The Manchester United Thread

No way our CBs are good enough at the moment, we've been through this endlessly. .

Yeah, we've been through this endlessly, and you've been wrong endlessly. Most of us think they are good enough. More importantly, Van Gaal thinks they are good enough, so you're just going to have to suck it up mate.

Yeah, we've been through this endlessly, and you've been wrong endlessly. Most of us think they are good enough. More importantly, Van Gaal thinks they are good enough, so you're just going to have to suck it up mate.

Well lvg has thought many things since he first came to us, some quite wrong. Proof will be in the pudding. I share zzeezzys concern but i also understand that there are not many great cbs out there but most importantly as a block with the cm additions we will be much more solid. But id be lying if i said our cbs fill me with confidence esp since ddg will surely leave.

ffw-logo-avatar_normal.PNG
FFW @FrenchFtWeekly Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has confirmed that Rafael is set to sign, but reveals agreement yet to be reached. https://twitter.com/JM_Aulas/status/628124525264306176 …

#MUFC have sent emissaries to Barcelona on Monday (today) to finalise the Pedro deal as soon as possible [AS]

Most media in Spain saying Ramos still not happy and DDG and Ramos future will be decided this week.

I'm going to say it again about Otamendi: before last season he genuinely was worse than Smalling. He is the product of time, and a solid system in front of him. That's how you build a quality defender.

In your opinion they aren't good enough, in My opinion they are. Smalling, Rojo, Jones are good enough.

In some ways Steverobo was correct. Lack of patience with young players is so obvious, any mistakes yeah sell them and buy new shiny toy.

I understand your opinion and view on young players but they need a linchpin right now to work around as they can't form a partnership reliably/consistently when one or the other picks up an injury constantly.

How am I wrong just because you think differently? One or two injuries and were relying on players who aren't good enough. Jones hasn't proved anything yet let's not forget that, few good performances sporadically in a season does not make me confident in him be a leading CB to carry us to silverware. Fair enough to Smalling last season in the second half he played regularly and shown what he's capable of.

Mike, no one is saying Otamendi is a massive improvement over the Smalling of last season but he was exceptional last season and put in great performances against the best teams such as Barcelona. I'm not wanting a CB like him just for the sake of replacing another (unless it's Evans or Blackett), I'm wanting one because we need that player who can reliably form a partnership and cover for other players who gets injured for example. If they have experience and the commanding mentality that's also a bonus because we badly lack that in the back line as well.

yQaYTXC6_normal.jpg
SocialRMadrid @SocialRMadrid Benítez: “Big offer for Bale from United? I won’t talk about that.

Interesting. Sounds like we are defo pushing or at least enquiring. Meh.

4th best defence in league last season right? What makes me think that will be suddenly good enough this season to win a title? That flattered us anyway because when your goalkeeper is player of the season it tells the whole story of how he bailed us out on many occasion and saved many points.

4th best defence in league last season right? What makes me think that will be suddenly good enough this season to win a title? That flattered us anyway because when your goalkeeper is player of the season it tells the whole story of how he bailed us out on many occasion and saved many points.

If you can't work out why it's different after all the times people have talked about structure and how defending works, then there is no point asking the question because it cannot be explained any further.

You keep on talking about GK but fails to point out the obvious improvements and same defenders working with coach for more than a year and are much more familiar with his approach.

My last post on this issue.
We have signed a full back who knows how to defend and cover the space.
Shaw playing as LB.
Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin providing cover to the defense.
Smalling's second half performance.
No more 3-5-2
Defenders working with Van Gaal for more than a year and knows what he expects.

No one saying it's suddenly perfect, but there is a clear improvement on our defensive side here.

Liverpool have been doing exactly what is clamoured for, and have spent millions on new defenders in 3 years. They still cannot defend for toffee.

If you can't work out why it's different after all the times people have talked about structure and how defending works, then there is no point asking the question because it cannot be explained any further.

I don't get the structure point, we played under LVG last season we were always structured and well prepared for games, just like we will be this season. Only thing I will say is that we may just be more consistent this season but that's not certain, he could change systems again and sure we'll pick up the usual injuries as we have same personnel.

Then the other side of a coin is when people say we have Schneiderlin, sure it will help but whether it will truly shore up our defence with his protection is not yet seen.

Slightly patronising post Mike... to say the least.

This to me is the most important 'correction' to our team and I just spent an hour chatting to my young nephew and his mates, trying to convince them that our defence will be better next season, even without buying a CB.

The last ditch panic defending we had to do last season on many occasions, should be minimized by decent defending higher up the pitch.
We won't find our CB's under so much pressure and that will show, I'm ****** sure of it.

No one saying it's suddenly perfect, but there is a clear improvement on our defensive side here.

Liverpool have been doing exactly what is clamoured for, and have spent millions on new defenders in 3 years. They still cannot defend for toffee.

Im not saying it won't improve, it will have to this season in order to be champions, but I just can't see that much of an improvement with this personnel due to their inconsistency through injuries, chopping and changing at the back constantly.

I don't get the structure point, we played under LVG last season we were always structured and well prepared for games, just like we will be this season. Only thing I will say is that we may just be more consistent this season but that's not certain, he could change systems again and sure we'll pick up the usual injuries as we have same personnel.

Then the other side of a coin is when people say we have Schneiderlin, sure it will help but whether it will truly shore up our defence with his protection is not yet seen.

Slightly patronising post Mike... to say the least.

The structure clearly isn't the same. For one Carrick was the only holder and he missed half a our games, we won only one game he didnt play in. We've now added Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin, allowing us to play 2 of them at any one time, which is more cover than we have had since the days of Hargreaves. Not even close to being the same.

And using that logic about Schneiderlin, you might as well make that argument for anyone we sign, you can't have it both ways.

It's not patronising to point out the difference between half a Carrick in a 4-2-3-1 that was sometimes 3-5-2 and 2 of Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. If one cannot see how we have far move defensive stability for the defenders, and I dont even count Darmian yet, then what's the point.

Last edited:
Im not saying it won't improve, it will have to this season in order to be champions, but I just can't see that much of an improvement with this personnel due to their inconsistency through injuries, chopping and changing at the back constantly.

That's because you are still failing to look at what is in front of them. I really cant explain it any better than I have done tbh.

This to me is the most important 'correction' to our team and I just spent an hour chatting to my young nephew and his mates, trying to convince them that our defence will be better next season, even without buying a CB.

The last ditch panic defending we had to do last season on many occasions, should be minimized by decent defending higher up the pitch.
We won't find our CB's under so much pressure and that will show, I'm ****** sure of it.

This a 1000 times. Less panic, and less shots on goal means less DDG heroics

You keep on talking about GK but fails to point out the obvious improvements and same defenders working with coach for more than a year and are much more familiar with his approach.

My last post on this issue.
We have signed a full back who knows how to defend and cover the space.
Shaw playing as LB.
Smalling's second half performance.
No more 3-5-2
Defenders working with Van Gaal for more than a year and knows what he expects.

Tbf I didn't even bring this topic up again I was just replying to someone who had with my own opinion. Fullbacks I don't have a problem with btw. Who knows what LVG does this season in reality? He could change systems again, it's part of the modern game and players having to adapt. I can see an impricement with our defence but not so much so that this personnel in CB is good enough to win league. Our depth isn't good and we need another quality CB in my view to replace Evans, if he's better than Smalling/Jones all the better and has a commanding mentality that we lack in the back line.

Back