The Manchester United Thread

No, he's spot on. Schweinsteiger has no legs to be playing higher.

I disagree :P I think Schneiderlin is the better defensive mid and Schweinstiger still has plenty in his legs, plus will have Herrera next to him who has more legs than a leggy thing. Prefer mine all day :)

Not quite true, he wouldn't have the legs to be playing higher consistently, but would be tactical option there on a game by game basis. Ditto playing him at 10, especially when you wanted to shut down a deep lying threat and counter from high up

Right, I'm not saying its completely out of the question. As an option its fine, I just dont' see it as a standard go-to lineup. Pep tried it in Bayern with Xabi+Bastian and they were always being overrun on the counter. Schweinsteiger reads the game extremely well, but a sprinter he is not. If he's sitting deep he can do what he's best at, and his moblility won't be an issue.

Right, I'm not saying its completely out of the question. As an option its fine, I just dont' see it as a standard go-to lineup. Pep tried it in Bayern with Xabi+Bastian and they were always being overrun on the counter. Schweinsteiger reads the game extremely well, but a sprinter he is not. If he's sitting deep he can do what he's best at, and his moblility won't be an issue.
Same reason I can't see carrick and schweinsteiger starting together often.

Speaking of which, its those two tonight. Can someone let me know where Mata plays?

I've done an article looking at our best midfield combination for the upcoming season and what each option offers us. Give it a read and let me know if you agree :)

What is Manchester United's best midfield?

This article misses one very important point. In Van Gaal's 4-3-3 there won't be 3 CMs. It will be w CMs who will play deeper and 1 player who is more an attacker. Like Bayern lined up against us, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger in midfield and Muller ahead of them.

I'm loving Rooney - Memphis combination. Depay offers pace through the middle and also strong physically.

Schweinsteiger channeling Scholes with these laser accurate longballs.

Too easy for PSG to open up the defense, it should be when we are playing with just 1 CB. Blind is awful and nowhere for both goals. Not even sure what's his position.

Pretty much like I've said, you're being overloaded with pace on the counter.

Very good game anyways, a lot of intensity, doesn't look like a friendly at all.

Last edited:
I really want to see Depay on the wing instead of Young and then maybe Chicarito, Januzaj or Pereira play together with Rooney... Schweinsteiger looking good but still think Schneiderlin edges it

Too easy for PSG to open up the defense, it should be when we are playing with just 1 CB. Blind is awful and nowhere for both goals. Not even sure what's his position.
Yep Blind everywhere but in his position today. Jones was ball watching for 2nd goal and DDG has been awful. Have looked decent at times, but some of our passing has been shocking. Not sure about Carrick and Schweinstiger together. Mata,Darmian,Shaw been very good. Memphis trying to hard again.

Back