn't?

There's really no need to add anything else to the defense nless they can sign a real superstar there.

Yup, that stood out watching the Barcelona game Tyton man.

Utd's defensive shape was a whole lot better and more solid than last year. Lot of work gone on there on the training pitch along with the new additions.

Its not just support from the front, though. There's also addition of Darmian, and there's McNair and Shaw, who should be developing very rapidly at the age that they are. And I wouldn't be surprised if De Gea improves even more after full year of working under Frans Hoek, who basically wrote the Bible on goalkeeper coaching.

Their defense looks fairly solid to me honestly. There's depth, there's plenty of experience, and these people have played together for a while already, which should've add some much needed stability. Defense organization and positioning vs. Barca looked really super solid. Of course, they would still get slaughtered if Neymar and Mess played, but then who wouldn't?

There's really no need to add anything else to the defense nless they can sign a real superstar there.

What about the theory that Evans and Blackett aren't good enough, the former player has had his chance many times - it has been and gone. Therefore if we sold them because they are not the United level of player, we would need a CB. We can't rely on Evans again under any circumstance.

Interesting first leg results in the EC qualifiers tonight.

As a travelling fan, the only disappointment would be Donetsk getting a draw at Fenabahce. At least you no longer need a visa for the Ukraine but there and Russia you want to avoid like the plague.

Yeah. Plus I kinda support Shaktar cos the wife supports them (she's from Ukraine) and I like always their FM Squad:S
- so I always like to see them do well.

Yeah. Plus I kinda support Shaktar cos the wife supports them (she's from Ukraine) and I like always their FM Squad:S
- so I always like to see them do well.

Only ever been to Kiev which was an experience. At least you no longer need a visa for the Ukraine now so there is that.

But Russia is a complete pain in the ***. The visa is a ridiculous expense to start with. Which now includes you having to turn up at the embassy in person in either Edinburgh or London. (More expense and time.). Then your spending your trip avoiding Russian gronks. Moscow is bad enough but we played Zenit a few years back and that was horrendous. Beautiful city but horrible support with some real vicious attacks. And the police out there are as bad as the neanderthal fans. Russia really is a World on it's on.

Good luck FIFA with the WC.

What about the theory that Evans and Blackett aren't good enough, the former player has had his chance many times - it has been and gone. Therefore if we sold them because they are not the United level of player, we would need a CB. We can't rely on Evans again under any circumstance.

That's why they are back ups. There is no team in the world where 4th choice CB can replace 1st choice without drop in quality.

Sometimes when you look at other managers, it's obvious that Van Gaal has way too class. When Wenger made comments about United just buying players and not giving youth any chance, Van Gaal was asked about it and he refused to answer that. Press asked him about it again and he said he won't make any comment on his colleagues.

Then there was Fergie who knew when to talk and when to shut up.

If that report is accurate, that is a complete insult.

There's bargaining and there's taking the p.

Thing is, that's what Real Madrid did with De Gea, and all they got in return was United being completely unreasonable. Had they offered £20m as a starting point, they'd probably have De Gea.

Sometimes when you look at other managers, it's obvious that Van Gaal has way too class. When Wenger made comments about United just buying players and not giving youth any chance, Van Gaal was asked about it and he refused to answer that. Press asked him about it again and he said he won't make any comment on his colleagues.

Then there was Fergie who knew when to talk and when to shut up.

You need to sometimes take your united goggles off. Van gaal has said some crazy **** in his time too, remember how easily big sam got to him. All managers say ****. Even fergie who was a flat track bully tbh.

You need to sometimes take your united goggles off. Van gaal has said some crazy **** in his time too, remember how easily big sam got to him. All managers say ****. Even fergie who was a flat track bully tbh.

Nonsense, Van Gaal didn't say anything about Big Sam. He said United didn't play long ball and he justified it using his papers.

Van Gaal was asked about Wenger (after he made comments on United changing tradition) and also about Jose (when he made comments on Shaw), on both occasions Van Gaal declined to comment.

You need to think and do some research sometimes before saying anything.

Fergie was flat track bully? Lol, whatever the **** means, it's nonsesne anyways.

Van Gaal dodnt actually say a word about Allardyce, merely defended the long ball claim.

And flat track bully doesn't mean what you think it does here. In fact Ferguson was often very genial with the "lesser" managers of the league. The only one he ever really attacked was benitez. Even his battles with Wenger were built on mutual respect.

Van Gaal dodnt actually say a word about Allardyce, merely defended the long ball claim.

And flat track bully doesn't mean what you think it does here. In fact Ferguson was often very genial with the "lesser" managers of the league. The only one he ever really attacked was benitez. Even his battles with Wenger were built on mutual respect.

Your telling me fergie didn't influence refs. He attacked rafa because he pointed out his improper conduct with refs that often goes unpunished.

Back